Air Hockey (Nintendo Switch, 2018) VP9.95

VP9 Flipperless Recreation Video Games Air Hockey (Nintendo Switch, 2018) VP9.95 v1.0 2021-02-28

No permission to download

romolo2002

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
argosy

Attachments

• Air Hockey img.jpg
    Air Hockey img.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 92
Hi @romolo2002,
The screenshot is beautiful, and I like the idea here. However, I tried this in VP9.95 and found some bugs and shortcomings with the game:

- The flipper keys sort of get 'stuck' going in a particular direction, and require an extra key-press or two to recover.
- It doesn't make sense to me that the paddle can 'wrap around the screen.' I'd recommend that when the paddle gets in to a corner, it can't move any further in that direction.
- There aren't enough paddle positions represented IMO. I think you have about 10 positions right now, and I'd recommend doubling it to 20. That would help the paddle move less jerkily.
- A different idea to try might be representing the paddles with balls instead of walls. That way you could move the paddle around much more realistically, and allow for Y movement, too. It would also let you add velocity and 'english' to your shots by doing a bit of math between the ball representing the puck and the ball representing the paddle.
- Flipper key presses should repeat IMO. Right now it's pretty awkward having to keep tapping furiously to move the paddle around. Once you get the keys to repeat, you'll then probably want to slow the movement down.
- Ideally this should be a mouse-driven game. I don't know if that was made easier in VP9 and/or VPX, but I could try to research that if interested. Edit: see below.
- The AI could certainly use some help. Instead of jumping around like it does right now, maybe you could have it (mostly) follow the X-location of the puck.

Anyway, nice first effort, and I hope you continue to improve this game!

Last edited:
@romolo2002,
Ok, ho fatto un po 'più di ricerca sulla possibilità di controllo del mouse e sospetto che potrebbe funzionare!

In VPX6, quando giochi a un tavolo, puoi premere "D" per entrare in modalità debugger. Seleziona la casella "controllo palla". Ora puoi prendere la palla e trascinarla, o semplicemente fare clic su un'area e la palla si sposterà lì. (meglio farlo dopo che la palla è immersa)

Questo dimostra semplicemente che l'input del mouse sulla palla può funzionare almeno a un certo livello.

Successivamente, se guardi le impostazioni "chiave / altro", puoi vedere che VPX6 sa come prendere gli input analogici X e Y per influenzare il nudge. (Sono molto indietro su quella roba come utente non cabinet)

Sono necessarie ulteriori ricerche su questo, ma la situazione sembra almeno promettente.

Anche se tutto il resto fallisce, dovrebbe essere possibile tramite un keymapper di terze parti (mi piace "RBJoy") per campionare input del mouse e trasformalo in sequenze di tasti. Dovrebbe funzionare con qualsiasi versione di VP, se preferisci non scherzare con VPX.

Spero che questo abbia aiutato un po '. :)

Original English:
Okay, I did a little bit more research on the possibility of mouse control, and I suspect it could work!

In VPX6, when playing a table, you can hit "D" to go in to debugger mode. Check the "ball control" box. Now you can pick up the ball and drag it around, or simply click on an area, and the ball will move there. (better to do it after the ball is plunged)

This simply demonstrates that mouse input on the ball can work at least at some level.

Next, if you look at the "key / other" settings, you can see that VPX6 knows how to take X and Y analog input to affect nudge. (I'm way behind on that stuff as a non-cabinet user)

More research is needed on this, but the situation at least looks promising.

Even if all else fails, it should be possible via a 3rd-party keymapper (I like "RBJoy") to sample mouse input and turn it in to keystrokes. That should work with any VP version at all, if you prefer not to mess with VPX.

Hope that helped a bit. :)

Attachments

• Debugger, ball control in VPX6.jpg
    Debugger, ball control in VPX6.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Mouse input - VPX.6.jpg
    Mouse input - VPX.6.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Accipicchia(wow).....sono sorpreso?,non credevo che tu @Ike Savage ,potessi scrivere in Italiano....come non sapevo che Romolo fosse Italiano.Se tu hai usato il traduttore,lo hai usato, direi ottimamente....tranne per la parola "immersa" dipende dal contesto di cui si parla,la parola immersa.....potrebbe significare anche,come ad esempio,la palla immersa dentro l acqua.

@romolo2002 ,complimenti per questo tavolo di hochey...ma non è per vpx? ma vp9,lo devo provare......sto pensando che potrei creare una versione per FP/Bam....credo che con @Gimli ,potremmo realizzarlo.....chi sà!!

Last edited:
@Ike Savage
@romolo2002

I also encountered some problems,as it says Ike.... for example ... moving the paddle left and right (is the object with which to hit the disc called so?) it seems to jump one direction for the other......and in my opinion it would be better to replace them with the arrow keys

I noticed that the puck (the ball) stops......I agree with Ike, the positions available to hit the puck are few.....I only tried it for 5 minutes, but I keep trying it

Ps:Ike....you translated what I said into Italian?

Ps: Ike....you translated what I said into Italian?
Yes sir. I simply used Google-Translate!

But it was fun, because my limited Spanish & French allowed me to recognise many words after the translation.

I'm not sure FP - BAM is 100% ready for a hockey project (programming-wise), but I'd love to see it. I did mention that in Bob's Billiards thread the other day, but he didn't respond directly. Maybe one day. :)

Yes sir. I simply used Google-Translate!

But it was fun, because my limited Spanish & French allowed me to recognise many words after the translation.
Good......Bene!!
I'm not sure FP - BAM is 100% ready for a hockey project (programming-wise), but I'd love to see it. I did mention that in Bob's Billiards thread the other day, but he didn't respond directly. Maybe one day
ahhh, sorry I didn't see and read it, you mentioned it......

but you know what I think,Nik.... it's easier than you think ..... (because I have clear ideas) with the new features, it's possible ...... I don't know if you've tried it, but in Nintendo, when the ball enters the vertical mini-playfield.....with mario, inside that miniplayfield, is as if you were playing hochey ..... think so .... instead of the princess on top there is another mario who pushes the ball away obviously it is to be perfected ..... blah blah blah :lol:

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: GeorgeH has posted a new reply in the thread "Sounds library".
      Back