My English Racer Bike

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Even as a young boy, I was overweight and clumsy. And that image didn’t change for the better when we moved from the Cincinnati neighborhood of Fairmount, to the suburb of Delhi Township 1n 1959. What clinched my reputation as a lovable oaf was an English Racer bike I acquired second-hand. English Racers are narrow, slender bikes not intended to be ridden by, shall we say, husky individuals. I fit the husky category to a T, and then some.

English Racers have a feature, that back in 1960, was uncommon on the average American bike, hand brakes. Unlike coater brakes, hand brakes, which are commonplace now, are controlled by levers mounted on the handlebars. When you squeezed the levers, brake pads rubbed against each tire, stopping you. The pads were cork, and wore out fairly fast, it seemed.

Since English Racers weren’t commonplace in the US, there were only a few shops that sold replacement brake pads. Of course, I was at the mercy of my father when it came time to purchase new brake pads. And since the nearest shop selling any English Racer parts was across town, I often rode my bike without brakes. That only added to the amusement of my friends and neighbors.

The subdivision street we lived on was a hill, and so when I’d need to stop, I’d aim for a telephone pole. With practice I was able to time my dismount and the impact into the telephone pole fairly well, and seldom had any problems. But the first several times I came away limping, which made the neighbors wonder about my lack of common sense. Suprisingly, that English Racer wasn’t nearly as fragile as it looked, and stood up to the punishment I inflicted upon it.

Since Delhi Township has many of the hills Cincinnati is known for, I at least had enough sense not to ride my English Racer out of the subdivision, which meant I walked most everywhere I wanted to go with my friends. I always hoped that all of that walking we did would help me lose some of my weight, but maybe I was destined to be larger than life. Things became a bit easier and more convenient once my buddies began to drive.

Looking back, I wonder how I rode that English Racer, with all its gears, and never was able to lose weight. Some of the gears made peddling so hard I’d dismount and walk the bike uphill to conserve my energy. But what I really wonder about is whatever became of the heavy duty Columbia bike I had before I owned that English Racer? That Columbia was much more suited to someone of my size and weight.

Me, I was the skinny runt with a severe speech impediment due to my cleft palate, and the target of virtually every self-appointed bully in the neighborhood.

So I had to find my own way and I naturally took to bicycles. I think at one time I invented The Schwinn Sting Ray, but my chinzy folks later gave me a used Royce Union knock-off for about a week in '64 until it was "conveniently stolen" by "the local bike thief". He had over 50 freshly repainted bikes dangling from the rafters of his parent's garage. But I couldn't do anything about it...

So then, two weeks later my old man got me a used standard 24 inch bike and in the meantime or shortly thereafter, I had found a junked Sting Ray, so I took the high-rise Sting Ray handlebars and the banana seat and sissy bar and put them on my standard bike, and then put the front 20 inch wheel on the front of the 24 inch Now Customized bike. While leaving the 24 inch rear wheel alone.

Later, this became the bike I used for My Paper Route, and at the age of 12 I was earning $60/Mo. And that bike took me everywhere in Burbank, several miles away to the Unimart store where I first saw the SGT. Pepper release, and usually to The Burbank Central Library where I often checked out non-fiction technical books and horror and sci-fi stories, and record albums.

At the age of 8 in '62 I had my first bike, a standard bike with a handle grip that had worn out on the right end. So one day when I hit a pothole, I was thrown forward as the handlebar turned to the right and that barren blunt end of the right-side handlebar nailed me exactly in the front center of my forehead. Right between the eyes and exactly in that precise spot that Spiritualists refer to as "The Third Eye", leaving A Brilliant Red Circle of a bruise which lasted for six months before it finally vanished from sight.

Now right there I reasoned that the handlebars should be high like a Y-Shape, and I wouldn't mind a seat in the shape of a saddle, kind of like a banana, and with a high bar on the back of the seat so I wouldn't fall off.

It could be a wicked design.

Last edited:
Well, this is one version of the story. The man credited with the development of the Stingray died in May, but he did not invent it. That happened a lot in California in the late 50's and on. Us kids would do something like take an old pair of broken roller skates and nail them to a board and coast or try to stand on it while coasting downhill on Andover Dr. in Burbank, Ca across from the park '59 and "Uncle Harry" shows up, takes a look, and later sells it as The Skateboard. We got the fun, but not the money.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=Andover+Dr.+Burbank,+Ca&btnG=

I got beaten up weekly for over ten years
from my neighborhood boys who hated me
'cause both my sisters got great marks and even though
I have a 146 IQ I failed at lots of things. It wasn't until I was
in fourth grade when the docs discovered I had MBD a form of add
anyhow the bike that helped me get away since I was always tall
for my age was the Sears Spyder Maroon metal flake.
It was a five speed and most of the brats who hunted me
either had three speeds or one! Fun childhood huh? anyhow,
I loved that thing putting a taller sissy bar in the back for extra leverage
I could pop 'wheelies' keeping the front tire off the ground for an entire block!
And who ever had a helmet back then? Hell we wore shorts and tee shirts
if you fell well you got messed up! Simple as that. We'd make sure you
were not seriously hurt then laugh our asses off at you!
Gee I miss that old thing...

Aw hell, those were 11 year old Hollywood brats bullying me. They didn't use bikes.
I used bikes.
<br />
<br />
They got rides.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back