Data East Hook (Data East, 1992) pinball wont turn on

glyndawn

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
addams
hi folks i have a hook pinball ive had it years now and worked fine till now the issue i have is when i flick the machine on it powers up all lights on it shouts out hook hook hook and then nothing all light are still on but wont go into game mode ?

ive changed the battiers to see if this works but nothing

please help

It could be a number of issues. Have you checked all of the fuses to make sure that they are good?

Open the backbox. On the MPU board there should be an LED that flashes when you power it on. How many flashes are you getting?? The below information may help. It may be as simple as reseating the chip.

How to Count Flashes.
When the CPU board is initially powered on with the diagnostic test EPROM, the PIA LED will immediately turn on. This is considered the first "flash" (many people think the first darkening of the LED is the first flash, but this would mean there was only a total of seven flashes, not eight). Just keep this in mind when referring to the flash codes listed below.
The completion of a flash means the associated chip has passed the diagnostic test. For example, if the LED turns on and stays on (never turns off), this is considered the first flash (and hence, the EPROM at 5C is faulty). If the LED turns off four times then stays lit (the fifth flash), chip 11D would be bad.

Flash Position Item Tested
----- -------- -----------
1 5C/5B EPROM checksum error
2 5D RAM read/write error
3 5F PIA1 solenoid read/write $2100
4 8H PIA5 switch read/write $3002
5 11D PIA2 lamp read/write $2402
6 11B PIA3 display2 read/write $2802
7 9B PIA4 display1 read/write $2C02
8 7B PIA6 sound read/write $3402

</PRE>

</PRE>

Last edited:
@ spalmer....Are those prices for the chips? I was looking at a Data East '91 TMNT table...but if that is the cost for replacement parts....I don't think I'm all that interested anymore.

@ spalmer....Are those prices for the chips? I was looking at a Data East '91 TMNT table...but if that is the cost for replacement parts....I don't think I'm all that interested anymore.

Those are not prices. Those are checksum values that the test looks for on the chips to see if they are good. These chips are very inexpensive. Sorry for the heart attack! :oops:

@ spalmer.....that's cool...I was a little floored, until I got to thinking if I could get a good price...it was worth more as parts.

I would hate to have to bust apart a perfectly good pinball....but for a 1000% plus return...

I would surely have to come back here and apologize.....as an atonement?

Brother

Hi

I have similar problem with the Hook machine.
PIA led turn on when I power on the machine and turn off (only once).
It is very strange because everything was fine and it happened when I was playing. A display switch off and after powered off the machine it does not boots.

Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back