Bendigo's interview

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
1 When did you play your first game of pinball, and what game was it, if you remember? Your first game of VP/VPM?

My first game was played in a barber shop when I was about 5 years old, so would have been around 1956. I can't remember much about the game except I am sure that it had only 1 flipper. I suspect that it may have been Williams 'Nine Sisters'.

I didn't play again until around 1963 and I remember the 2 games that I played regularly were both Gottlieb games, 'Sweethearts' and 'Cover Girl'.

2 When did you discover VP? Do you prefer VP or VPM tables? Are there any types of tables you don’t care for, and which era do you enjoy best, such as 20s-40s commercial coin-op, bagatelle, Ems, SS, modern VPM.

I discovered VP around Feb 2002 while searching the net for some other long forgotten pinball program. I prefer VP over VPM probably because I prefer EM tables. VPM is just another thing that I will eventually need to learn, but not yet. Until recently I had no interest in flipperless or bagatelle, but
that has now changed.

3 If you are an author, do you work along, or with partners? Which of your tables is your favorite, and why? Which of your tables do you feel is your best?

I prefer to work alone. I have one WIP that I am doing with Duglis that is held up until I can find a playfield pic. I think my favorite table (of my own) is Gottlieb's 'Flipper'. I used to own this game so spent weeks getting it to play just like the real game. I think the best one of my tables is probably Pop-A-Card.

4 Do you agree or disagree that Originals are the future of VP? What is your favorite VPF forum, and why?

Tough question as there are still literally hundreds of games to be recreated. My favorite VPF forum is probably 'VP Latest Recreated Table Releases' for obvious reasons.

5 What are your best table making skills? What if anything is the hardest part of table making for you?

I think my table making skills are fairly well divided, I don't actually find anything hard. I tend to find that scripting bores me a lot.

6 Do you have any hints or tips for making tables that would be helpful to other authors? What do you feel is most important in table making, graphics, layout, playability, added sounds, or something else?

Hints for making tables, hmm. All I can say is look at how others make tables and how they do particular things. The most important thing about making a table is trying to make it 'feel' and play like a real table.

7 What kind of computer set-up do you have? Are you a computer whiz or a computer nerd?

I have 3 computers and use a 2.4Ghz/1Gb/Radeon 9800 machine to craete tables then make sure that they play correctly on the other 2 pcs. I have been repairing computers since 1982, and am now retired.

8 Where do you live? How old are you? What kind of work do you do? Describe yourself. What are you hobbies and interests other than VP/VPM? Is there any other personal stuff you’re willing to share with me?

I live 50km west of Sydney, Australia and am 53 years old. I am now retired due to health problems, and spend most of my time with my lovely wife . My hobbies include model trains, kites and electronics.

9 What are some of your favorite VP/VPM tables done by someone other than you? Why?

This might sound strange, but I don't actually play tables unless I am test playing a table for one of the IRP team members.

10 Do you, and how often do you play real pins? What are some of your favorites? Any that you’re really good on that you simply don’t enjoy playing?

I haven't played a real pin for about 5 years. Bring back the good old days when every corner shop had one.

11 Any advice for a new VPF member? Better yet, any advice for old, seasoned VPF members? Do you think there are too many VP forums? Do you visit any other than VPF?

For new members, don't be afraid to ask questions - that's how we all learn. For older members, well there is not much I can say. Other forums, there are other forums?

12 Who, if anyone, do you consider to be the movers and shakers in the VP community, or the superstars, and why? Is there one Author whose work you always download, even without seeing the SS or knowing anything other than the name of the table?

It's hard to say, but I think that generally the quality of work is improving. I always look at a SS before downloading a table and NEVER download anything larger than 4 megs.

13 What are the advantages and disadvantages of working as part of the IRP >team?

The advantages are numerous, the rest of the team is there if I have a question about rules for a game or need help with some of the finer points of gameplay. Its also handy knowing that our tables will be properly test played before release. So far I have found no disadvantages at all.

14 What are some of the tables you've played in Australia that might not have been known in the US?

Nothing comes to mind. Possible only the Hankin tables would have been known better here than in the US.

The remaining interviews, which will be my last ones, in no particular order, are:

Krisitan
Loafer
Phoenixx
Penquin
Erwin
Bubblehead

Another fascinating interview...

One suggestion Tilt...

Either re-write your interviews, so the questions "disappear"...

eg "Bendigo's first game of pinball was 1962. He.... etc etc"

OR

Put each question in BOLD.

Otherwise, I find them very hard to read.

Staypuft, I wish I had the time to convert the interviews into profiles, like I had been doing, but I don't. And as bolding the ?s, hopefully before long I'll have the energy to do that. For the time being, I figure getting them posted is better than simply abandoning the project. And anyone who still has my questions, if you send them in, I'll at least edit and post them. But I won't be able to continue with new ones. Sorry about that folks. And to answer a question that a number of people have asked me the past week, no, I'm not on my death bed, at least not yet.

John

OK tilt - you've certainly been busy.

Perhaps you need to train up someone else to help in the interview game?
(I won't volunteer.. I *know* I don't have the time for such a project)

Well Mr Marshmallow Man, I don't see a profile of you. I've volunteered to take over the profiles, and you just popped up on my radar. I don't know if you have a copy of the questions right now, but I plan on using John's questions. I'll pm you a little later with my e-mail address and questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back