VP8 Bally SS Recreation Cactus Canyon V1.0 Released v1.2

No permission to download
Solid State Machines

PacDude

Pinball Wizard
Solutions
Reaction score
Ho Ho Ho!

SantaPac has come early this year and he's asking all you good girls and boys to be extra nice and help out some worthy charities this holiday season! :)

SantaPac knows the good girls and boys will do this and so he's giving you your present in advance, a new VPM pinball table! :)

Thus, SantaPac has uploaded Cactus Canyon V1.0 to this site!

Remember that SantaPac is watching you!

Ho Ho Ho!

:johntiltjlp:

Cactus Canyon Release Notes:
---------------------------------------

-Press F6 for Options Menu during the game

-I recommend if you feel this table is worthwhile to play and that you'd probably pay money to play it if it were commercial or if you'd like to thank the author, that you consider making a donation to a reputable charity. Remember that not everyone is as well off as you are to have a computer to play games on. Some people don't even have basic needs in this world like food and shelter. Obviously, this is just a voluntary request by the table author who'd like to see some good come out of his time that he donated for free to recreate this table for the pinball community. Even if you don't like the game, consider donating anyway. You'll feel better about yourself.

Table Notes:
==========

-This table is a brand new version of Cactus Canyon, unrelated to any other versions of Cactus Canyon for VP. V1.0 is the first public release of this table. Note that like with all VPM tables, you should have legal copies of the rom sets to actually play the table. These do not come with the table and should NEVER be distributed with it. Use this product at your own risk. The author assumes no responsibility for this product's use or misuse thereof.

- There are three backdrops available in the game. The default is "back_glass" and is based on the backglass for the actual pin. The other two are "back_room" and "back_room2" and shows the table in two different game rooms (one with a window and one very dark against a brick wall). These can be selected from VP's backdrop menu.

- There are alternate cabinet rails and lockbars included as well. Select the side rails in the table editor in turn (e.g. select the left rail's image and change it from "Left Rail Dark" to "Left Rail Medium" for instance) and change the images for them and then the lockbar decal image to match (there are currently dark and medium rails available with matching dark and chrome lockbars). It helps to have basic editor skills to make these changes.

-Mods are allowed (as usual with my releases), but please label your tables as such, both in this table info section and the table and zip file names and leave my credits intact. I'd prefer you keep your own RevHistory file with a different name, but including the previous entries prior to your mod.

Note: This table uses VP "Reel" objects for animation and some lighting effects. They are known to sometimes not display correctly on some graphics cards and/or certain drivers. I've got such a card and have taken steps to work around this VP bug, but I can't be certain it will work for all PCs. Disabling DirectDraw acceleration in the Direct X prefs panel in Windows often solves the problem for most people, so you might want to try that if you see major glitches. Just remember to turn it back on when you are done or other programs may perform poorly. Using 16-bit color sometimes helps as well and usually results in smoother play anyway.

-The table looks best at 1600x1200 resolution, but may perform unsatisfactorily on slower PCs at that resolution. although disabling wall lighting effects (or eve sound) can help regardless of resolution.

Cactus Canyon VP Table Options Menu Settings:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This menu is accessed by pressing F6 during the game and controls actual VP table related options I've provided.

Disable Menu:
----------------------

Lights - This option will disable all playfield lights. It will also save a bit of cpu time (helpful during wizard mode on slower computers, particularly if combined with disabling flashers).

Flashers - This option will disable all table flashers. It will save a bit of CPU time during times when the flashers would be heavily active.

Fading Light Effect - This turns off the fading light effect the table normally uses for most lights to simulate incandescent bulb cooling. Lights will immediately go dark instead of fading out. It will also use a bit less CPU power so the table should run a bit faster.

Fading Flasher Effect - This turns off the fading flasher light effect the table normally uses for flashers. Lights will go dark immediately instead of fading out (similar to fading light option).

Menu At Start - Selecting this option will disable the option menu from popping up when you first start the table. You can still bring up the options menu with the F6 key during the game, but to use a different rom you will need to exit the table and restart it before it takes effect.

Yield Time - Turns off the Yield Time check in the script whereby Vpinmame 1.20 or greater gets yield time applied to it, which helps smooth the gameplay on most computers. Other (usually faster) computers will perform worse with it on and so it should be disabled if you get choppy gameplay. This requires an exit and restart for it to take effect. If you get choppy gameplay with it on and off you probably either have a slow computer or something else is wrong in your setup. The default yield value is 1 and can be found at the top of the table script. A setting of 2 sometimes works better on some computers, particularly if the computer is fast enough and there are sound hiccups.

Enable Menu:
----------------------

Drop Target Decals - When checked, the four "bad guy" drop targets will have the original art decals applied to them showing a different character for each drop target instead of the plain yellow drop targets that shipped with most Cactus Canyon games from the factory. Many Cacctus Canyon owners have applied them to their machines post-facto, though.

Apparently, the decals made it hard to see the drop targets when they popped up as they tended to blend in with the playfield. The same issue exists here to some extent, but it's up to you whether you prefer to see images on the drop targets or not.

Table Difficulty
-----------------------
This menu allows you to select either a "Normal" or "Hard" difficulty setting. Some of the features for either setting can be customized at the top of table script where indicated. Flippers can be adjusted directly (there are two overlapping pairs on the table marked for difficulty)

The deault NORMAL setting uses flippers with black rubbers and a lower power setting (0.7), a table slope of 7 and sets the outlane posts to their low setting

The default HARD setting uses flippers with red rubbers and a higher power setting (1.1), a table slope of 9 and sets the outlane posts to their high setting. It also features a stronger maximum plunger speed.

Select Rom
------------------
This menu will allow you to select a different game rom for Cactus Canyon. The available choices are:

L-3 - Latest Rom Revision
L-2 - 2nd public Rom Revision

L-3 Rom Changes from L-2
------------------------------------------
* Fixed problem were right loop shots were falsely credited to the player.

* Fixed a condition on the Mine where the motor would run if the player was playing Gold Mine Multiball, with Motherlode Lit, and tilted on his last ball.

* Fixed a condition on the Train where the motor would run if the player was playing Polly Peril, with the train running, and tilted on his last ball.

---You will need to exit the table and start it up again for the changes to take effect if selected from the options menu during a game (not neccessary when selecting it from the menu before the table starts, assuming the start menu option hasn't been disabled).

Rev History:
==========
V 1.0 (Released 11/29/2004)
- First Public Release

Attachments

• cactuscanyon_1-0r2.jpg
    cactuscanyon_1-0r2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 677
  • cactuscanyon_1-0.jpg
    cactuscanyon_1-0.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 686
Fun game, though for whatever reason when I downloaded the table the table image was set to Playield_Lit (a rather offset purple image, displaying only the top mini playfield correctly and yes spelt like that). I found the correct image seems to be ApronArea, which does work. Just wondering have you upped the correct version?

Weird maybe just my end, everyone else seems ok, mmmm....let's check this thing again?

Bizzare?....was fine this time?

You sure you didn't change that there zip on me partner? :mexican:

First time I've had that ever happen..oh well. :s

Attachments

• ccp.jpg
    ccp.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 632
You probably have been takin' some weird pills Steve. :) It worked perfectly for me.

To go with the words of a famous pinball machine named CueBallWizard:
EeehhHaahh - What a shot!!!

CC is one of the "newer" pinball tables i really enjoy playing,...
Just finished DLing and will give it a,...hmmm,...SHOT! :guns:
(What else,...?)

T-H-A-N-K-S :flower:

Oooh,...
Guess StevOz got the "g@y" version by accident,...hehehe,... :irony:

I don't know why it did that (playfield_lit is the correct playfield), but that purple look is kind of cool, sort of a psychadelic black light look. :D

I've seen something similar happen once on another table (I forget which one).

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Free Bally! has left the room.
      Back