WIP Original Table Tutorial Killer Klowns from Outer Space Pinball

spookyMoulder

Pinball Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
gi joe
So I was searching for a good game development program for some time now testing the graphics each program makes also testing physics and compatibility. Finding the right engine was a like Goldilocks and the three bears. Some game engines would do many things but too complicated to use and others were easy to use but not enough features to even make a playable game. Let's go over some of the failed game engines

1. Unreal Engine. Not open source difficult to use and bloated large file. 2. Unity Engine is medium difficulty with crashes and physics glitches and also bloated large file.
3. GDevelop is not 3d and the visual scripts don't work correctly I spent lots of time trying to find out why but its their engine that is broken.
4. Cryengine is not easy to use and bloated. 5. Stride Game engine also difficult to use and many similar engines need login each time you want to use.

I even tried OpenSpace3d and saw someone else making a pinball game using OpenSpace3d https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=43676
I tried CopperCube its physics is not that good https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/threads/they-live-new-pinball-engine.22174/

I could go on but its easy to say that these game engines suck. So what game engine is good ? UPBGE Armory might be the best game engine ever !! small file size and easy to use and lots of features and good physics. I will post a demo here when I figure out more I did make a playfield for a new game if anyone wants the playfield to recreate or mess with it is also posted here.

Killer Klowns preview1.jpg

Creating physics for your ball in UPBGE is easy and has lots of settings to mess with I messed up the first time just remember to set your 3d object to origin setting your object to origin is middle point. :bigfrown: If you don't set your ball object to origin it might not work at all or just wobble about.
This video should help with physics for your ball.

OpenSpace 3d is a good program but it is a little more difficult the advantage it has is that it can export to many platforms but the Blender engine is just pc for now. If you look at the OpenSpace project that fripounet started I think the graphics are a little flat and dull and the edges are not smooth this is one bad part about OpenSpace and the program is stubborn at times with importing prefabs. Each game engine has its own flaws and each person has a different preference so just try to find something that works for you.

fripounet openspace.jpg

Blender engine is much more user friendly here in the next picture is a tutorial on how to get better graphics from Blender first I would use lighting and play with the lighting on objects then follow the video tutorial and it shows how to get your texture materials to look better here is the ball I was making for game.

ball metalic.jpg

This stuff is generally way over my head, but I do have a couple Q's:

- Are you modelling pinballs in particular because that's what you ideally want to build with your 'dream engine?' Or is it more that you're showing off pinballs because it's something that people here & (at other?) pinball sites can appreciate?

- Is part of this process motivated by disappointment with VPX & FP-BAM, or is it more that you enjoy using your talents to 'pioneer' in this way?

- It seems to me that @shiva has at times been intensely curious about building pinballs on other platforms, such as Unity. Have you discussed any of this with him?

I have always thought a game engine would be separate from software that makes models. Interesting to see them combined.

I have tried using Blender but didn't like it very much. It could be that we have to use the 2.79b version on Future Pinball tables because we have to use a special plugin. The later versions are probably better. It would be nice if someone could change the FP plugin to work on a later version.

@Isaac Sauvage Good question I model pinball because I like pinball games I like to play them when I was a kid I would go into arcades and play pinball games. I like VPX & FP-BAM but I want to make something different and maybe learn new programs. VPX & FP-BAM is good there is nothing wrong with the programs but trying new things there was another person named freezy who made vpe pinball I think we all try to improve pinball in some ways and share our ideas.

I chat with Shiva sometimes yes I think he tries different programs too he made some videos on Pinbuilder and Roxy Raccoon Pinball I might wait before I try those programs because people are still developing them, we all like all types of pinball.

I have always thought a game engine would be separate from software that makes models. Interesting to see them combined.

I have tried using Blender but didn't like it very much. It could be that we have to use the 2.79b version on Future Pinball tables because we have to use a special plugin. The later versions are probably better. It would be nice if someone could change the FP plugin to work on a later version.

It's true that Blender is hard at first to learn I think I have about 3 or 4 years of using it and I am still learning new things on Blender it does get easier to use after a while. I have tried also Maya and 3d Studio Max and Sketchup and Zbrush I think Blender was easiest to use and learn.
The Blender game engine is fantastic the 3d objects are all character nodes just like in Godot so you keep importing different 3d models and move them to where you want them.

It also has Visual Scripts or triggers so if a trigger is hit then you can have a light turn on or sound turn on. It is easier than other game engines it can have python scripts too but I have hard time scripting sometimes. There are many tutorial videos and I really like learning new Blender things it can be intimidating at first but it gets easier.

upbge visual scripting.png

@GeorgeH are you asking me or TerryRed & HZR. I used it very fast way to material objects kind of neat to mess with. The objects and textures you can export them to any format you want. Oh I also found this place https://freepbr.com/ if you are looking for just textures.

@GeorgeH are you asking me or TerryRed & HZR. I used it very fast way to material objects kind of neat to mess with. The objects and textures you can export them to any format you want. Oh I also found this place https://freepbr.com/ if you are looking for just textures.

I never really learned to use Blender. I was wondering if Terry or HZR have used it.

The textures are cool looking. I assume you have to use them on Blender models.

I thought you were asking them. Adding textures is almost the same like Future Pinball or VP just Google how to add texture to model in Blender. It just takes some time getting used to I also like the graphics that Blender generates. Here is what I have so far it will take a few months to see it complete. There are a few UPBGE pinball games for free download here is also a video of someones pinball using UPBGE.

killer klowns pinball image 2.jpg

Last edited:
That is quite a table at the beginning of the video. I can't say I have seen anything like it. It looks cool.

Making flippers or objects move with keyboard or timers or triggers is this two videos it helped me.

Last edited:
It works omg I got the flipper to move when pressing a key it's a good feeling when something works.

working flippers.jpg

At first I was frustrated because I chose a Move activator and that is the wrong way of doing it. Go into your animation timeline and make 3 key frames 1. Flipper normal down is first frame. 2 Flipper up to end point 3 Then Flipper back down to original location.

After creating your keyframes you can go into logic controls I have added a picture so you can see its Keyboard then key button add whatever you want then make sure you join all 3 and (green guide buttons on picture ) pick Action and change your object then finally change the end frame.

In this video it explains the easy way to set up your animation keyframes. I hope these tutorials will help anyone starting to use the UPBGE to make your games.

I will release the Blender Pinball Kit eventually it will contain the Killer Klowns playable demo in a .blend file with working flippers and bumpers. It will also include a 3d model pack some of the 3d models I am working on need to have texture bakes to make the Blender Pinball Kit (BPK) as easy as possible. The reason all the models need to be remade is because game engines don't always import materials. Here are a few models and video to explain the process. If anyone wants to help with 3d models add a link to your models, everyone have a good day and keep playing pinball. :cool:

3d pinball models.jpg

texture baking.jpgblender pinball kit new ball.jpg

I have been working on 3d model testing and I was able to make a working plunger and now when the ball falls it resets to the start. The game is working nicely and the visual scripts work well. I also did some plastics and lane guides and found a video to help with blinking lights. I have rubber bands too just have not imported them yet. This is my first project using blender for making games and it's good I would recommend it for any type of game.

killer klowns pinball 3.jpg

guides.jpg

Last edited:
New pinball apron art

killer klown new pinball apron art.jpg

Just saw that Balutito did a Killer Klowns Pinball looks great to play I will keep making this one its good to have different versions.

Last edited:
Here it is Blender pinball in all it's finest, its not great but it's a good start. I am still working on the physics this demo I will add a download link in the video when I have time so you can download it for Upbge. Also still working on the BPK blender pinball kit that will include everything to get started making blender pinball games.

Here is a pinball game made in 3ds Max I have tried 3ds Max and is more complicated than Blender I think with Blender it is easier and better. Vpx and FP are good programs but are missing visual scripts, export standalone options and don't have as much flexibility as a 3d model program does. 3d programs are harder to learn but will make a big difference in the long term.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Has anyone tried the demo yet I posted the link I now have added a cabinet so it looks better in 3d. I am more than happy with the Blender Game Engine the other day I added a rollover wire and changed its physics to sensor and it works perfect. The blender development team really knows what they are doing so thanks to all their work.

View attachment Killer Klowns now in 3D.mp4

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: paskite has left the room.
      Back