VP9 Help HELP! My file VPinball992 within Visual Pinball keeps crashing & won't show the editor! It seems to have happened after I setup the B2S.exe!

1st2MprovFIRE!

Fixed the orig."Fire!" & "4 Roses" tables in '12
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
FIRE!
Does anyone know a way to un-do the B2S server stuff?! Everything was fine,until I followed the instructions to setup the B2S Backdrop for a table file. Which,it isn't useful for me anyway,it turns out. As,my monitor isn't a WS. It's actually a REALLY old CRT & I was just curious if I could play w/ the file,because I thought I could re-size & move the BackGlass around. Stuff like that...

Anyway,somehow my VPinball992.exe is now not allowing me to even bring the editor up! Is there a way to fix this? Or,can I just download the exact VP992 file somewhere & delete this defective file then install the New copy???

I'm at a loss. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also,VP99PhysMod5 no longer works,as well. But,I dodn't use that 1 much,anyway...

Last edited:
As far as I know you can just download b2s from github, unzip to existing folder, reregister and run the screenresidentifier
Actually, been months since I updated so I took the opportunity update from 2.0.3 (from ~3months ago) to 2.1.0, and the 2 tables I've loaded worked. One has backglass with integrated highscores display segments and the other had a backglass and the DMD on top (i only have 2 screens).

I see no reason for the downgrade no to work but YMMV, as usual.

I've actually re-installed everything multiple times,in every way possible & even deleted every Registry Key related to the B2S naming,that I was allowed to(some said I couldn't delete the values completely,in the HardDisk area). It only will not run VP9-1-VP9.5 . All others will still work,for some reason... I think when I downloaded the VPX 7.3 file it must've left a permanent mess somewhere. As,it was after I dwnlded that & tried to run a B2S-using game. Like I described above,briefly...

I think whatever happened,would take a genius to figure-out how to actually fix this. Since,it looks like the damage is stuck somewhere permanently. either that,or now VP9.1-VP9.5 files are associated in my system as not allowed to function normally???

I mean,I think it could be that the default files in the download are carrying a conflict w/ them that triggers my embedded damaged file(must be on the Hard-Disk,permanently) Unless,it's stuck in the .NET framework files & if I delete that,it goes away???

Does it sound like that would work in this situation??? I will erase it,if I have to. Since,I don't use it for anything. However,I wonder if it will cause probs. since I'm using Win10.5 ...

Ideas????

As far as I know you can just download b2s from github, unzip to existing folder, reregister and run the screenresidentifier
Actually, been months since I updated so I took the opportunity update from 2.0.3 (from ~3months ago) to 2.1.0, and the 2 tables I've loaded worked. One has backglass with integrated highscores display segments and the other had a backglass and the DMD on top (i only have 2 screens).

I see no reason for the downgrade no to work but YMMV, as usual.
1 more thing,If I get this screenresidintifier thing working,will it stop VP from crashing on trying to use VP9.1-VP9.5 then??? I have no probs. w/ any other realease,for some reason...

Which,is why I'm so confused that uninstalls & re-installs have not worked...

Thanks for trying to help,btw. I feel stuck w/ this problem permanently w/o a reformat now,tho... :(

I mean,something must be irremovable that is not letting VP9 versions work. Also,I dwnlded these from VPForums. So,the files are clean,I'm sure...

I'm far from being an expert on VP(X). I also struggle to get information. I believe the reason is because there is no way to actually uninstall everything. The fact you need to start with the all-in-one package says it all really :)

But because windows and the registry system SUCKS big time, short of reinstall a clean windows I really don't know. It if was working, reinstalling everything as before SHOULD work, in theory.

Because of that I use only VPX and even just this was a pain when we had to move to 64bit so... I'm sorry, I can't give any guarantee that what I said WILL work for you.

Does anyone know a way to un-do the B2S server stuff?! Everything was fine,until I followed the instructions to setup the B2S Backdrop for a table file. Which,it isn't useful for me anyway,it turns out. As,my monitor isn't a WS. It's actually a REALLY old CRT & I was just curious if I could play w/ the file,because I thought I could re-size & move the BackGlass around. Stuff like that...

Anyway,somehow my VPinball992.exe is now not allowing me to even bring the editor up! Is there a way to fix this? Or,can I just download the exact VP992 file somewhere & delete this defective file then install the New copy???

I'm at a loss. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also,VP99PhysMod5 no longer works,as well. But,I dodn't use that 1 much,anyway...
You can find all of the VP9 stand alone versions here... (From VP9.20 to VP9.9.5b)

Hope this helps you.

I'm far from being an expert on VP(X). I also struggle to get information. I believe the reason is because there is no way to actually uninstall everything. The fact you need to start with the all-in-one package says it all really :)

But because windows and the registry system SUCKS big time, short of reinstall a clean windows I really don't know. It if was working, reinstalling everything as before SHOULD work, in theory.

Because of that I use only VPX and even just this was a pain when we had to move to 64bit so... I'm sorry, I can't give any guarantee that what I said WILL work for you.
Well,I actually found that somehow during 1 of the various re-installs,I got "VP9.2.1" & the "VP9.9 PhysMod-updated" versions to be working,again. So,I'm not sure I want to risk these 2 by trying to reregister B2S,in ANY way. I mean,"ScreenResIdentifier" sounds like something that /might/ work. But,if I have to reregister B2S,I fear it will cause the 2 now-working VP9 vers. to once-again stop doing so...

Maybe someday,or with enough research that calms my fears over losing what I just got back,I will try it. So,thanks for that suggestion,at least it's worth contemplating doing that... :)

I mean,it /may/ work,so I'll keep it in mind. If,I find there are tables that won't work in VP9.2.1. However,it seems /most/ VP9 tables will still work w/ this version. So,maybe I'm not as screwed as before,now that I have that back,at least(the PhysMod version seems next-to-useless to play w/,tho). Anyway,I really don't want to jeopardize at least having some working form of VP9,back. Is what I mean... ;)

I REALLY do thank you for mentioning that exists tho. As,I've never seen ANY mention of such a thing & I'm wondering if it's because I moved a "ScreenRes" file into some different areas of the main "TABLES" folder,before realizing it has to go w/ that specific table,in their own separate folder. Maybe,/that/ is what's causing these probs. . As,I had 2 ScreenRes files in the main B2S folder,that I made,before realizing I can't put it there(w/ the B2S stuff,that is). So,when U say "ScreenResIdentifier",I wonder if it's because of all those things. Or,that the table itself,caused this. Because,I'm using an old CRT & therefore,not a WideScreen monitor/TV. Which,the 2 tables I used before all this happened,were meant for a Widescreen setup,at least. If not,a dual-screen setup...

Anyway,things to consider,with further reflection on the various possibilities. Based,upon the things I did & in which order,means I'm still considering this "ScreenResIdentifier" thing worth trying. So,again,thanks for that idea. But,I may hesitate for quite awhile,before risking it,like I said. And,it really may be possible to play the VP9 tables with just VP9.2.1. Which,if so,I will probably just keep in mind your suggestion. But,I DO wonder,why after registering using that registration app. I didn't see any "ScreenResIdentifier" thing happen. Does this mean the 1 included w/ the table(which I used)may be defective or that it was maybe an early-release,that was before the ScreenResIdentifier?? I mean,it sounds like that should've came up & been on-screen long enough for me to at least /see/ it. That is,something quickly popped-up if I recall correctly. But,was gone before I could tell what happened. Does this sound like it,to you???

I mean,maybe it's kind-of /stuck/ thinking it needs to check my resolution all of the time,when I open various VP9 tables,because I had multiple ScreenRes files in the B2S folder??? Tho,I deleted it & I even haven't done anything to the B2S stuff,after re-installing this last time. Which,means if nothing else,now that I'm leaving everything alone,it should all function correctly,right?? Although,I haven't reregistered w/ the PROPER/Included B2S app. . So,maybe,it's stuck w/ the thought I'm using an older B2S RegistrationApp?? Since,I haven't used the 1,that comes w/ an installer package??

I don't know,just thinking about what you've said...

Maybe,if I DO reregister. But,I'm worried it will cause the 1 working VP9 I have,to mess-up,somehow(it did before,afterall)...

Anyway,just thinking. Let me know your thoughts on this new/more complete info I provided. Keeping in mind,that maybe the table's files are at fault,maybe U can safely look into whether or not they are defective,or something?? I'll attach the only 2 tables that could be at fault. If U can,take a look and see what U think. I mean,it only stops VP9 versions from working. I'm /pretty sure/ it will be safe for you to try these files. They came from VPForums,after all...

Anyway,just look into them as much as you can. Since,they're meant for VP9,U might not be able to play the tables. But,I don't know how backwards-compatible VPX is. Since,I don't use it(I prefer VP9,since my PC is from 2013 & using integrated-graphics). Maybe,U can do everything short of playing the tables,& see for me,or something??? Just in case,I'll attach them...

Thanks for trying & suggesting stuff,again. I appreciate any ideas & wouldn't be here typing all of this,if I didn't appreciate any concern shown... ;)

-Take Care & let me know if U have any other thoughts,based-upon this reply... :)

Attachments

• Frankenstein, Mary Shelleys (Sega 1995) dB2S DT ColorDMD VP912_WS MOD v1.0.3b.zip
    51.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Diner_WS_B2S edited.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 0
You can find all of the VP9 stand alone versions here... (From VP9.20 to VP9.9.5b)

Hope this helps you.
Most of what I said in the other post would be said here,but I don't want to just copy myself. So,the only thing that's really different to say,is that yes I tried EVERY version of VP9. If U read the other reply I gave here,to the only other person to respond,besides you. It would fill U in on anything not possibly covered in the reply I left to you,just before this 1.However,I really don't think there's anything different I said here that wasn't said w/ more detail,at the other post/thread...

I mean,I've tried everything short of reregistering the B2S app. But,I'm not sure it's safe to do that. As,I may cause my /now-working/ & very important VP9.2.1 to start being inaccessible,again. As such,I'm not willing to risk it. If,I could be certain I wouldn't lose this recovered form of VP9,I would try the reregister-thing. But,I'm still unsure about how it might cause the only-working VP9 I have,to act as before. Well,technically,I have VP9.9 PhysMod-updated working as well. However,it seems to cause frame-skipping for me. So,it's of no use until I find a table that it doesn't do this,on...

Anyway,there really isn't much to say here,that I didn't tell U at the other thread(there's not much difference between these,I'm beginning to realize). So,maybe the other should be the focus,from here on. But,don't close this 1 just yet. Since,I want to hear what "Anontet" has to say,after I posed some questions to him & I asked if he could take a look at the files I think had something to do w/ my problem...

But yes,I REALLY hoped another version besides 9.2.1 would've worked & find it strange only 2 VP9 versions are working. It's especially odd,it would be 9.2.1 & not either an older OR more recent 1. I mean,9.2 is the most commonly required version of VP9,it seems. Which,I wonder if that has anything to do it being the version that works? I mean,yes VP9.9 PhysMod-Updated is another VP9. But,it seems like only certain tables would work w/ it correctly. Since,it must cause frame-skipping unless a table is specifically designed for it...

BTW-do you happen to know of any tables that use the PhysMod?? I can't seem to find any that were meant for it. But,I know Scapino &/or JP Salas were among the creators that 1st started the trend of having special plungers,in the beginning days of VP9. Which,I know from trying to use their tables in VP8 & I would receive a script error saying something about a special plunger. That & I read in the table descriptions about the special form of "Inertia-based" plungers they were making for their tables. Maybe,some VP8 tables,even had them(I forget). But,my point of bringing this up,is that I get the feeling the PhysMod is meant for tables w/ special plungers. Yet,I just now realized that their (Scapino's & JP's) tables are those this form of VP was meant for...

Just a thought that came up,as I was typing this... ;)

Anyway,thanks for the suggestion(s). But,unless someone can check into/test those specific files & find something wrong w/ them(I doubt it,since they were at VPForums). Or,can test them while using a CRT,like I have,I doubt it will be possible to tell what caused this problem. Unless,it really IS because the B2S stuff reacts horribly if U don't have Widescreen,at least. I mean,something like this,seems at fault...

But,unless someone has the exact same situation as I have happen to them,I doubt it will be possible to tell what's TRULY at fault. So,until then,I guess.... ;)

Thanks again & let me know of any other things to try,based-upon my responses...

-Take Care :)

OK so im by far no expert, there are people here that know way more about this stuff than i do, but in reading your post it kind of reminded me of how frustrating the file setup learning curve was when i first started this hobby.... So just a few thoughts as I can remember from more than a few beers ago...
Long read (my apollogies), and im certain youve got most of this figured out, but ifn it helps.......

1 Frustrated with trying to figure the setup etc for visual pinball, I started with Future pinball to get rolling (and hooked) then went to give VPX a propper go.
2 I used the all in one to install Vp and vpx as it sets up all the versions inbetween - this gets you the playfield....
3 Then come the extras - The b2S is for the backglass, and yes there is a registry thing I Ran as administer that came with the files
Seems like there was a tutorial for setup on the website i downloaded from.
4 You mentioned VP9, I Kinda prefer the VPx versions of things myself, but in vp9 i had to go into the scripts on quite a few tables and change the "Const Controller" line to use the b2s (I dont remember the exact script code, seems there was 2 or 3 ways people commonly used in the code to get it going
5 My cabinet has the PF rotated the 90 deg from windows (Portrate vs Landscape) so VP isnt rotating however the monitor 2 is still flush at top and on the right. If it helps to visualize, on boot when running windows, my "start" menu button (yes Im on windows 7) is at my left flipper on the cab. So make certain monitor placement for #2 is proper
6 The screenRes.txt file has numbers for resolution and placement, you can google and find out what each line represents, then verify your file info is proper as your hardware is configured and set up
7 So the all in one installer sets up the mame emulater for the rom, dont forget you have to dnload the proper rom version for the table as well.

So youve downloaded (A Table) + (ab2s Backglass) + (ROM of proper name and ver.)
Within your VP install directory you should find a folder "Tables"
I Personaly use sub folders for Systems and tables Ex..
Tables - VP9 - Big Star (Williams 1972)
Apollo (Williams 1967)
VPX- Space Shuttle (Williams 1984)
Within the table Folder you will put 3 files, (the VP table file) + (the b2s file) + (a copy of your screenres.txt)
Now the important part is that the file name convention is maintained it makes everything easyer as you go.
Table Name (Vender Year)
Lots of people will put a revision at the end, and after the end wont matter, But it is VITAL! that the table file and b2s are the same name
Big Buck Hunter Pro (Stern 2010) v1.09 . VPX
Big Buck Hunter Pro (Stern 2010) . directb2s
ScreenRes.txt This Combo will Work must have these 3 files for every table

Big Buck Hunter Pro (Stern 2010) v1.09 . VPX
Big Buck Hunter (Stern 2010) . directb2s
ScreenRes.txt This Combo wont Work as the name dosnt match

Oh and the Rom zip file goes in the vpinmame roms folder in the vp instalation
Think I remember some youtube vids on table setup as well

A few months back the default is that the .direct2bs must match the .vpx otherwise you won't see the backglass. Not sure if you can still use the old method of "starts with" but that was a problem on some tables that started with the same name and then B2S would pickup the wrong backglass.
Just rename one of the files. No need to dig deeper than this.

Not sure if U guys are actually talking to me,about this. As,I DO NOT use VPX,AT ALL & only have 1 monitor. So,have NO interest in getting BackGlasses,B2S,direct2BS,etc... to work I just think,because I'm on an old CRT,this B2S-stuff/B2S-application got confused & thought I at least had a WideScreen to use the WS-tables on. But,I was just curious to see what the table would look like,on my screen & of course,didn't expect anything like THIS to happen from just playing the .vpt file(s)...

But,it also should be noted,that before the WS-designated table,I tried 1,that had "dB2S ... DT ...WS"-stuff in the name(the attached files above show what kind of tables,these are)...

So,maybe when these kind of tables are "played" on a CRT,like mine,they cause probs. Because,they're programmed for a WideScreen TV/monitor & not detecting one,causes them to trigger a fault in the VP/Vpinmame somewhere?? I mean,maybe it's because of the B2S application being registered w/ an older version file?? I used the 1 included w/ the "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" .zip. So,something to do w/ that,possibly...

Anyway,only someone else who experiences this,can probably say what is causing it,I imagine...

Thanks for trying,still. But,keep what I've said just now,in mind,going forward... :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: paskite has left the room.
      Back