VP9 compatibility?

shogun01

Pinball Nudger
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Rollergames
JP's latest tables are really tempting me into upgrading to VP9, but I'm hearing quite a few incompatibility issues on VP8 (and earlier) tables.

I'm just curious are all VP8 tables incompatible with VP9? Or is it just a select few that require certain features (ex. reels)?

The reason why I'm asking this is because a few of my favorite tables don't have VP9 versions yet.

VP8 tables are not really compatible with VP9, they need to have a few changes made to them, this really needs to be done by a table author.

VP9 has better flipper physics.

You can run both VP9 and VP8 on your computer, I think most people have both now.

ATI Radeon cards have some problems, my ATI card works with the Graphic Hardware Rendering box checked in the table editor. Destruk has a program that forces this box to be checked at all times, I used it and everything seems to work fine.

Phoenixx is working on a new installer that will install both VP9 and VP8 to your system and will make it very simple for you to install both versions and it will even know whether the table should be played in VP8 or VP9. If I were you and not very sure about installing both versions correctly, I would wait for this installer. I think it's basically done, he's just tidying up a few loose ends.

Phoenixx is working on a new installer that will install both VP9 and VP8 to your system and will make it very simple for you to install both versions and it will even know whether the table should be played in VP8 or VP9. If I were you and not very sure about installing both versions correctly, I would wait for this installer. I think it's basically done, he's just tidying up a few loose ends.

I can probably figure it out and install both versions with a little bit of tinkering, but if someone else is already working on it then I'll wait.

Thanks Bob for the quick response.

I'm just curious are all VP8 tables incompatible with VP9? Or is it just a select few that require certain features (ex. reels)?

Hi shogun01

Some things need to be changed on a VP8 table to make it play and look right on VP9 IMO. Try to play some VP8 tables on VP9 and see. Just download the VP9.0.2 exe and put it in the visual pinball folder and make a shortcut to VP9.0.2 on your desktop. :idea:

I use VP9 as an add on to play VP9 tables and not as an upgrade to play older VP tables, I still use VP8.1 for them. I have no problem playing VP8 and VP9. I have XP Pro SP3. Just make sure the VP9.0.2 exe has a different name then the VP8.1 exe. If your graphics card is good enough to play VP9 and you keep track of VP9 and VP8 tables (only play VP9 tables on VP9), then all VP tables should look and play fine. JP's VP9 tables look and play great here btw. I can play all FP tables on my Desktop PC as well, no problem here. ;)

Hope that helps.
Later

why can't you play vp8's on vp9? well, the answer is quite simple, the ball is bigger in vp9 thereby making all those ramps and lanes in vp8 too small for vp9's ball. so each and every ramp, and lane must be changed within the table itself to fit the ball.ramps that travel over the table may have to be raised, creating different problems (ball speed, flipper strength etc) All the plastics may have to have their heights changed to ensure clearance under them, too. this takes a while, but there are a few who are working their asses off to convert many pins into vp9. (Tab, Destruk, Scapino, JP are but a few of these wonderful people who are converting them for us.)
But, personally I like vp9, due to it's better physics, and graphics. Sure it's buggy as hell (that 'hardware rendering' check box gives me nightmares! but i have an older computer with intel graphics and that sux when trying to work with vp9. but that is for another thread.
If I were you, I'd wait for the dual install program that Phoenix is working so diligently on! It seems to solve the problems of where to put each table and how to run two different programs without mixing the up the tables themselves.
Either way, have fun with all this stuff on here! and WELCOME!!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: eathearty has left the room.
      Back