Vortex (Taito, 1981) VP9

VP9 Taito SS Recreation Vortex (Taito, 1981) VP9 v1.5

No permission to download
Solid State Machines
Thanks for giving VP9 some love ! Great stuff , pal

yeah, vp9 was good. there was nothing wrong with it that could not be fixed.
why didnt the dev team go into the C++ program and fix the bugs then keep improving on it instead of starting with a new VPX
program?
i usually play my vp9xx in 912.
what version DTexec was it updated to or does it matter?
maybe some of the more experienced wizards here could show a little love for VP9 and take a look at the program and try to
fix the bugs in the lower slings.
this was the only bug i could find with VP9.

Last edited:
Yep,while I understand VPX allows more advaced gfx and stuff , and able to do super accurate physics and so on , the toll average pinball lover has to pay is way too much

I'm not a programmer or anything but I always thought the devs could use some more time optimizing the code and make it more accessible to everyone

My current rig runs on a i3 laptop with 8gb ram , everything up to VP9.9 & PhysMod runs silky smooth with eveything maxed antialiasing and stuff , but even a simple VPX6 table stutters with the lowest settings (ironically VP9 maxed looks far better than VPX at low setting)

Wish someone with enough skill would give VP9 a touch and fix remaining bugs and give it a possible facelift but definitely not holding my breath for it

Maintaining legacy software is a pain. Every software house will eventually stop and start fresh at some point.
I call old stuff, "pet cancer" and it's nothing but trouble.

There's absolutely NO reason to maintain old software. Imagine if we were still using DOS or worse... Windows ME :D

Like one manufacturer once told me regarding a problem in one of their old requirements: "buy more memory or upgrade" (hint: memory would be more expensive).

Yep,while I understand VPX allows more advaced gfx and stuff , and able to do super accurate physics and so on , the toll average pinball lover has to pay is way too much

I'm not a programmer or anything but I always thought the devs could use some more time optimizing the code and make it more accessible to everyone

My current rig runs on a i3 laptop with 8gb ram , everything up to VP9.9 & PhysMod runs silky smooth with eveything maxed antialiasing and stuff , but even a simple VPX6 table stutters with the lowest settings (ironically VP9 maxed looks far better than VPX at low setting)

Wish someone with enough skill would give VP9 a touch and fix remaining bugs and give it a possible facelift but definitely not holding my breath for it
>>>>VPX6 table stutters with the lowest settings<<<<
i played on a 05 Compaq Presario with XP and an AMD 2.2 for awhile when i first started in 09.
i have upgrade since then.
when i get stutter it was usually because i was on for awhile.
maybe i made some changes in the program and created an error. i dunno
cleaning out caches and cleanup then closing everything back to desktop and restart the PC usually helped.

Last edited:
Maintaining legacy software is a pain. Every software house will eventually stop and start fresh at some point.

There's absolutely NO reason to maintain old software. Imagine if we were still using DOS or worse... Windows ME :D

Like one manufacturer once told me regarding a problem in one of their old requirements: "buy more memory or upgrade" (hint: memory would be more expensive).
ok, good point.
some programs get way outdated and time to put it down for the new "more improved".
but in this case C++ has been around for a long time.
i didn't see any reason to put VP9 down.
let's take Toyota for example.
they have some models on the market, in this case i will use (Corolla) for decades with good success.
instead of trashing it and starting over they kept improving it.
it went from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive etc and all the improvements for 50yrs....
Corolla is now one of the best most reliable model in the world because of improvements through the decades.
same with the C++VP9 program.
now we all had to start over and learn a new program.
the VPX program is still C++.
why not apply the new physics to the VP9.
now i have to spend a lot of time learning VPX when i knew and felt comfortable with VP9.
im pulling my hair out a little because i don't know the VPX editor.
when i repeatedly made changes to the flippers trying to get an idea how the VPX editor works i got an error.
the file got corrupted and had to kick it to recycle and get a new copy from the zip folder.
i still didn't hear what version of VP9 the Vortex was updated in.

Last edited:
Even C and its variants evolved and after a while newer versions are necessary as minimum to compile.
so not only the code of VP has to change, it has to change the way it is programmed (this is very basic explanation and probably not in the best way); point is, you can't compile older programs on newer C either.

Obviously, I have no clue how current vp9 is or on how hard it is to port back VPX physics. In any case, let me ask you: if you were a dev (and trust me they're ALWAYS overworked) would you want to keep adding more work on your hands work by maintaining something that has already a better version in all aspects?

BTW, the analogy is not good. Not even the car logo is the same :D You're comparing apples to oranges.

Now on a personal note:
now i have to spend a lot of time learning VPX when i knew and felt comfortable with VP9.

We all need to move on eventually. If you don't want to, then don't. Progress won't wait for you though.

Even C and its variants evolved and after a while newer versions are necessary as minimum to compile.
so not only the code of VP has to change, it has to change the way it is programmed (this is very basic explanation and probably not in the best way); point is, you can't compile older programs on newer C either.

Obviously, I have no clue how current vp9 is or on how hard it is to port back VPX physics. In any case, let me ask you: if you were a dev (and trust me they're ALWAYS overworked) would you want to keep adding more work on your hands work by maintaining something that has already a better version in all aspects?

BTW, the analogy is not good. Not even the car logo is the same :D You're comparing apples to oranges.

Now on a personal note:

We all need to move on eventually. If you don't want to, then don't. Progress won't wait for you though
>>>>would you want to keep adding more work on your hands work by maintaining something that has already a better version in all aspects?>>>>
VPX is a modified version of VP9 and still C++.
i think it comes down to this.
the DEV team keeps coming out with new programs and features without posting the info in tutorials on how to use the new
programs.
there was no user guide for VP9.
we all spent countless hours learning the program.
now i have to google or start all over again because there are no tutorials.
all i did was ask why didn't the DEV team post the user guides in tutorials.
the DEV team leaves behind a lot of loose ends with their "progress".
the original DEVs that wrote the original program are gone.
i know this is kind of a do-it-yourself kit.
with the state of things i dont have time to start over and spend countless hours.

Last edited:
VPW Example table ;)

Should get you started on VPX.

Should get you started on VPX.
i have VPX working for a long time.

Last edited:
aquin what version of VP9xx did you update the table.

well maybe, oth, for 8years from 09 to 2017 the forum ignored the bugs intill VPX debuted.
if the forum wants to go somewhere with this and maybe sell it they need to fix the bugs.
i have been following the threads.
from what i have read, VPX still has the some old bugs and some say VPX has improved physics.
that bug kind of kills the experience because i played real PB.
it's a real buzz kill with the lower slings bug kicking the ball into the side drain.
when the ball comes in contact with the lower sling above the EM kicker the ball should kick up not across into the other side drain.

i just wanted say thanks for the memories for the last 15yrs and having a nice easy conversation without getting the 3rd degree then kicked
out.
my intentions were for the good of the program.
it was a different time.

Last edited:
some say VPX has improved physics
So have you tried any tables with the Sling Corrections yet? :p

So have you tried any tables with the Sling Corrections yet? :p
i think you are referring to VPX.
no i have not tried any VPX lately.
the tables play slow out of the DL on my PC.
when i tried making changes nothing happened then all the attempted changes created an error.
did not not work anymore.
i had to kick it to recycle and get a new copy from the zip.
ex: as an experiment i tried 3500 to 4000....nothing happened. no change
i guess i need to ask for instructions on how to lower and raise the flippers performance.
thanks

Last edited:
All of the Taito tables he uploaded were made in VP995.

All of the Taito tables he uploaded were made in VP995.
what about 920 and 921.
they come with the allinone VPX installer
they work in vp9xx
those with 995 are the latest vp9, no?

what about 920 and 921.
they work in vp9xx
those with 995 are the latest vp9, no?
You could try them with the older exes, and some may work.
If a table says VP9. it is best to try them out with VP995 first.
Then if table does not work as intended, try the older VP9 exes.
VP995 is the latest.

edit...not important

Last edited:

Latest posts

Replies
Views
Poor Man's Pinball Podcast
P
Replies
Views
For Amusement Only EM and Bingo Pinball Podcast
F
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back