Pro-Football (Gottlieb, 1973) v1.0
IPDB No. 1865
IPDB HIGHLIGHTS:
Production:
4,500 units (confirmed)​
Theme:
Sports - Football​
Notable Features:
Flippers (4), Pop bumpers (2), Slingshots (2), Standup targets (4), Vari-targets (2), Spinning target (1). Ball enters playfield from between the flippers when right flipper button is pressed. Extra pair of score reels on backglass tally the Point Score.

Maximum displayed High Score is 99,990 points.
Maximum displayed Point Score is 99 points.

Sound: 3 chimes, bell, knocker.​
Design by:
Art by:
Notes:
The 2-player version is Gottlieb's 1977 'Gridiron' but with different artwork.

John Osborne explains that he did not design Pro-Football but did design Gridiron: The single-player Pro Football was just going into production when I started at Gottlieb. Pro Football was the only game that ever injured me. The story:

Since the game was in early production, there was one or two set up in the showroom at Gottlieb. Sometimes after lunch we'd go play these games. What I hated about Pro Football was that the ball could go out the side rollover while the motor was still running because of other scoring. The outlane rollover was very important --- it completed the football "run" across the playfield and gave a touchdown score. I am not much of a game pusher or tilter, but I got so frustrated from losing the outlane rollover score that I actually kicked the game. Being an amateur at this, all I did was cause an enormous bruise on my shin. At the same time I vowed that I would never design a feature like that, such a cheat for the player.

Of all games for Wayne to ask me to remake! This was my chance to fix this unjust feature. I made no change in the playfield but rather added a delay relay so that the rollover was "remembered" until the motor finished. I didn't tell Wayne I was doing it because I was afraid he might veto it on the grounds of adding expense. When he saw the result he was glad I had done it.
BACKGLASS & FLYER:
  • ProFootball.jpg
    ProFootball.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 180
  • ProFootball_F8.jpg
    ProFootball_F8.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 160
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back