Gottlieb EM New Guy - Link - Gottlieb Domino problem

Electro-Mechanical Machines

Pinball Link

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Gottlieb
Hi. My name really is "Link." I found your wonderful resource when I googled the name of one of my pins (Domino - a Gottlieb wedge head). I have 11 Gottlieb EM's.
Is this the right place to seek assistance? Domino's right roto-target switch does not score as suggested on the instruction card, nor is it wired as indicated in the schematic. I suspect that someone may have altered the wiring. If I should be discussing this elsewhere, please direct me.

First welcome. We do have some pretty good techs that pop in from time to time, so post your question in a new thread. pinballdaveh is a staff member here, he knows quite a bit about the tech side.

Thank you. I note that "Pinballdaveh" participated in the discussion of Gottlieb's Domino that led me to your organization.

The instruction card for Domino states that hitting a domino spin target when the corresponding domino is lighted on the playfield will score an advance and 500 points. This only works for the left target. The right target scores 100 points (the default score) and bumps the roto unit a step.

There is a parallel wiring, common to both targets, which has the effect of scoring the default - 100 points - when the domino target does not match the domino lighted on the playfield. This default scoring is working fine for both targets.

The schematic indicates that the left roto-target is wired through the roto unit (to determine which target was struck) and then to the domino step-up unit (to determine which domino is currently lighted). I verified the wiring by disassembling the roto unit (it needed cleaning and lubing anyway).

The right roto target is another story. The schematic shows that it's wiring skips the roto unit and proceeds directly to the domino step-up unit. When I followed that wire, it indeed skips the roto unit; however, that wire leads to the "add roto unit solenoid" which bumps the roto unit ahead. The effect is that the right roto target only scores 100 points and advances the roto unit, regardless of whether the target matches the domino lighted on the playfield.

I tried to find a cut wire in the harness, as I suspected that someone has tinkered with the wiring. This was unsuccessful. I also jumped the wire in question to the various leads on the domino advance unit, which had mixed results, none of which corrected the situation (e.g., scoring an advance and 500 points on all hits).

I appreciate any advice you may have.

I edited your post thread title so people can answer your tech question.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back