1933 Bally Airway up next

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Moving away from bagatelle for a while, my first commercial flipperless effort will be Bally's 1933 Airway. Construction is complete, so Patrick and I will begin coding shortly. Testing should go fairly quickly, at least for one of my projects. With the help of members of the Pre-war Pinball Group, this should end up as close to 100% accurate as possible, given VP's limitations.

Other projects to follow will be Bally's European exports Aero Golf and Aero Soccer, and Jennings Sportman.

Bob, there are many differences in flipperless compared to home sale bagatelle. Commercial flipperless were real machines, often keeping track of scores, alhought you still had to add the scores up at the end of the game. There are also, at least on Airway and some others, covers that close once a ball has entered a scoring hole, so it can't be scored in again. And as the SS shows, they were usually very ornate and detailed in their construction.

John

Attachments

• ballyairway.jpg
    ballyairway.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 895
  • image-10.jpg
    image-10.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 779
This looks very good. very nice wood texture.
how much longer will it be ready?

Interesting problem I have Jon. The pictures I have from an owner of Airway show the colors I have in the SS. Possibly there was a later run with different colors used for the hole caps, or there is a fading issue of some sort. I'll check with the owner of the machine to see waht he thinks. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem to redo those colors if need be. Hopefully it should be ready to release by the end of the month.

John

The screenshot looks like the colors were washed by disney, druadic was famous for ruining playfields and Then trying to copyright the stuff...

I'm quite certain the colors of hot pink and flourescent purple didn't exist on this excellent 1930's machine..

:roll:

I didn't realize I had those colors. I'll have to have Patrick check the colors since he has better vision than I do. The owner of the game is going to help test it so I'm sure we'll get them right.

John

Hey! :oldman

I love this machine and always believed this was one of druadic's best effort..:
normal_airway.jpg

I appreciate any effort to make Airway better!

Jon

That was done by Redswal, and the major problem is that the ball gets hung up on the pins. He didn't place the pins properly, which is why the ball hangs. I used enlarged images to place the pins accurately in the version I'll working on.

I also added a shot of a full view from the IPBD to my first post. From what I can tell, I have the colors right, my just need to be toned down some.

John

Bally Airway

I know almost nothing about pinball machines, let alone antique pinball machines, but I did grow up playing with a Bally Airway which my father has had since he was 8 years old (or there abouts) in rural North Dakota. It is in great shape, I do remember it not having any kind of strange colors like those in your photos. He still has the machine. I don't think he knows how to download a photo to a chat room, but if you have specific questions, you can email him (Ray) at [email protected].

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: HZR has posted a new reply in the thread "Complete list of VB commands".
      Back