Solved Dmd window is always in background and can't get it displayed when playing some certain tables

Clsx

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Black Knight
Hi ;

While it works fine most of the time , for most tables , the dmd window is sometimes permanently in background when playing a table

The table plays normally , and hear sounds and everything , and dmd is running too (can see it when I do alt-tab) , but even I highlight it with alttab-ing,

when I return to VP main screen it returns to foreground immediately and cant display it at all

I tried to right click and do 'set position' etc but can't get the right click menu display even

It occurs on few tables only , but annoying and want to fix if possible

thanks

Solution
@Clsx
That Archive.org set is far from being complete.
Most of the roms in that set are missing files inside the roms.
When I recently updated all the roms on this site from my personal collection, I cross checked them with the Archive.org set.
I found 100's and I mean 100's of roms that were missing sound files inside the roms, and much more in that Archive.org set!!
There were quite a few roms I updated here on this site also, possibly over 100 that needed updating.
So I would download every rom from this site, and copy them over that Archive.org set, to have a more complete set.
You can compare the roms from Pinball Nirvana to that Archive.org set and you will see exactly just how many roms are not up to date in that...
@Clsx
When you alt tab and get the DMD window to show, just left click on it with mouse, and move it a bit left and right, then click on table with mouse.
The DMD should stay now.

@Clsx
When you alt tab and get the DMD window to show, just left click on it with mouse, and move it a bit left and right, then click on table with mouse.
The DMD should stay now.

Thanks ,

The thing is that I can't even get the dmd window to show in this circumstance , it seems it is completely minimized or something like that :(

This one

Dr Dude (Williams)(1990)(bmiki75, Rascal)(2.0)[VP912][High Resolution]

I encountered the same issue in 1 other table too but can't remember which one it was

Ok this window will be long and skinny, not like other DMD windows.
Try this..
Capture.PNG
Go into your VPinMAME folder and run the Setup.exe.
Now click Test.
Now another window will pop up and you need to choose the rom the table is using, which in this instance is the dd_l2 rom.
Now highlight the rom and click Start.
Now look for the skinny window, as the table won't be in the way, and move it to where you can see it.
Now next time you start the table, it should be right where you placed it.

Wow , thanks for the kind reply , will try and report back : )

Wow , thanks for the kind reply , will try and report back : )
m
Ok this window will be long and skinny, not like other DMD windows.
Try this..
View attachment 26969
Go into your VPinMAME folder and run the Setup.exe.
Now click Test.
Now another window will pop up and you need to choose the rom the table is using, which in this instance is the dd_l2 rom.
Now highlight the rom and click Start.
Now look for the skinny window, as the table won't be in the way, and move it to where you can see it.
Now next time you start the table, it should be right where you placed it.

I followed the steps , and while the rom shows up as you showed there , it is still invisible (nowhere on the screen) , but I can view it when I hover on it by mouse cursor on taskbar , which it seems to be running as it should , but when I click on it it becomes invisible again

I have downloaded the latest romset from ao , and have the latest 3.5 beta from vpforum thread

I don't encounter any error or message , the dmd window is runnin apparently but anywhere to be seen

Any ideas ?

Thanks

@Clsx
That Archive.org set is far from being complete.
Most of the roms in that set are missing files inside the roms.
When I recently updated all the roms on this site from my personal collection, I cross checked them with the Archive.org set.
I found 100's and I mean 100's of roms that were missing sound files inside the roms, and much more in that Archive.org set!!
There were quite a few roms I updated here on this site also, possibly over 100 that needed updating.
So I would download every rom from this site, and copy them over that Archive.org set, to have a more complete set.
You can compare the roms from Pinball Nirvana to that Archive.org set and you will see exactly just how many roms are not up to date in that Archive.org rom set!!
This happens alot when downloading these bulk packages.
You have to rely on the person who put it together that they know what they are doing.
I personally tested each and every rom in my collection to make sure they were all up to date.

If you still are having problems finding your DMD,

You can add this line of script to the Table Init sub, and it will put the DMD in upper left corner of screen every time.

Controller.Games("dd_l2").Settings.Value("dmd_pos_x")=0
Controller.Games("dd_l2").Settings.Value("dmd_pos_y")=0

So now you will know exactly where it is positioned. Upper Left corner of your screen.
Then you can click on it with left mouse, and move it back and forth a bit, and it should stay on top afterwards like the rest of them.

Solution
Thanks for your kind reply :)

Unfortunately I think as for Dr.Due table , the rom I have is exactly the same one on PN (file size , contents) , and even after downloading and copying the new rom it made no difference :(

I will try adding script line method tomorror , where should I add that line in the table script ?

Thanks as always and have a nice day

Add it to to the Table Init sub.

If you're reading this for the 1st time you might want to jump to my second edit - /edit2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And if you play fullscreen and want to roll that DMD i have some copy&paste from posts at vpforums. I can't confirm they work now or if things changed in the mean time. This is old stuff and have a couple of notes of my own.

anyway, here's a C&P from my locat .txt on DMDs

In the table script look for:

Controller.GameName="ij_l7" ' <- rom name changes per table
If Table1.Rotation=0 Then Controller.Games("ij_l7").Settings.Value("rol")=0 <- set rol to 1 to rotate left. maybe roR to rotate right for some people?
'Controller.Games("ij_l7").Settings.Value("dmd_pos_x")=0
'Controller.Games("ij_l7").Settings.Value("dmd_pos_y")=0
Controller.ShowTitle=0
Controller.ShowFrame=0
Controller.ShowDMDOnly=1
Controller.HandleMechanics=0

sometimes this alone does not work and Registry editor settings may be required:

call REGEDIT. Look for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame\default". In the window to the right when DEFAULT is selected there will be a line ROL. Make sure ROL is set to 1 (or from the example above myabe ROR is there?) by selecting it, and changing it.

Close Regedit. Restart the table but you will need to adjust the dmd window. Just right click on the DMD window, and select SHOW WINDOW BORDER, and you can drag the corners to whatever size you like. Close the table and run again, and you should be set.

Have PHun :)

/edit1

I wanted to see if what I have was still valied so I launched pin.bot.

I don't have that registry hack anymore and the script doesn't have any of those controller.* entries. But it had the line that I quote below to which I added ", rol=1" (in bold).

Then I just had to resize and move the DMD by right clickin it, click show border and move it and resized to where I wanted.

Const cGameName="pb_l5",UseSolenoids=2,UseLamps=0,UseGI=0,SSolenoidOn="SolOn",SSolenoidOff="SolOff", SCoin="coin", rol=1

/edit2
After some experimentation this is working for me every time. I'm trying this with vp10.7.x versions only, btw.
  • Look for Sub Table1_Init and add teh bold part. Just this, no registry changes either.
  • Launch table, right click dmd to show border, resize and position at will.
  • Right click DMD again to remove the border.
  • You might need to press F1 and select "Show DMD" - You may need to reset the table with F3

Done :)

Sub Table1_Init
vpmInit Me
On Error Resume Next
With Controller
.GameName = cGameName
If Err Then MsgBox "Can't start Game" & cGameName & vbNewLine & Err.Description : Exit Sub
.Games(cGameName).Settings.Value("rol")=1

Last edited:
While we are on the subject, might as well show you these color DMD commands I used in the NFL mods to make them all have matching Team Colors DMD's.

Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_red") = 255
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_green") = 255
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_blue") = 255
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_red66") = 255
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_green66") = 255
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_blue66") = 255
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_red33") = 5
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_green33") = 80
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_blue33") = 50
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_red0") = 0
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_green0") = 0
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_blue0") = 0

and a few more commands...
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_pos_x")=0
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_pos_y")=0
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_width")=493
Controller.Games("nfl").Settings.Value("dmd_height")=220

You can find a few more of these commands in my VPX NFL mods, where I toggle altsound automatically, and colorDMD.

Bump to indicate a new edit. Please check /edit2

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Killabot has left the room.
      Back