Seizure-inducing shadow maps in Eight Ball Deluxe.

FireDragon76

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Spirit of 76
I am working on Eight Ball Deluxe, experimenting with shadow maps, and at some point in the table, the shadow maps start blinking. What's strange is that it seems the ambient light shadowmaps blinks also. Hard blinking, the entire texture of the table goes black.

The table needs more work. It's getting close to done, but my shadowmaps could use some pruning and tweaking. This is the first time I've thought of using them. Mostly, I think they are overused (along with overuse of texture baking, which is even worse). But the only time I've actually seen Eight Ball Deluxe was usually in some really dark setting, so I thought I'd experiment with more dramatic lighting.

The table also has a bug where the highscores will come up BEFORE the game starts, sometimes. I am not sure what's causing it. Perhaps the rolling ball sound code... I'm not sure. It was not in Martin Brunker's original code.

And yes, I meant the flippers to be yellow. All the pics of the table on the web show yellow flippers. It gives me an excuse to use soft and bouncy settings for a change.

Attachments

• Eight Ball Deluxe FZX Lite.fpt
    22.4 MB · Views: 1
I have never experienced shadow maps blink although I have found using in-game adjustments makes the whole table turn dark. I had success with just adding code from another table and adjusting the code in the script when making changes.

I don't know how to fix the high score problem. Maybe one of the other guys can.

How many tables are you working on?

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back