Stargate
Code:
'=============================== PHYSICS XML ===========================

'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
'<document>
'  <physics slope="5.3" fps="512" threaded="0"></physics>
'  <ball newtonDamping="0" mass="8000" gravity="9810" damping="0.5"></ball>
'  <flipper rotationSpeedChart="{0.0,0.0}[0.0,0.0]" 
'        newtonDamping="0" releaseOmega="18" mass="1" omega="1" moeMethod="1" leftXoff="0" leftYoff="0" leftZoff="0" rightXoff="0" rightYoff="0" rightZoff="0"></flipper>
'  <bumper impulse="60.0" impulseRandomness="0" vectorRandomness="2"></bumper>
'  <autoplunger mass="1000000.0" force="90000.0"></autoplunger>
'  <diverter mass="1000000.0" omega="37.0"></diverter>
'  <gate mass="0.5" gravity="3000.0" damping="1.0"></gate>
'  <kicker impulse="1000.0" vukImpulse="2400.0" impulseRandomness="0" vectorRandomness="0"></kicker>
'  <plunger mass="1000000.0" force="30000.0"></plunger>
'  <slingshot impulse="0" impulseRandomness="0" vectorRandomness="0"></slingshot>
'  <spindisk mass="99999999.0" angularDamp="0.1" linearDamp="0"></spindisk>
'  <spinner mass="99999.0" gravity="9810.0" angularDamp="0.5" angularAccel="5.25" 
'           spinDampLoose="0.30" spinBackLoose="0.65"
'           spinDampNorm="0.40" spinBackNorm="0.65"
'           spinDampTight="0.70" spinBackTight="0.65"></spinner>
'  <emkicker mass="1000000.0" omega="80.0"></emkicker>
'  <varitarget mass="500.0" damping="0.9" tension="3.0" return="15.0"></varitarget>
'  <magnet impulse="10.0" impulseRandomness="2"></magnet>
'  <nudge impulse="0.0" impulseRandomness="0.0" warningLevel="250" leftAngle="60" upAngle="0" rightAngle="320" vectorRandomness="5" visualDistance="5" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="15000.0"></nudge>
'  <defaultMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.01" staticFriction="0.2" kineticFriction="0.2"></defaultMat>
'  <playfieldMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.5" staticFriction="0.025" kineticFriction="0.025"></playfieldMat>
'  <metalMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.4" staticFriction="0.3" kineticFriction="0.1"></metalMat>
'  <woodMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.3" staticFriction="0.2" kineticFriction="0.03"></woodMat>
'  <plasticMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.2" staticFriction="0.2" kineticFriction="0.03"></plasticMat>
'  <rubberHardMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></rubberHardMat>
'  <rubberIntMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.5" staticFriction="0.75" kineticFriction="0.6"></rubberIntMat>
'  <rubberSoftMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.6" staticFriction="0.75" kineticFriction="0.6"></rubberSoftMat>
'  <gateMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.65" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.03"></gateMat>
'  <kickerMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0" staticFriction="1" kineticFriction="1"></kickerMat>
'  <rampMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.2" kineticFriction="0.03"></rampMat>
'  <plungerMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.4" staticFriction="1" kineticFriction="1"></plungerMat>
'  <spindiskMat softnessCoef="1" elasticCoef="0.7" staticFriction="0.025" kineticFriction="0.25"></spindiskMat>
'</document>

'</document>

- most PHYSICS XML settings are pre-adjusted for FizX, and are NOT intended to be changed!
- changes to PHYSICS XML can greatly affect FizX and table functions (only make changes if really needed)
- "physics slope" setting in the PHYSICS XML section has no effect!
- table slope MUST be set in FizX_General_Settings

The following are some of the settings that are allowed to be changed in PHYSICS XML:

- bumper impulse
- autoplunger mass / force
- kicker impulse
- vukImpulse
- plunger mass / force
- spindisk settings
- spinner settings
- emkicker settings
- varitarget settings
- nudge impulse

- Diverter mass / omega is used for slingshot

Last edited:
It looks like you are not using the flipper rotation speed chart. Is there a reason?

Also is this still true?
"I suggest now to not set Playfield Elasticity more than 0.1, and both friction less than 0.03. Setting this avoid lot of overspin "naturaly"... Setting Playfield Elasticity to 0.01 will make friction working more better about avoiding overspin effect. "

It looks like you are not using the flipper rotation speed chart. Is there a reason?
I use it only for flipper release. No more for Flipper Ramp Up.

Also is this still true?
"I suggest now to not set Playfield Elasticity more than 0.1, and both friction less than 0.03. Setting this avoid lot of overspin "naturaly"... Setting Playfield Elasticity to 0.01 will make friction working more better about avoiding overspin effect. "
Yes it's still true. But i find 2 settings wich work well to avoid overspin. I will explain it when time come

Is this XML for the 1K or 8K ball?

Is this XML for the 1K or 8K ball?
I just update the XML on this topic from what we use in JYC.. It's the best XML setup we find for FizX2.0 and 1k ball ( assuming you like physics on the last update of JunkyardCats )

TLDR: Imbedded are questions about three topics:
1) Adjusting slingshots
2) The right way to change table slope
3) Passive scoring bumpers

I'm nearly finished updating a Future Pinball version of a woodrail table to FizX 3.0. I'm ready to go through the steps to get SSF to work. Thanks to all the giants and people standing on the shoulders of giants who made this possible.

The table is playing very well on my desktop. I have not yet opened it in its current state on the pincab but will do so later today.

1) My first question regards slingshots and diverters. With the default settings in the code I copied and pasted from the AIO Example Table the slingshots were nearly dead. I tried increasing the diverter omega in stages from 37 to 99 but nothing seemed to have an noticeable effect. I did not the change diverter mass value. I should mention I'm using a pair of slingshotL80 diverter models per slingshot because this table has very long slings.

Returning diverter omega to 37 and increasing slingshot impulse from 0 to 450 has made them perform in what appears to be a very realistic way.

Should I not use this seemingly highly effective method to tune slingshot response? Perhaps there are collateral effects I'm not aware of.

Is there a preferred method for tuning the slingshots?

2) I see my second question is already answered earlier in the thread, regarding changing table slope. As a woodrail I may want the option to slow the table down a little to get more side to side action for prototypical play. Am I safe to change Table_Slope = 5.3 to a lower value in the FizX General Settings or is that likely to have undesireable effects on other aspects of the table? What are safe ranges?

3) Any suggestions about the best way to use FizX options to model the passive scoring bumpers found on many of these older tables? What I have works but there may be a better way to go.

Take care,
Brent

I'll try to answer you tomorow

You can set the table slope to about 4.5 without undesirable effects.
Concerning slingshot, as I'm in Croatia, so far from my PC, I can't have a suggestion. But I used the L80 slingshot (that I sent you) and I had to "customize" the parameters. If you are happy with your parameters, you'll not have collatéral effects (just my opinion).

Hi @bcarter1234,

1) My first question regards slingshots and diverters. With the default settings in the code I copied and pasted from the AIO Example Table the slingshots were nearly dead. I tried increasing the diverter omega in stages from 37 to 99 but nothing seemed to have an noticeable effect. I did not the change diverter mass value. I should mention I'm using a pair of slingshotL80 diverter models per slingshot because this table has very long slings.

Returning diverter omega to 37 and increasing slingshot impulse from 0 to 450 has made them perform in what appears to be a very realistic way.

Should I not use this seemingly highly effective method to tune slingshot response? Perhaps there are collateral effects I'm not aware of.

Difficult to say without seeing your diverter setting in XML and in editor... But usually, more the slingshot diverter is long, more you need to increase his mass/omega, less swing angle his needed etc etc..

2) I see my second question is already answered earlier in the thread, regarding changing table slope. As a woodrail I may want the option to slow the table down a little to get more side to side action for prototypical play. Am I safe to change Table_Slope = 5.3 to a lower value in the FizX General Settings or is that likely to have undesireable effects on other aspects of the table? What are safe ranges?
You can lower the pf as low as you want and as it's good for your.. There's no undesirable effects.

3) Any suggestions about the best way to use FizX options to model the passive scoring bumpers found on many of these older tables? What I have works but there may be a better way to go.
If you want to get scoring for passive bumper, the best way is to make a new "active" bumper model with passive appearence, made with the same technic as FizX bumper and then in the bumper hit sub, force staying "off".

I can make this for you.

For better check, can you send me your table in PM?

There is code you add just after "Sub" at the beginning of the sligshot script that disables the rubber sling. Then there is code you add just before "End Sub" that activates the diverters. Are you sure you added the code that activates the diverters and the names match between the objects on the table and the script? If you didn't, it would make the sling completely dead.

@GeorgeH , slingshot rubber don't need to be disable in sub. You just need set slingshot strength at 0 in xml to make it having no effect, but keeping animation

The symptoms that Carter is experiencing could be explained by the diverters not being installed correctly. Correct operation of the inverters can be verified by removing the invisible texture on each diverter and watching them operate when a game starts.

Another possibility that I just thought of is the diverter object needs to be placed slightly behind the rubber. If you don't do that, the diverters won't operate because the rubber hit event is what makes the diverter operate.

Last edited:
Maybe he in using too high of a threshold (code at the beginning of the slingshot sub you mention)

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back