Sega Solved Baywatch (Sega, 1995) Machine Won't Turn On. Possible Blown Fuse.

Prhyme

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Baywatch
My buddy has a Baywatch pinball machine (Sega) at his house. Sometimes, when having a bad game he likes to switch the machine on and then off real quickly. I know this is bad practice, and it finally did something today. When flicked on and then off, something shorted and the machine will now not turn on. I imagine it's a blown fuse or something, but I really don't know where to begin. Does anybody have any idea what is causing the problem and how I may start to fix it. I've downloaded the manual and hope to start going through that tomorrow after work.

Having serviced games myself, the first thing I would check is the fuses. Probably under the playfield next to the power supply. Possibly behind the backglass, but check under the playfield first.:pinball:

hell check that switch first, it may be broken from overuse THEN check fuses

it may have a broken wire or the switch itself could be shot, but then open the table up, either in the head (the back part) or under the playfield is a fuse strip, MAKE SURE THE TABLE IS UNPLUGGED!!! take each out look at them or test them, always use the correct size fuse in replacing them too, no shortcuts here!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check the fuses when I go back to my friend's house tomorrow. Now would I have to go to a specialty store for replacement fuses, or are they something I can grab from a local hardware/electronics shop?

I've got a full manual for the table, and I've been reading up on pinrepair.com to make sure I'm not going in blind and uninformed. I found a picture that shows the location of the main fuse (I was actually about to look in that very spot after I did the damage). The funny thing is that this all happened after I had just ordered a replacement switch for the left slingshot.

You haven't installed the switch yet, right this isn't switch related, right? The fuse should be (not always) obvious. If you look at the fuse it looks like there is a little wire in it, the wire can only take so much current- if you go over that amount it "blows" severing the circuit. To check the fuse, unplug the game and pop out the fuse, hold it up to the light. If it looks like the wire is broken it is likely your problem. Sometimes however, the wire breaks in such a way that it's not always obvious, so you can either replace the fuse to see if it solves your problem or check the fuse (out of the holder) with a volt meter for continuity. Fuses are cheap, a few bucks for a package of 4 or 5. I would get a package so you have spares. Make sure you get the same amperage as what you had. If you have a 5 amp 250 volt fuse put in a 5 amp 250 volt fuse. You can get them at any hardware store.:pint:

well check that switch to ensure that it isn't stuck together causing the fuse to blow! as for the fuses they are your standard metal ended glass center fuses that most auto stores sell. just make sure you use the correct one. check a manual for the proper amperage on them if you are unsure.

The switch hasn't been installed yet. It hasn't even arrived. It was just funny to me that my previous gripe was with a dead slingshot. Anyway, we found and replaced the retired fuse. Then summarily blew another one in the same fashion. That too has been replaced, and the game is being played as I type this. One of the fuse caps is seriously FUBAR though and needs replacing. Thanks again for the advice.

Once we get the slingshot fixed, we're playing with the idea of restoring this delapidated Hocus Pocus table he has.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: HZR has posted a new reply in the thread "Complete list of VB commands".
      Back