Banjo-Kazooie: The Pinball Adventure 2.0!

Theguyoverthere

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Just like for the Xbox 360 sometime later this year (It's true, wiki "banjo kazooie 3"!) the Bear and Bird are back! I have started working on my fabled Banjo-Kazooie pinball project. Almost 2 years in the making, it's still not quite done all the way yet. I need YOUR help! That's right! I need your suggestions and comments and feedback on BK Pin! For those who haven't played the current version, here is a version (not up-to-date) of the table and Music Please try it out, and point out anything that seems peculiar or odd or any suggestions about it. Give me any type of feedback you can think of so that version 2.0 can be a smash hit! I've attached a screenshot to show what 2.0 currently looks like (it's a bit different than the version currently out there). The possible changes I'm going to try to make, in addition to many other suggestions added by YOU in the future are summed up in this vpforums post:
Originally posted by gamelova
MAJOR NEWS
(Sort of)

Alright, I have a sort of major update. I have somewhat started on the creation of... Banjo-Kazooie: The Pinball Adventure 2.0. A somewhat totally revamped, fixed, updated, edited, nice and pretty version.

For the past couple of days, I have been thinking of improvements. I wrote them all down, and I'm sure there are plenty more (be sure to add them!)
These are the following things I'm going to try and implement (growing list) Get ready for a revolution! :cool: I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • More Defined BBQ Bash apon completion of game (Ultra Wizard Mode)
  • Different music during Jinjo Multiball that actually makes sense
  • Objective during Jinjo Multiball
  • Higher Mystery Points and possibly other random awards
  • Display for random awards, animated roulette wheel thing or something
  • Make SharkFood Island targets useful
  • Make MMM secret passage count as a left orbit shot
  • Animated bumpers
  • Make Pink Jinjo visible
  • Delay for Jinjos resetting
  • Make Mumbo Multiball more in depth
  • More feedback from the machine (more Sound FX, lights, textbox help, etc.)
  • Smaller file size (By making sound samples lower quality and such)
  • Have a nice set of MP3s that aren't too big and loop correctly
  • FIX ALL BUGS
  • Animated Bonus Count
  • Better Mumbo "huts"!
  • make things mathematically perfect
  • Use light sequencer more
  • More defined skill shot
  • DEBUG OPTIONS: Add/Remove a ball in case one gets lost or magically created, manually lower SharkFood Island so balls don't get trapped inside
  • Limit number of balls allowed on the playfield at once?
  • BETTER BALL THAT RESEMBLES SOMETHING OF A CIRCLE.
  • Fix music in later battles
  • Make more golden sounds in Treasure Trove Cove during super bumpers
  • Fix Mansion Madness: make completion points not multiplied by modes, instead multiply the ghoul values by modes running! (maybe)
  • Make Clanker Craziness worth more
  • Secrets
So there ya go, stay tuned as I am getting started on Version 2.0 :D I could really use any more suggestions, graphic wise or gameplay wise. We want version 2 to look and play as great as possible :)

So yeah, make sure you give it a shot if you haven't already, and give me some feedback and such so I can make version 2.0 super duperly awesome :D

Attachments

• BKPin2.0.jpg
    BKPin2.0.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 483
Taken from vpforums: (update on my progress) :)

Me making progress? It's a miracle!
I've just added something I'm sure you've all been waiting for... A difficulty option! As well as a number of balls option!

When you start up the table, it asks you to choose your difficulty level. Afterwords, it will then ask you how many balls you want. You can play with 1 ball up to 5, it's your choice!

The difficulty levels are:
1.) Extra Easy
2.) Easy
3.) Normal
4.) Hard
5.) Extra Hard

The following changes are adjusted depending on each difficulty level:

• Gobi's Valley's Mode Time
  • Number of "Yumblies" to beat Mr. Vile
  • Number of Bumper hits required to beat Treasure Trove Cove
  • How the Mansion Targets advance (Easy makes it not reset each ball, Extra Easy makes it not reset AND makes it advance twice as fast)
  • Mansion Madness Time
  • Click Clock Wood Hurry Up Time
  • Rusty Bucket Run Time
  • Clanker Craziness Time
  • A "helper kicker" on the clanker ramp that is enabled on extra easy
  • More!

I've also done the usual bug-fixing. Now you should actually be able to get to the final battle... before occasionally it would just refuse to start...

Also, if the ball gets stuck under Sharkfood Island (the upper playfield), you can hit "S" and it will lower it, allowing the ball to come out.

Hurray for back-up plans!

There will probably be more to come! Your opinions would be great too. I want this thing to be awesome when it's done, and it would help a lot for every piece of advice I hear :)

It's not done yet ;) Hence why this is in the works in progress forum.

I can give you... this, which is a fairly updated version 2.0... not the final. Don't forget the music pack, too. (put those mp3's in the music folder) That version does not have the difficulty settings programmed yet, I believe, but it looks and plays "fancier", I guess... :p Give it a play and tell me any suggestions or comments you might have for it. :)

I want this thing to be awesome when it's done, and it would help a lot for every piece of advice I hear :)

You need lots of work on the graphics and you need to make the table elements look more real to accomplish your goal of creating an awesome table. The ramp and slingshot graphics make no sense to me.

Text decals are great, but when a Text Decal displays 2 lines of text, it looks bad, so you need to use 2 text decals to make it look better. For example, the text for Mumbo Mountain looks blurry, try using 1 Text decal for Mumbo and 1 Text decal for Mountain. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words of wisdom, Bob! You're about the first person to actually give me some feedback :)

Thanks for the tip about decals... I'll try that out now. As for the work on graphics and making the table elements look more real... I kind of have an idea but not exactly. The pinball game is based off the N64 game Banjo-Kazooie, which is quite cartoonish in itself. I tried to capture the atmosphere of the game into the pinball machine, which I think I did with the color schemes and graphics. But, by doing this it appears I forgot that this was a pinball machine! The parts don't look like pinball parts. I kind of think it's cool, but perhaps I can work on it to create a hybrid sort of look.

Maybe point me to some places that need serious work and ideas on how to change them? You mentioned the slingshot and ramp... Well, the ramp goes with the world Clanker's Cavern, which is like a yucky sewer places with a mechanical garbage disposal shark. It's not supposed to be pretty :p The slingshots represent Gruntilda's old ship, the Rusty Bucket. It does look a bit half-baked though. Maybe if I simply put propeller images on the slingshots with a brown gradient...

The main thing is that you are happy with the game.... It's all about having fun with the editor.

When I talk about table elements looking more real, I mean walls and where you placed these walls and how you place these walls. They need to look like you used a ruler to make nice straight lines or like you were building a house and all the walls are the same size. The table currently looks like a rough layout, meaning that you have things where you want them, but now you need to do the finishing touches. This is just a few observations from one area of the table.... The flippers are not aligned to each other, the right one is 4 units lower then the left one. The flippers also have walls going right into them, this isn't physically possible. Those walls are right from the "new table" not reshaped, same color, no graphic and just one big solid block of gray. The light in between the flippers is too big and is not centered, it's closer to the right flipper. These are all little things, but when viewed altogether, it gives the table a very unfinished look. Remember, I'm basing all of this on the fact that you said you wanted this to be an awesome table.....

Ah, yes. Now I think I've gotchya. Yeah, when I was first making it, I just wanted to get my ideas down and didn't realize how sloppily I did it. It's hard to fix it now... But I've tried. I put the flippers level on the same plane, made it so the wall doesn't go through them, and added some scenery to the Clanker Ramp (like a little tunnel and ball stop tunnel). I'm not sure if I'm going to keep that in or not. It makes it look kind of cool, but then again, if I put it in there, I should really try and make it mathematically perfect... which seems to be a challenge for me :p

Well here are my 2 cts :)

The graphics could be improved as Bob already explained. I'm not really fond of the flow in this table, the major element that ruins the flow for me are probably the two small upper games. I don't like spending a lot of time with shooting targets with small flippers.

I do think the table has a nice ruleset, there is a lot to discover. The music is well chosen and suits the table.

Yes, graphics... I'll get around to them some time... eventually... :p
As for flow... hmm. I always thought it had pretty good flow, with every shot leading to another shot. I guess it's just the fact that there are so many drop targets. I can see what you mean. I added some secret passages to help flow... kind of. Like the Mad Monster Mansion one and the Gobi's Valley one... I also made it so the upper left flipper can shoot it the ball out of that area... hmm. Not much I can do about flow :|

I guess my table is more like a Pat Lawlor table than a Steve Richie table ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back