Williams Cyclone (Williams, 1988) Flipper Restarts Game

jjn289

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Cyclone
I have a Williams Cyclone pinball machine and I'm trying to replace a flipper coil. It functioned for a while, now when I hit the right flipper, the game restarts. No flipper action, the game just quits and restarts. Any ideas? My new coil still looks to be good, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

Sounds like a current overdraw. I'm surprised this does not blow a fuse. Recheck your wiring and direction of snubber diode. Look for any thing that could be touching connections or switch blades. If no source of the short is found then check the coil and diode for shorts. A coil less than 4 Ohms should be compared with the functioning flipper coil.
I just checked your schematic and saw capacitors across your flipper switches. If shorted they would just act like closing the switch but check them any way. I see no flipper boards or electronics so this should relatively "easy" to track down.
Internet says"FL11630 coils have 4.7 Ohms/ 161 Ohms the long way, red wrapper, medium strength, WICO # 04-0178"

Last edited:
I would pull the power supply and change cap c7. This 5v section cap goes bad and is factor in many restart problems. This cap also leaks and takes out circuit board traces. The 5v bridge would be the next to change.

After reading the above idea. I wonder if the new coil matches the original or why only the right flipper is causing trouble?

It's the correct replacement coil; red wrapper. The original coil apparently overheated, as the sleeve was melted inside. This new coil worked initially, albeit weakly. I'll check resistance in the morning, but I seem to remember both of them (functional and not) being similar.

Weak flipper coil function is often due to dirty end of stroke contacts. While closed they handle the current for main coil windings. A jumper across the contacts can reveal that problem. You would get weak activity if the coil connections are reversed and the hold windings are trying to pull the solenoid in. This should not cause excess current draw but other mis-wiring could. I wonder what 'Smoked' your first coil?

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Free Bally! has left the room.
      Back