How to keep lights from "bleeding through" on playfield?

madmrmax

Weeeeeee
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones (Williams)
Lights in FP continue to be a struggle for me. One thing I'm dealing with is that a bulb will light up the playfield surface even through a solid object

1729106001309.png
1729106011061.png

What I've tried is to reduce the bulb Glow Radius down to the smallest value and then only use shadow map to render the effect. Is that the best option?

The lights are ordered correctly (send to back) and the "Ordered Halo Glow" set, so it's not that.

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish. You have probably found a good method. You can set objects to "Send to Front" and they don't pass as much light through them as "Send to Back" but they do still pass some light. I tend to raise walls of orbits up a couple of mm so shadow maps pass under them. Then drop the top of the wall the same distance so it looks intentional. I have never used the new style of models that TerryRed uses but I vaguely remember that he said they don't pass light (I might be wrong).

The Glow Radius adjustment in the FP editor only goes down to 20 but you can go down to 0 using BAM script although I probably wouldn't go that low. Then you can set brightness using BAM script higher than the default of 1. If I remember correctly, the glow is what passes through objects and brightness less so. You can look the small red lights on each of the flying saucers on "Attack From Mars" that I just posted. I actually set glow radius to 0 and brightness was set pretty high. I seem to remember having problems with light passing through the saucers.

I tend to use Slamt1lt's method for bulbs under the plastics. On "Attack From Mars", each bulb under the plastics is actually a set of 2 bulbs. One is rendered, "Sent to Back", locked and set on the playfield. The other bulb is what I call a "Glow Bulb" and is unrendered, "Sent to Front", unlocked and set higher (about 20 mm). I overlap the 2 bulbs a little bit in the editor so I can verify the unlocked bulb appears on top the locked bulb to make sure the Send to Front/Back is set right. I set shadow maps to the rendered bulbs. This method might work with your low glow on the rendered bulbs and high glow on the unrendered bulbs. It also makes it so the glow doesn't move when you move the camera.

It looks like you may end up adding BAM script to every bulb, light insert and flasher on the table like I do (well there are a few I leave unscripted but not many).

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    SmashXD has left the room.
    mrdarc has left the room.
    butterface5000 has left the room.
    Pinheads has left the room.
    helptv has left the room.
    joeboxer has left the room.
    Auleric has left the room.
    vizzone has left the room.
    Develop has left the room.
    Krusty104 has left the room.
    grh450 has left the room.
    redharry has left the room.
    kono87 has left the room.
    Blonderkarli has left the room.
    Seven Tigerz has left the room.
    onedevotee75 has left the room.
    rgmohr has left the room.
    teelegend has left the room.
    artmetz has left the room.
    chaoswar has left the room.
    jerseydude has left the room.
    Necat has left the room.
    SpaceFace70 has left the room.
    hannon904 has left the room.
    bigkev5 has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: bigkev5 has left the room.
      Back