BAM FP BAM OpenVR Guide (by TerryRed)

Future Pinball
In virtual desktop program under input click use controllers as gamepad. Then in Fp under keyboard and controllers set the buttons (that should work but I use a 3rd party mapping program that allows mapping controllers to keyboard keys)
Thank you. Will give that a try. What 3rd party tool are you using for mapping out of interest?

First impressions for the new Steam Link app on Quest 3...

It only works with wireless connection. When I turn off Wi-Fi on my Q3, then connect my link cable... and then run Steam Link app on Q3.... it doesn't recognize Link as a connection. It only searches for wireless connections, and with your Wifi on, then it will just use that automatically, even if your link cable is connected

Simply put.... if given a choice between Steam Link and VD for wireless.... run far away from Steam Link. Don't be a cheap ass, and just buy VD. For "wireless" PCVR or 3d gaming... or 2D gaming... VD simply is better... much better.

Steam Link is a bit of a mess. It confuses gamepad controls with Touch controls.

It launches games differently (because its' using "Steam Link / streaming protocols"), so not everything 2D will just work normally. I found many games would just run very poorly.... no matter the settings in th game or what I was using in Windows.

With VD.... it just "streams" and doesn't have anything extra involved, so its much cleaner / easier and everything (2D) will just work.

That said... for some PC VR, if using wireless it can be much better than Air Link, since you are not using the Oculus app at all now. So I was able to get better looking colour, etc.

However.... when I run a manual resolution setting in SteamVR (like up to 500%)... I find it uses some bad foveated rendering, whereas with VD I see none of that. (edited)

I do like that you can change the VR setting within the Steam Link app itself, and you can do "per app" settings with SteamVR.

One benefit though.... it looks and runs MUCH better than Air Link does with FP in VR (oculus app is not ran at all).... but not as good as VD.

For FP... I found you have to set BAM menu Latency to -1 for Steam Link compared to 1 for VD (for "me")... and their position settings will be different for each as well.

Last edited:
Welcome to the ALL NEW and updated...

BAM OpenVR Guide

by TerryRed

Version 1.0, Nov 2023

1701851571313.png

This guide is dedicated to try to get Future Pinball Bam-OpenVR working on Meta Quest VR. We'll talk about using Oculus Link, Air Link, Steam Link and the Virtual Desktop wireless solutions.

For other headsets such as the Vive, Index, G2, Pico, etc I don't cover their settings (I don't have one of these headsets), but the settings and info should still apply to you.

This guide already assumes you are already familiar with VR as well as Future Pinball and BAM.

Nothing on this guide is set in stone! Windows updates, VR hardware, GPU drivers, Steam VR, Steam Link, Oculus desktop app, etc change regularly which can have an effect on required settings... as does your PCs hardware.

What I'm posting here is based on my own experiences. Yours may vary.

This guide is now completely updated and renamed as the BAM OpenVR Guide

- I now have all my guides and tutorials in PDF format
- this new guide has been created to be used with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package
- all my guides and tutorials are now only included with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package

You can download the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package (and BAM OpenVR Guide) here:

A video tutorial that walks you through this guide can be seen here

Chapters

00:00 Start
01:13 BAM OpenVR Introduction
05:34 Requirements
07:24 FP Settings and Vsync
10:20 Create Custom Resolution using 72/80/90 Hz to allow Vsync
14:36 VR Connection options
20:26 Virtual Desktop
28:36 Steam Link
29:47 Meta Link and Air Link
30:57 Steam VR possible issues
35:08 Focus Issues
36:06 Performance Overlays
37:15 BAM VR menu - important settings (vsync off, frame latency)
38:03 Install my BAM OpenVR settings
40:51 RayCast Ball Shadows
42:53 Try a FP table in VR using Virtual Desktop (VD)
47:08 BAM VR Menu settings
53:58 Play Sonic Pinball Mania in VR
1:00:40 Play FP in VR using windowed mode
1:03:56 Setup PinEvent to display a pup-pack in VR
1:08:00 Play Sonic with pup-pack shown in VR (windowed)
1:11:22 Play Star Wars DSA GE with pup-pack shown in VR (fullscreen)
1:19:50 Closing

FP and BAM Essnetials AIO 2.3 update

New - run BAM Open VR with Open Composite (option)

- new BAM-OpenVR-OC folder and "Start FP - VR-OC.bat" file. These are used to run FP in VR using new Open Composite option to bypass SteamVR and use Oculus runtime directly
- openvr_api.dll (in BAM-OpenVR-OC \ plugins) has been replaced with the (32 bit) Open Composite version
- this will give much better performance and stability when using Meta Link or Air Link
- requires a Meta Quest or Oculus VR headset
- requires Meta Link or Air Link used with the Meta (Oculus) PC app
- requires OpenXR runtime set to use Oculus (use XR Picker app to set this)

In the main FP folder, you can use "Start FP - VR-OC.bat" to automatically start FPLoader in "BAM-OpenVR-OC" with the required FP video settings for VR.

- Install, Info, and OpenVR guides updated for new BAM OpenVR and Open Composite info

Note: that Open Composite will NOT work with Virtual Desktop!

For anyone who hasn't tried FP in VR for a long while.... as of BAM 1.5-373, ALL 3d and synch issues FP had in VR have all been fixed! FP runs correctly and smoothly using ALL VR options (Virtual Desktop, Steam Link, Air Link, Link Cable, Open Composite, Steam VR).... as long as your PC is fast enough.

@Gimli

@ravarcade

I'm not sure what changed, but FINALLY the newest Open Composite works with the new BAM 1.5-373 update!

This is great, as now by installing the newest Open Composite 32 bit DLL (openvr_api.dll) into BAM-OpenVR \ plugins... we completely bypass SteamVR (only when using Link or Air Link). This runs MUCH better than SteamVR, and now with the new BAM 1.5-373 it ALL runs correctly.

FP-BAM in VR has NEVER run this good with Link or Air Link!

Last edited:
BAM update (1.5-373), critical VR updates, FizX physics 3.3, PinEvent tables updated, MOTU CE?

Hi..just got into VR pinball and I'm astounded by the work you put into FP!...off the charts! I've got FP working in VD but out of all the Event 2 tables I can only get Jaws BBE to 'inject' into VR.
All the others load but stay on the desktop view i.e no 'flickering' Future pinball sign, just prior to injection. I've got to be missing something really simple.
I've confirmed all games have option 5 selected, using dummy screen 2 etc etc ...as I say Jaws BBE works flawlessly. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Hi..just got into VR pinball and I'm astounded by the work you put into FP!...off the charts! I've got FP working in VD but out of all the Event 2 tables I can only get Jaws BBE to 'inject' into VR.
All the others load but stay on the desktop view i.e no 'flickering' Future pinball sign, just prior to injection. I've got to be missing something really simple.
I've confirmed all games have option 5 selected, using dummy screen 2 etc etc ...as I say Jaws BBE works flawlessly. Any help would be massively appreciated.
Make sure Fp video settings are NOT set to fullsceen

Thanks for getting back to me @Gimli ! FP loader (BAM-open VR) is set to windowed mode and Jaws BBE works flawlessly + PUP streamed. Would the FP loader settings not apply to all games? It's only Jaws BBe that runs OK...all other PEV2 games fail to inject.

Thanks for getting back to me @Gimli ! FP loader (BAM-open VR) is set to windowed mode and Jaws BBE works flawlessly + PUP streamed. Would the FP loader settings not apply to all games? It's only Jaws BBe that runs OK...all other PEV2 games fail to inject.

Don't confuse seeing videos on Jaws with the Pinevent pup-pack. Jaws has its own videos integrated in the table that will always work. That doesn't mean you have the pup-pack running and displaying in the table.

If you are referring to pupstream on Pinevent V2 tables not working....

They all work (for PinEvent V2 tables only) the same way and use PinEvent_V2_settings.txt by default (unless you enabled custom settings in the table script).

By default PUP (for vr mode) and pupstream is disabled in PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt. You need to enable PUP for VR mode and also enable pupstream in PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt.

Then you must be sure the pup fulldmd display is not covered by the FP window or any other window. You also must b using the newest pup-pack included with the table, or it wont start. Also, make sure you have Option 5 selected for each pup-pack (as long as the FP in windowed mode is not covering the pup-pack.

You can also start the table with F9 to see what is happening on table startup.

PinEvent Lite tables have pupstream disabled as there is no videos or text in the pup-pack to be shown.

Thanks Terry...pupstream is working fine on all tables (not just the in table Jaws BBe mini screen). My issue is actually not pupstream, it's that only the Jaws bbe table kicks into VR...all other tables stay flat screen. Using VD and Bam-open VR (FP loader.
Why would only Jaws BBE kick into VR and the other PEV2 tables not?

Thanks Terry...pupstream is working fine on all tables (not just the in table Jaws BBe mini screen). My issue is actually not pupstream, it's that only the Jaws bbe table kicks into VR...all other tables stay flat screen. Using VD and Bam-open VR (FP loader.
Why would only Jaws BBE kick into VR and the other PEV2 tables not?

The tables have no control over FP running in VR or not. I would try removing any file in BAM-OpenVR \ CFG folder and see if that helps.

Also, when FP starts the table, you may need to click into the FP window to allow it to be focused and then switch into VR (depends on how your PC handles VR).

Mr Red!!!...you are a genius... deleting the CFG files was the answer!......strange though as part of the install process is to install them?

Mr Red!!!...you are a genius... deleting the CFG files was the answer!......strange though as part of the install process is to install them?

No. You install the CFG files for "desktop" and "cabinet" (in BAM \ CFG).

You don't install them for VR in BAM-OpenVR \ CFG (since it doesnt use a camera view like 2D does for proper pov).

Last edited:
@Gimli @ravarcade

So... thanks to a finding from Flint Beastwood...

... this is now a thing. YES!!!!

A new custom version of the 32 bit Open Composite DLL that allows Future Pinball in VR to now use VDXR!

(VDXR normally only supports 64 bit apps)

Testing is ongoing. Expect a new update for my "FP and BAM Essentials AIO" and my BAM OpenVR Guide to be coming.

No more Steam VR.... no more Oculus app!

REJOICE!

1711543725975.png

1711543743008.png

1711543761627.png

So... can confirm.... it seems it's the new update from VD that has allowed VDXR to work in 32 bit now.

I used a new install of my FP and BAM Essentials AIO which had the newer OC 32 bit dll preinstalled. All I did was install my BAM settings files for VR into the BAM-OpenVR-OC folder. Ran VD... boom, FP works just fine with VDXR.

I also installed the latest 32 bit DLL from the OC site afterward and used a separate BAM VR folder... and it also work fine.

So whatever the VD update did... it works.

That latency is impressive.

That latency is impressive.

Some guys will use a USB C to Ethernet adapter, because they prefer VD that much more over the Link cable / Oculus app.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back