dragons keep(wip in abandonment)

If you load model into milk shape and then export to either obj or Fbx then you should be able to load into BAM model importer and save as TGA . They may load faster.

I can try it if you send me the model ?

great solution, but I can't load anything into the BAM model importer ... I'll do something wrong, we talk about it better in private.

thanks always Bob

hope the video is better now @madmrmax ....do you have time for a drawing?

This is looking so cool @wild! I love the lighting details! I personally might not be a fan of the virtual flames and smoke -- just because it makes it feel less like a real machine. But don't remove it! I think you and all the other great builders are adding neat things that highlight what BAM provides.

Regarding "have time for a drawing" -- where do you need the image at? Is this for the backdrop area?
1598550536998.png

Last edited:
Wow I absolutely love that look of the cabinet! GF did a great job! Wild - you are assembling an awesome Dragon's Keep recreation (and more!)

Yeah looks like the knight's image resolution isn't that good making it look pixelated and then the coloring get's a bit messed up. Let me see what I can do!

-mark

Last edited:
Yes, custom models will load much faster. Keep in mind that Custom Models (and normal FP toys) will allow halo glows from bulbs to appear through them.

Your choices are either to use a normal FP model, but it needs to be a PEG or similar type of object to prevent halo glows from appearing through, or with BAM Custom Models you need to use commands to manage how the Custom model will be rendered (last,etc).

To answer what I find works really well for base lighting to "start" with on a table:

For my main lighting settings. I use what is almost the same as Dark Night preset. The key to allow shadowmaps and the new spot lights and beacon lights to be much more visible is to adjust Post Processing, between 1.0 to 1.5 (what I have in BOLD below)

Sub SetLightsParamsInBAM()
xBAM.Lights.EnableNewRenderer = TRUE
xBAM.Lights.MainLightLock = FALSE
xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightPosition 0, 200, 2000
xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightProperties 1, 0.3, 1, 0.075
xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightAttenuation 1, 0, 0
xBAM.Lights.SetOtherLightsAttenuation 0.066, 0, 0.333
xBAM.Lights.EnablePostprocessing = FALSE
xBAM.Lights.SetPostprocessing 1, 0, 1, 1
xBAM.Lights.SetPostprocessingForNewRenderer 1, 0, 1, 1, 1.5, 1, 1, 1, 0.6
End Sub

This is what you "START" with! You can't just set these settings on a current table and leave it at that. You MUST adjust ALL other lighting / flashers / bulbs for when you have GI Lighting On, and GI Lighting Off.

So I make sub routines for flashers, inserts, bulbs, GI, etc separately and assign a variable to adjust all of them easily. This way you only need to adjust a few settings as required and on the fly during gameplay. This can easily be used if you want to use Presets for Day / Night / Bright / Dark, etc

PFLights_Brightness_GI_OFF = 2.0 'brightness of light inserts when GI is off (default is 2.0)
PFLights_Brightness_GI_ON = 1.4 'brightness of light inserts when GI is on (default is 1.4)
Flashers_Brightness_GI_OFF = 1 'brightness of flashers when GI is off (default is 1.0)
Flashers_Brightness_GI_ON = 1 'brightness of flashers when GI is on (default is 1.0)
Bulbs_Brightness_GI_OFF = 2.0 'brightness of bulbs when GI is off (default is 2.0)
Bulbs_Brightness_GI_ON = 1.6 'brightness of bulbs when GI is on (default is 1.6)

Then you adjust your glow settings for lights as needed. Then you can adjust the "colour" of surfaces and objects as needed to match the lighting. Many older tables used darker colours for models and textures because FP's older lighting was so bright. Today with proper "real" lighting, you can now adjust everything to match with more realistic lighting and more visibility.

Something I don't think anyone else has been using except me is detached flashers. This is VERY handy for hiding nano flashers in the lockdown bar (no concern for glow or models being visible), and then you can position the actual light source anywhere on the table you want (x,y,z)...and without the need for a surface for height reference. This newly located light source also work with mini playfields! I used MANY of these in SW DSA Epic Space Battles mod.

@wild Looking very neat!

I looked at how you detached the nanoflashers on SW DSA. I use a model for an invisible nanoflasher that Francisco made for me. I like being able to see where it is on the table. I do have to set the heights with a surface but it is no big deal.

I looked at how you detached the nanoflashers on SW DSA. I use a model for an invisible nanoflasher that Francisco made for me. I like being able to see where it is on the table. I do have to set the heights with a surface but it is no big deal.

I actually do position my nano flashers (or whatever else I use) first on the table / editor, so I can see where they are as well. Then setup the mp, etc and get everything completely working as I want. When I'm happy... then I'll add the detach command using the same x and y in the editor, with whatever z value as needed (if at all), and then hide the model in the lockdown bar (or wherever they can be found easily)

I hate the fact we needed to use a surface reference for height on so many things in the editor. Such an old way of doing things (both FP and VP). Everything should have been able to be set by x,y,z (height, or offset).

I think I've see those invisible models, you've used. They are the ones that are basically a "dot" on the editor? They could get hard to find on a busy table (unless you are the author and know where to look) :)

When playing in VR... the nano flashers can be noticeable if they aren't hidden well. That's why I liked detaching them, and hiding the models. Very easy to find where they are in the editor (nothing in the lockbar normally, and no need to manage layers or surfaces just to find them)...and no need for another surface reference for height.

@TerryRed
Thanks.... I would like to deepen your comment( suggestion ).

apart from what you say about the models and the new spot lights and beacon lights, I would like to have some clarification regarding the shadow maps and this famous "GI" of the lights, which is not clear to me yet....... now not all the lights I mean all the objects in light (bulb, lighimage, flash, and light the one that can be modeled and not ... so 4 types of lights as object.... I hope it is clear

I would like to improve the shadow maps as you say,,,,,,so,,,,,,you suggested this code
Sub SetLightsParamsInBAM()
xBAM.Lights.MainLightLock = FALSE
xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightPosition 0, 200, 2000
xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightProperties 1, 0.3, 1, 0.075
xBAM.Lights.SetPostprocessingForNewRenderer 1, 0, 1, 1, 1.5, 1, 1, 1, 0.6
End Sub

( in your opinion),,,,which is better than what I use ie this
Sub SetLightsDarkNight()
xBAM.Lights.MainLightLock = TRUE
' --- SetMainLightPosition not used because MainLightLock = FALSE
' xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightPosition 0, 650, 500
xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightProperties 1, 0.2, 1.5, 0.025
'xBAM.Lights.SetMainLightProperties 1.2, 0.3, 1, -0.05
xBAM.Lights.SetPostprocessingForNewRenderer 1, 0, 1, 1, 2.2, 1, 1, 1, 0.2
xBAM.Lights.BallBrightness = 5.0
xBAM.Lights.BallReflection = 3
xBAM.Lights.BallShininess = 1000
xBAM.Lights.BallSpecular = 0.8
End Sub

ok...... your code is based on or linked to this "GI"?

this is this an example or a code? how to use ?

PFLights_Brightness_GI_OFF = 2.0 'brightness of light inserts when GI is off (default is 2.0)
PFLights_Brightness_GI_ON = 1.4 'brightness of light inserts when GI is on (default is 1.4)
Flashers_Brightness_GI_OFF = 1 'brightness of flashers when GI is off (default is 1.0)
Flashers_Brightness_GI_ON = 1 'brightness of flashers when GI is on (default is 1.0)
Bulbs_Brightness_GI_OFF = 2.0 'brightness of bulbs when GI is off (default is 2.0)
Bulbs_Brightness_GI_ON = 1.6 'brightness of bulbs when GI is on (default is 1.6)

NOTES: I do not use these famous nanoflash, I have not yet understood what they are, and why they are used ..... I use small and round flashes, in order not to have a bulky model

@wild

Look at "Star Wars DSA:Epic Space Battles", and you'll see how most of that code is used. Those are variables that are used in different sub routines for each type of light.

Having a more darkened Post Processing setting, will allow all shadowmpas and lighting to be more visible and "pop" more.

How you setup your shadowmaps, will be more up to you. As you know...the playfield image will also affect how easy the shadows are to see (note: that SW DSA is actually a bad example for shadowmaps because of the playfield image...but the settings are still the same)

...but using a darker Post Processing combined with the other Light settings (similar to SLAM's mostly) will give better results.... but you need to adjust "everything" else to match. It's why I create the different sub routines for each type of light to make it easier to change up everything else on the table while easily making changes to the different lights.

"GI" = general illumination used on a real pinball table. It's not a specific type of light or anything in FP. You'll see on SLAM's tables, or tables I mod that the GI is normally the 2 or 3 nano flashers used for "real" lighting, and then whatever you use to light up the plastics and other bulbs. That is then used in a "GI" Light List, so they can all be turned on and off easily. SLAM tends to change these lights to on and off in his "plastics on / off" sub routines. Again, look at Star Wars DSA: Epic Space Battles to get a good idea of how this is used.

Look at "Star Wars DSA:Epic Space Battles"

ok, I'll take a look at the script, even if last time I couldn't open the table, I have to wait a couple of minutes, and when it decides to open I have a lot of slowdowns, but this is my problem (low pc) but I have to congratulate you on this version of yours, the work you have done is very impressive.
maybe i forgot to insert a comment in your release,sorry.

update on DK
1)fixed some shortcomings, no bugs,(but animazioni) GF, he made an extraordinary code, even if something I don't understand
2)in the dragon now the prize is based on the light (fire, under the dragon) that lights up
3) add "custom camera" to the multiball
4) for me it is new, perhaps for some not..... new system of swallowing the ball in the dragon, now you can see the ball, with the help of Rav who made an animation of the ball, now you can take the ball wherever you want, but for now for what I understand, only later that the ball enters a kicker( as soon as it is ready I will put a video )
5) add 2 models, the knight, and the flames with "gif" animation around the dragon

@madmrmax
just a thought from me, you can do some intervention wherever you want, do not deprive yourself, just for the fact that you need time for the drawing of the knight, no problem, you are free...... even if for some reason you couldn't do it, no problem my friend.

If you load model into milk shape and then export to either obj or Fbx then you should be able to load into BAM model importer and save as TGA . They may load faster.

@Gimli
@TerryRed

ok, i would like to try to replace a FPM model, in TGA,( so as not to weigh down FP) to see what i get in my table, i want to understand why i see black TGA models
even if I don't see anything in the "ModelImporter" window when I load a model, I would like to test it

so ..... after I load the model in obj, in "ModelImporter" and save it in tga, then what do I do?
I load the tga, and then???? how do i replace the model in fpm?

ok, I have received an answer how to proceed ... so I can see the and understand why I see everything black....I hope

Looks cool Paolo!

Wow @wild - that is looking awesome!!

@madmrmax

Mark.....I do not want to seem invasive, you have done or better, my proposal is always active, of the re-drawing of the knight? if in case it is not possible, let me know, that I release the current version.

@madmrmax

Mark.....I do not want to seem invasive, you have done or better, my proposal is always active, of the re-drawing of the knight? if in case it is not possible, let me know, that I release the current version.
Totally ok in asking and it is not invasive at all Paolo! Right now I would say to not block on me -- I hope I can take a look before end of month, but this past month has been really hectic and I've not been able to do anything yet :( I'm sorry and I don't want you to wait on me to publish/release the current version!

thanks
-mark

Ok, after all the work on this I wish I could release it.....

but I have a problem with the magnet, I have never quite understood how it works, some might say there are many topics about it, I have read some but I still can't understand, and doing the translation of many pages, it is not much help, so if anyone is willing to help with this I say thank you.

I do not put any notice of call......ok to be clear this @ + nick .... first .... not to oblige to answer, then ... so if I do not receive any answer I do not feel bad, if the person called does not answer or cannot, or just not interested.

I'm pretty sure that almost all of us see the news or new posts, someone reads them ??? I don't know, but I think for those who have an English mother tongue I think they read them, and those who don't have English maybe not unless he is interested

having said that, I repeat, I would like to publish this table, but I need a little help, thanks for whoever wants.

best regards

I know very little about magnets. I don't think I can help.

Hi Wild,

Mate Gimli has an awesome post here that explains magnets and many other BAM features.
I used the magnet info here for Dr Dude.

If you have no one wanting to help I can have a look at it for you, I am a novice at best but will give it a go, cheers!

@madmrmax
Nice surpriseoO,and great start.

ok, about the magnet, re-reading the above topic for the umpteenth time, maybe the line MaxForce, is somehow connected to the oscillations of the ball, (so I do a lot of tests) and it is also closely related to Strength ,I also understood that the magnet must also be configured based on the physics made, so there is always something to learn and know, I hope that Rav, or someone else can help in this

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back