Stern Pinball (Stern, 1977) MPU keeps resetting

gchase59

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Stern Pinball
Stern pinball game just stopped working. I check the 43VDC test point TP5 and found no voltage. Fuse was blown and when I replace it it blew immediately. Rectifier board was pretty beat so I purchase a new one. Plugged it in a blew the fuse for 43VDC. Found the coil for the clacker was shorted so I unplugged it and the game started right up. Started play the game and after a couple games it reset in the middle of a game. I opened the back and could see the MPU board go through selftest and start back up. This continued to happen intermittently. I started monitoring voltages with a DMM and noticed I got an AC reading on the 43 VDC. I got an oscilloscope and looked and I see a lot of ripple on some of the DC voltages. Looks like what you would see after a bridge rectifier but before it had been regulated. Is that normal? Wondering if it is filtered and regulated by the solenoid board?

Thanks for the help
Gary

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back