Flipping?

dzignbe said:
Normally you adjust the flippers on a pinball machine so the bats (with rubber on) are directly continued from the inlane guide, and the ball rolls further in a straight line without interruption.. Not steeper, not less steep. Straight on, so the speed of the pinball doesn't change (which would make aiming for shots more difficult).

Good find. Indeed, this makes perfect sense; I'd just never really thought about it before.

One thing that still blows my mind is how authors will put hours and hours in to graphics editing, coding, and whatever else, but will do something completely weird with the flippers. They'll be at completely unnatural angles, have terrible physics settings, or sometimes just have weird, unnatural colors / lighting. Maybe it's not so much a problem with modern re-creation authors, but it sure used to be.

I remember Scapino spending countless hours hand-rendering his beautiful graphics overlays, but his flippers would typically be set to mimic wood. Try to do a simple bounce pass and it would be a quick drain, lol.

Indeed I always found it strange that on most of, if not all the VP mods I did, the flippers never shared the exact same y coodinate and it would seem have just been placed into position by hand to look about right?

I would manually enter in the y values to match and also do the same for the X values to better centre the flippers whilst ensuring a smooth transition from the inlanes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back