Help Weird stuff with manual rolling the ball and other issues

AnonTet

Pinball Master
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones
did it happen to you guys, testing a table with manual rolling all of a sudden, the ball is "locked" in a small area or somewhere there's an object is not colideable anymore?

If I play normally everything seems to work (so far) but using manual rolling those two things happen randomly, albeit always on the same places...

I also have problems with the sound. Sometimes i have to save, exit FP and start again to have sound.

And obviously, physics give me trouble too. Sometimes I open FP, load the table but the physics are not like I last used

I'm using bam 301 but i already had some troubles starting 298.

It's just weird. This is happening on Black Knight a table that i'm working (slowly) as some of you know. Mind you I do have FP editor opened for quite a long time at a time but I do exit if i change something in the XML part. really weird

If you haver at some point had similar situations, let me know how you solved it.

Do you have Vertical Sync checked?

Thanks for reminding me of that. But it is checked indeed. I think the fp-bam install leave that by default.

I do have an unorthodox setup now that you mention it and it's like this since I changed my PC (hard to say really). This PC is connected to a monitor via onboard iGFX (AMD APU) and via an nvidia GPU is connected to an AV amp with passthrough to a TV...

And FP renders in the nvidia and passes everything to the iGFX so I can see in the monitor. still, it' only happens with manual rolling, luckily and not always. It's a completely random thing!

I've been doing some testing and the physics thing seems an old engine. Takes a bit to warm up first time a table is launched... usually by the 2nd ball everything seems as it should! Hopefully I fixed this one by using threaded = 0. AMD and FP seem to get along better this way. With Intel I thing I always used threaded = 1. As a side effect it seems to have cured yet another issue regarding micro-freezes from time to time.

And here I was, thinking AMD multithread was their strong point.

Anyway, enough of problems until sunday as I'll be off again. Hopefully VP is lighter on resources so I can dedicate my self to Diamond Lady on an old laptop to try and help wild.

I doubt the problem is in FP or BAM. It probably is something to do with your video card set up.

I think this might help but not sure. Someone had trouble rendering FP on a laptop and figured this out:

"The solution was taken from

On my laptop (with integrated graphics + nVidia card), FP did not like the integrated graphics card (and really, who does?
:tongue3:
) So I went into the nVidia Control Panel and explicitly set both futurepinball.exe and fploader.exe (aka BAM) to be processed by nVidia."

I know all those tricks. But I used a better one. Simply disable the igfx/igpu in the UEFI is what i'd recommend given the manufacturer gives the user a choice.

I have each card connected to its own monitor/tv and i'm rendering in one and presenting in another.

Thanks for helping and I think now my options are clear :(

I think I understand that you have a problem with the manualrollerball, and that the ball almost always block on that area you describe, and that there are objects that were previously collidable and now no longer...right?

apart from the speech of the video card, and various problems .... but if the ball always block in that area, then it could be a problem of some object in particular.... if you describe what objects they are, or rather if you send me the table I can take a look, to understand what happens and if it happens to me too

@wild
Thanks for the help.
JIt might be important to say that I'm usually in debug mode (F9). I have no clue if it happens in normal play (F5)
Please check your conversation tab for the table.

Using multi gpu setups WILL cause odd problems with games and emulators...period. Not just with FP or VP. It very important to have FP's backglass (if enabled) to be displayed on a monitor connected to your main video card as well.

To answer the original question.... I use manual ball roller A LOT but I use it with a gamepad. Have been using it for 4 years now...and not had any problems with it.

That said... you should be closing FP completely before reloading and trying another table, as that will tend to cause other odd problems to happen as well.

Thanks Terry.
I don't use a backglass on second monitor but since even windows seem to have some issues with my setup, it's not strange other software has too.

I'm just very new at this, still and trying to understand some stuff so I had to ask.
Thanks for the tip.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: chricky68 has left the room.
      Back