ROMs (latest VPinMAME) requested by table not working

centaur

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Centaur
Hello
I have noticed a fault, maybe it's mine, but in any case I'm asking here before giving up on these fine tables.

The issue is: even if I copy the rom the table asks for (on the first run), it gives me a Script Runtime Error
Machine '...' terminated before initialized, check the rom path or rom file!

Concrete examples are Alien Star, Buck Rogers, Close Encounters with roms alienstr, buckrgrs, closeenc.
They have only one set of rom available too, so I can't try versions.

Now I have noticed this error in the past, but I just written those tables off as exceptions (as mostly recent tables I tried worked just fine)... but apparently this seems to be a much more widespread problem, so just to be sure I'll ask -- am I missing something or are these tables dead, rom or no rom?

VPX was installed with the all-in-one installer, and upgraded to the latest version.

If you have any other problems, just holler.
If I can help, I will.

Hello
I have noticed a fault, maybe it's mine, but in any case I'm asking here before giving up on these fine tables.

The issue is: even if I copy the rom the table asks for (on the first run), it gives me a Script Runtime Error

Concrete examples are Alien Star, Buck Rogers, Close Encounters with roms alienstr, buckrgrs, closeenc.
They have only one set of rom available too, so I can't try versions.

Now I have noticed this error in the past, but I just written those tables off as exceptions (as mostly recent tables I tried worked just fine)... but apparently this seems to be a much more widespread problem, so just to be sure I'll ask -- am I missing something or are these tables dead, rom or no rom?

VPX was installed with the all-in-one installer, and upgraded to the latest version.
I've run into this exact issue with the 10.7.3 64 bit install on my machine and have upgraded to 10.7.4 but the issue still persists.
What I've noticed is that can run the 10.7.4 32 bit version and these games play without any problems. It's like these tiny old ROMs are below the might of the 64 bit version so only the 32 version will work.

Working with Space Poker, I notice that the 32 bit version is looking for the file "space_poker_16_jp.bin" while the 64 bit version is looking for "spoker". When I check the actual rom, I see it has "space_poker_16_jp.bin" which is why it works in 32 bit.

I've upgraded to VPinMAME 3.6, hoping this would address the file differences (Space Poker is listed as one of the fixes).

no bueno

still digging on this one.

Last edited:
I've run into this exact issue with the 10.7.3 64 bit install on my machine and have upgraded to 10.7.4 but the issue still persists.
What I've noticed is that can run the 10.7.4 32 bit version and these games play without any problems. It's like these tiny old ROMs are below the might of the 64 bit version so only the 32 version will work.

Working with Space Poker, I notice that the 32 bit version is looking for the file "space_poker_16_jp.bin" while the 64 bit version is looking for "spoker". When I check the actual rom, I see it has "space_poker_16_jp.bin" which is why it works in 32 bit.

I've upgraded to VPinMAME 3.6, hoping this would address the file differences (Space Poker is listed as one of the fixes).

no bueno

still digging on this one.
Try downloading the updated roms package for VPinMAME 3.5 here...

A new Space Poker rom was added in this collection.

It's just odd to me that the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VPinMAME are looking for different contents within the ROM file.

I've checked out the download you provided and can see the spcpoker.zip has been updated with just the spoker.bin file. This means if someone tries using this version of the ROM with the 32 bit version of VPinMAME, it will fail because it's missing "space_poker_16_jp.bin". This version will work with the new 64 bit release.
Shouldn't the 32 and 64 bit releases be aligned with the same ROM file contents?

It's just odd to me that the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VPinMAME are looking for different contents within the ROM file.

I've checked out the download you provided and can see the spcpoker.zip has been updated with just the spoker.bin file. This means if someone tries using this version of the ROM with the 32 bit version of VPinMAME, it will fail because it's missing "space_poker_16_jp.bin". This version will work with the new 64 bit release.
Shouldn't the 32 and 64 bit releases be aligned with the same ROM file contents?
Not sure about this, but have you tried running Setup.exe (which is 32 bit version) in your VPinMAME folder and clicking Install?
See if that helps you.
If you are using both 32 and 64 bit versions, then both of these (Setup.exe and Setup64.exe) need to be ran and Install needs to be clicked.

so... when you test the ROM using Setup.exe, it shows that "space_poker_16_jp.bin" is the component it expects.
Testing with Setup64.exe shows 'spoker.bin" is the component it expects.
This is where I've been commenting on the fact that the 32 bit and 64 bit are both expecting different file names within the zip file. If you create a new zip container with two copies of the same file but with different names, then it will work with both 32 and 64 bit versions.
Currently, the version provided earlier in this thread will not work with the 32 bit version because it does not have "space_poker_16_jp.bin".
It's very easy to test this and confirm for yourself.

so... when you test the ROM using Setup.exe, it shows that "space_poker_16_jp.bin" is the component it expects.
Testing with Setup64.exe shows 'spoker.bin" is the component it expects.
This is where I've been commenting on the fact that the 32 bit and 64 bit are both expecting different file names within the zip file. If you create a new zip container with two copies of the same file but with different names, then it will work with both 32 and 64 bit versions.
Currently, the version provided earlier in this thread will not work with the 32 bit version because it does not have "space_poker_16_jp.bin".
It's very easy to test this and confirm for yourself.

The rom included in that package is for VPinMAME 3.5 Final, not 3.6 Beta.
You can check this VPinMAME 3.6 Beta 483 collection and find the 3.6 beta version of Space Poker rom, which does have "space_poker_16_jp.bin"

If you still have problems, maybe report them in the VPinMAME Beta topic here...

Just remember any versions after VPinMAME 3.5 are all Beta versions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      xenonph @ xenonph: @oilpainter27 find here...
      Back