Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Congo
xenonph submitted a new resource:

Buck Rogers (Gottlieb, 1980) Sound MOD - Sound MOD of BorgDogs great table!!

Buck Rogers (Gottlieb 1980) Sound MOD v2.0
IPD No. 392

I first would like to thank BorgDog for giving me permission to make this sound mod. I would also like to thank him for making a great table!! I also would like to thank everyone who contributed to this table including, Hauntfreaks and Sindbad!!
They put in alot of time and work on the original table, and it is appreciated!! So if you like this mod, I would encourage you to thank the...

Read more about this resource...

Thank you for all the work on this update, and to all the contributions made by all. These are truly works of art!

I created table and loading audio based on the show.

Attachments

• buck_rogers_loading.mp3
    54 KB
  • buck_rogers_table.mp3
    912 KB
Thanks for the mod and update. I've been trying to figure out why the score displays don't light up for me. I'm single-screen desktop and I didn't change anything in the script. The scoring doesn't display correctly on the external DMD either if I have it displayed. The table plays and the sounds are fine - I used the provided .nv file to turn off the ROM scoring sounds. The screenshot below shows what it looks like after I've already played a couple balls. If I use a B2S backglass (I think it's Wildman's), the scoring does work on that.

I guess someone else with the same issue posted a feedback comment last year on another site, but I didn't see anyone reply. I didn't have BorgDog's original table, so I d/l'd it, and I don't get score displays on that as well.

1675376229578.png

Thanks for the mod and update. I've been trying to figure out why the score displays don't light up for me. I'm single-screen desktop and I didn't change anything in the script. The scoring doesn't display correctly on the external DMD either if I have it displayed. The table plays and the sounds are fine - I used the provided .nv file to turn off the ROM scoring sounds. The screenshot below shows what it looks like after I've already played a couple balls. If I use a B2S backglass (I think it's Wildman's), the scoring does work on that.

I guess someone else with the same issue posted a feedback comment last year on another site, but I didn't see anyone reply. I didn't have BorgDog's original table, so I d/l'd it, and I don't get score displays on that as well.

View attachment 35853
That is strange!
I never messed with the LED lights on DT backdrop.
Which is why it behaves same as the original table made by BorgDog which I used for this mod.
It seems to display correctly for me though.
Capture.PNG

Perhaps a rom issue?
Try downloading the rom here and see if that changes anything.

EDIT:
The nvram file provided is pre-initialized for the the machine to accept coins.
I remember seeing this exact thing quite a long time ago on Pink Panther table also.
What version of VPinMAME are you using? Have you tried updating to newest?

Last edited:
Thanks for responding so quickly.

I had d/l'd the ROM from here, but I went ahead and d/l'd it again just in case - I unlock .zip's pretty much all the time now whether I think it's necessary or not. No change.

I'm using VPinMAME 3.5 (23Oct 22), which I was under the impression is the newest and VP 10.7.2. Embarrassingly, I guess I d/l'd your Pink Panther MOD v3.1 before Xmas and hadn't actually started a game because, yes, I'm having the same issue with it - no score displays. I guess someone did mention that issue with PP last September in a different forum.

I guess maybe I can/should post in the support thread for BorgDog's original table.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I had d/l'd the ROM from here, but I went ahead and d/l'd it again just in case - I unlock .zip's pretty much all the time now whether I think it's necessary or not. No change.

I'm using VPinMAME 3.5 (23Oct 22), which I was under the impression is the newest and VP 10.7.2. Embarrassingly, I guess I d/l'd your Pink Panther MOD v3.1 before Xmas and hadn't actually started a game because, yes, I'm having the same issue with it - no score displays. I guess someone did mention that issue with PP last September in a different forum.

I guess maybe I can/should post in the support thread for BorgDog's original table.

Hey try this, go into table script, and on Line 102, you will see this..
.hidden = 1

change 1 to 0 so it looks like this...
.hidden = 0

This will bring up the PinMAME window when table is ran.
See if it displays correctly with the PinMAME window.

Hey try this, go into table script, and on Line 102, you will see this..
.hidden = 1

change 1 to 0 so it looks like this...
.hidden = 0

This will bring up the PinMAME window when table is ran.
See if it displays correctly with the PinMAME window.

I probably should've mentioned that I had tried that and, yes, the PinMAME window does display the score, credits, ball in play, etc, correctly. Here's a screenshot from Torch which I was trying out. Based on the table screenshot on the d/l page, I think this table is also supposed to have score displays on the background, but I don't see them. Just like with Buck Rogers, the score on the external DMD is not displaying correctly because it's like all the segments for the zeroes don't turn off.

1675404189683.png

I probably should've mentioned that I had tried that and, yes, the PinMAME window does display the score, credits, ball in play, etc, correctly. Here's a screenshot from Torch which I was trying out. Based on the table screenshot on the d/l page, I think this table is also supposed to have score displays on the background, but I don't see them. Just like with Buck Rogers, the score on the external DMD is not displaying correctly because it's like all the segments for the zeroes don't turn off.

View attachment 35858

Try going into your VPinMAME folder and opening the DmdDevice.ini with notepad.
Look for this...

[alphanumeric]
enabled = false
style = default

Set that to enabled = true and see if it helps.
If it doesn't set it back to false.

Like I said I remember having this problem on Pink Panther as well as Buck Rogers a while back, but the scoring LED's are working great now for me.

@kirby34
I think these tables are hardcoded to shut off the DT LED's if you have B2S enabled in your Keys Preferences.
Click Preferences Tab, and click Key, Nudge DOF.
Now Checkmark Disable B2S.
Now see if the DT LED's are working.
Capture.PNG

@kirby34
I think these tables are hardcoded to shut off the DT LED's if you have B2S enabled in your Keys Preferences.
Click Preferences Tab, and click Key, Nudge DOF.
Now Checkmark Disable B2S.
Now see if the DT LED's are working.

BINGO!! That was it! Unbelievable. Haha. Thank you SOOOO much! Sorry, that you've had to spend this much time helping me out. I hope it also helps someone else in the future.

I am so glad that I hadn't hit Submit Reply yet in the other forum. As usual, I kept re-wording my post and came back over here, saw your previous reply, tested it out, and was in the middle of replying when I saw the notification that was another reply. I just tested it on the other of his tables I d/l'd and the displays are showing up on those, too - Torch, Time Line, Solar Ride, etc.

1675407622080.png

Thanks again!

In case you were wondering, when I tried what you mentioned in the previous reply about editing dmddevice.ini and started the table, I guess because I still had the external DMD turned on, it opened a bunch of smaller DMD's which basically were what the individual displays would contain, though they weren't blue. You can see them stacked on top of each other in the upper left. I started dragging them around, but quickly realized that couldn't be right. Heh.

1675407830075.png

@kirby34

Yeah I was grasping at straws there.
Just trying to help.

Hmm. Methinks that Disable B2S checkbox is going to get quite the workout in the future. :lol:

Hmm. Methinks that Disable B2S checkbox is going to get quite the workout in the future. :lol:

If you use backglasses for most of your tables, you could just run these tables with small backglass off to side.
Like this...
-attack-from-mars--bally-1995--vpx-db2sdt-colordmd-mod-v10.png
or this...
-judge-dredd--bally-1993--vpx-db2sdt-colordmd-mod-v10.png

On the Pink Panther table, you want to use a backglass, as the DT LED's have no lights for some of the things, like the Backglass does have.
I believe the new B2S Server keeps the backglass on same screen as table now.

@xenonph Thanks for the tips. While I do have VPX and FP installed on both my desktop and laptop, admittedly, the vast majority of the time I find myself playing on my laptop. I don't use too many backglasses on my laptop as things are already relatively small on the screen and in the case of these mod'd BorgDog Gottlieb tables, I like the relatively large score displays, so I'd probably shy away from using a backglass.

However, and this may seem illogical, I don't mind having PUP Packs displayed on my laptop, so I have quite a few PUP-enabled tables which would require the B2S to be enabled. It's not a big deal. I've already become used to hitting Alt-P-K and clicking on the checkbox. :bonk:

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back