Don’t Try To Tease Me

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Oops, I initially forgot to add this disclaimer folks, and Bob replied to it before I had a chance to add it. As bad as some of us seem to think the so-called VP community is, it could always be worse. Below is a post I made at three different pipe and tobacco forums. The pipe and tobacco forum community is plagued with the BS described below, and that's just for starters. There are also tobacco snobs who insist you're tasteless if you don't smoke their favorite blends. And then there are always flaire ups about the cost and value of High End hand carved pipes, as well as those who look down on those of us who collect and smoke Lowly corncob pipes. So maybe PN and VPF aren't as bad as some of us seems to think.

I belong to roughly a dozen forums of all sorts, and most of them have the same problem, caused by members who try to be either clever or cute. I’m talking about Teaser Titles for threads they begin. Some do try to be cute, other try for clever, but I see them all as goofy at beast and dumb at worst. Now I’ll forgive new members who might not know forum common sense, or all the various Specialized Terms used for the hobby or interest focus of the forum.

But there are fools who start forum thread with titles such as Look At This, or You Have To See This, or maybe You Will Not Believe This. While some forum members read every post on a forum, I only read what interests me. And how the heck can I know if something will interest me if all the title says is Hey, Looky Here?

Now, I’m not, and have never been a Lemming, and find much of what is posted on any forum a waste of my time to read. Which is why I very seldom read Happy Birthday threads if I don’t consider the member a friend. And I often don’t even look at any Happy Birthday tiltjlp threads either. I also hardly ever read off topic threads, because I go to forums to read about pipes and tobacco, or pinball, or some other topic that interests me.

Now, to be honest, I don’t want to read a brag post about your new car, what beer you drink, or what hat you wear when you smoke your pipes. And if I don’t feel I know you a bit, I’m not going to read about your financial or health problems. I’m not hard-hearted, but I have my own problems and don’t need to read about anyone else’s.

So, the next time you start a thread, why not use a title that lets us all know what your post is about? You might be surprised to get a reply from me, since I just might decide that the topic interests me, once you tell me what it is you’re posting about. Also, I’m an old man, so would you do me a favor and use real English, rather than text message shorthand? Thanks for your understanding. And if you don’t understand or agree, and want to bash me, go right ahead, I probably won’t understand your reply anyway.

Last edited:
OK, I just had to post as the clever thread title enticed me just enough to click on the thread so I could find out just what in hell is John ranting about now. Don't you just hate thread titles like that?

This thread reminds me of Andy Rooney, I always liked the guy, but it seems he annoyed many people as much as life annoyed him. I always thought he was witty as hell and it turns out that the guy was just a scrooge with a typewriter. Who'd a thunk it? I'll still miss him as I like truly unique characters. I like people who go through life on their own terms. Andy Rooney would have titled this thread as he saw it..... "Forum Thread Titles That Annoy Me"

OK, I just had to post as the clever thread title enticed me just enough to click on the thread so I could find out just what in hell is John ranting about now. Don't you just hate thread titles like that?

This thread reminds me of Andy Rooney, I always liked the guy, but it seems he annoyed many people as much as life annoyed him. I always thought he was witty as hell and it turns out that the guy was just a scrooge with a typewriter. Who'd a thunk it? I'll still miss him as I like truly unique characters. I like people who go through life on their own terms. Andy Rooney would have titled this thread as he saw it..... "Forum Thread Titles That Annoy Me"

Bob, just to be mentioned in the same post as Andy Rooney is an honor, and makes my day. As another well known commentator used to say, Now, The Rest Of The Story . . .

Oops, I initially forgot to add this disclaimer folks, and Bob replied to it before I had a chance to add it. As bad as some of us seem to think the so-called VP community is, it could always be worse. What I posted here is a thread I made at three different pipe and tobacco forums. The pipe and tobacco forum community is plagued with the BS described below, and that's just for starters. There are also tobacco snobs who insist you're tasteless if you don't smoke their favorite blends. And then there are always flaire ups about the cost and value of High End hand carved pipes, as well as those who look down on those of us who collect and smoke Lowly corncob pipes. So maybe PN and VPF aren't as bad as some of us seems to think.

good to see you're still around, john. you sounded so ill at one time that i thought you weren't going to make it.

good, also, to hear about the multi-site approach. i've found that to be a pretty good shot in the arm of internet social sanity.

there's also the fact that forums in general have changed a lot in the last ten years... evolving in some ways and devolving in others. i've had to keep learning and adapting, anyway.

pretty soon i'll need to stick one USB cable up my schnozola and another one up my wazoo in order to stay connected. although maybe that's just an andy rooney thing.

Nice to see you're still around too Nick. Luckily, all of my health problems have been fairly minor, and other than aches and pains, and some forgetfulness, I'm doing as well as I have for a number of years. I'm much more active with some Pipe & Tobacco forums and a few others than I am here, but I still enjoy having Bob rag on me when I spout off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back