• This particular section gets infrequent use these days, so we'd honestly recommend you check out Pinside's Biz and Market sections as well.

Still, there's a load of history here that may help researchers. When using the "Search" button in upper right, be sure to choose "This forum."

Bally Hang Glider backglass

Particlebox

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Fun Land
Looking for a great condition Hang Glider glass.

Just randomly noticed this request (thanks Spider-Bot!) and figured I'd do a backglass reconstruct to commemorate this 12yr-old thread.

For actual, physical backglasses, try these:

Too bad Shay's sample pics aren't a little larger. I could make some nice images out of those, as they're in such good condition.

I've heard that BGResto can take a while to do a job, but does very good work. I don't imagine there's many places that actually recondition the peeling art on a glass the way they do(!)

BGResto don't recondition, you get a new backglass

BGResto don't recondition, you get a new backglass
It is literally the basis of their name.

"At BGresto.com we restore and repair the artwork on pinball backbox backglass score glasses..."
(read the rest at the top of the site).

In their long-running blog they talk about doing everything from minor touchups to having to completely rebuild the art from external sources, to replacing the original glass because it got shattered in transit.

I think all that's why their jobs take such a variable amount of time. Because they're not just selling from stock, but usually doing a custom job based on what you send them.

"At BGresto.com we restore and repair the artwork on pinball backbox backglass score glasses..."
(read the rest at the top of the site).
And do you know anyone who has used their services?
I know plenty of people, none have ever sent in an old backglass and had it "restored"

They are feeding a line to get around the same copyrights as VP table authors do
you are allowed to get copyrighted images made if the original has been destroyed, BGResto never asks for proof of the originals destruction

I haven't been around fellow owners for many years, so no. But it's not hard to google people who've used that service. Most seemed to like it, a few not so much. But the service clearly exists.

I mean look, Pete, what do you think is supposed to happen when a person reads THIS SECTION and goes ahead and sends in the backglass? Are you suggesting BGResto claims it was lost in shipping or some other counterfeit response? The internet (like PinSide) would be full of pissed-off people if so.

"We do need your old glass in hand though before we can proceed with a restoration."
--http://bgresto.com/?page_id=57

Yeah maybe they have a handshake deal with a few customers to sell them mint, reproduced glasses, but clearly, for new customers, they're telling them they need a real backglass and showing them how to pack it. Later, people are writing elsewhere about how they liked the results.

Read the blog. There's plenty of examples of various-condition glasses sent in where they had to figure out how to best restore it, and then came up with various-quality results.

@Pop Bumper Pete,
Also, the company's been around a good while, which means there'd likely be talk online if they were in fact running a shady operation. I'm thinking they'd probably have gotten in trouble by now, or else come to the conclusion that the IP holders don't care enough to go after them, yeah?

Or from the other POV-- what is your actual evidence that the whole restoration model is an elaborate fraud?

it comes up on local forums
nobody in Australia has ever sent a flakey backglass to be restored
Shipping a glass to/from Australia to the USA is $170 USD one way, so that is $340 USD just to ship, then there is the cost of the "restoration" $200 USD (?)

Right, I gather that common users of the service are in N.America.

Shipping is much less, and it's evidently cheaper to get a lightly-flaked glass restored than pay for a whole new one. Or with heavier damage, sometimes it's still worth repairing due to the scarcity of a good-condition glass for certain machines. There's always the preventative maintenance aspect as well.

A number of PinSide people seem to know the guy and have had work done. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to some of the shows.

I think sometimes your theories run away with you a little bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back