WIP Original Table FP Billiard Queen (original)

Future Pinball
Thanks I'll try that and post the result! I don't have dof or pup.

Setting those two things to false in meteor resolves the error, but now the table is black. no graphics show up. I can start a game and play it without it stopping, I just can't see much of anything. But this is progress. I will tinker with display settings when I have a bit of time. Thanks! Once I can play these tables properly, I will feel comfortable attempting the fizxification of Billiard Queen!

Setting those two things to false in meteor resolves the error, but now the table is black. no graphics show up. I can start a game and play it without it stopping, I just can't see much of anything. But this is progress. I will tinker with display settings when I have a bit of time. Thanks! Once I can play these tables properly, I will feel comfortable attempting the fizxification of Billiard Queen!
Wonderful! Yes check out the graphics settings. I also noticed that Meteor seems to do some custom camera control, I noticed in your screen shots you might be using a monitor in portrait (up & down) orientation and perhaps using cabinet view? I'm not positive there. There might be a bug in the code for the Meteor table which has the camera facing the wrong way.

Note that all of TerryRed's PinEvent tables as well as the MetaTed's Cars table also have similar settings like below that you would want to turn off:
Code:
    DOF_enabled            = True    ' enable DOF for cabinet users with feedback and lighting
    PUP_SSF_enabled        = True    ' enable PUP SSF (needs Pinup Player and FP_PUP_SSF PuP-Pack installed)

Wonderful! Yes check out the graphics settings. I also noticed that Meteor seems to do some custom camera control, I noticed in your screen shots you might be using a monitor in portrait (up & down) orientation and perhaps using cabinet view? I'm not positive there. There might be a bug in the code for the Meteor table which has the camera facing the wrong way.

Note that all of TerryRed's PinEvent tables as well as the MetaTed's Cars table also have similar settings like below that you would want to turn off:
Code:
    DOF_enabled            = True    ' enable DOF for cabinet users with feedback and lighting
    PUP_SSF_enabled        = True    ' enable PUP SSF (needs Pinup Player and FP_PUP_SSF PuP-Pack installed)
And to note, Terry does an amazing job at documenting all of the options for his PinEvent tables. As well as the AIO table framework. It definitely pays off to read the manual for those!

Terry's work is simply incredible, for sure!

I have a thought. When I get fizx implemented I might dabble and see if I can come up with a way of automating these two variables - eg check for the presence of a pup config file and if not present turn off pup, and similar for dof. I'd leave the lines discussed above commented so if my code doesn't work users could uncomment those to override it. Not sure which files I would check for yet, but as a concept I'm intrigued.

I have a thought. When I get fizx implemented I might dabble and see if I can come up with a way of automating these two variables - eg check for the presence of a pup config file and if not present turn off pup, and similar for dof. I'd leave the lines discussed above commented so if my code doesn't work users could I comment those to override it. Not sure which files I would check for yet, but as a concept I'm intrigued.
I like that idea. Perhaps start with attempting to create the object(s) in script and see if that errors out or returns nothing. That could be used to set the value based upon "is this even available".

Personally, I set BAM security to most restrictive since I have a security mindset.

But yeah, I'm sure it would be great to find some way to not require people who just want to play the table to have to go into the script. (in an ideal world)

Oh error catching is a great idea. That way those with the feature installed but some other configuraton issue breaking it for that table would still be able to run it. So much better than just the presence of a file.

Plus FP is already up against a "not as good" mentality in the broader VP community so anything that reduces problems running tables is good. (It's as good of course, we know that here...)

Those variables don't fix cars on my system. Oh well. Well get there.

Oh error catching is a great idea. That way those with the feature installed but some other configuraton issue breaking it for that table would still be able to run it. So much better than just the presence of a file.
In VB script you can do the following to error check without getting a runtime error:
Code:
Dim icom : Set icom = xBAM.Get("icom") ' "icom" is name of "icom.dll" in BAM\Plugins dir

Function CreateObject(className)
    set CreateObject = nothing

If not (icom is Nothing) Then
        on error resume next
            Err.Clear
            Set CreateObject =icom.CreateObject(className)
            Err.Clear
        on error goto 0
    End If

End Function

Those variables don't fix cars on my system. Oh well. Well get there.
For Cars, make the following changes:

Update icom code to this code block
Code:
Dim icom : Set icom = xBAM.Get("icom") ' "icom" is name of "icom.dll" in BAM\Plugins dir

Function CreateObject(className)
    set CreateObject = nothing

If not (icom is Nothing) Then
        on error resume next
            Err.Clear
            Set CreateObject =icom.CreateObject(className)
            Err.Clear
        on error goto 0
    End If

End Function

Modify the DMDExt initialization to this block:
Code:
'######################## DMDExt - Launch from table ########################

' By JLou

' This is used to Launch DMDExt directly from the table (if enabled)
' This requires the BAM iCOM plugin to be set in the table script first to work!
' In the BAM menu, the BAM iCOM plugin must be set to "Same as VPX" to work!
' Read AIO Example Table tutorial for more information

Dim DMDext : Set DMDext = CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )

If Launch_DMDExt = true then
    if not DMDext is Nothing then
        DMDext.Run """%DMDFP_EXE%"" mirror -s futurepinball -g " & xbam.table.name & " -q --use-ini=""%DMDFP_INI%""",0
    else
        ' we couldn't get the DMD ext so turn off DMD.
        Launch_DMDExt = false
    End If
End If

And you should be good to go!

Thsnk you! I will give that a shot. The error persists on the AiO table as well.

That worked for cars. Thanks! Its a fun table.

Thsnk you! I will give that a shot. The error persists on the AiO table as well.
Yup! You'll need to apply the fix that you did for Cars to the AiO table and it should be good.

For PinEvent 2 tables, you'll nave to adjust its code where it creates a file System object to look for the existence of a File:

Code:
'####################### PINEVENT - CHECK FOR FILE #######################

' Version: 2.0
' April - 2022

' Add function to check for an external file

Dim fso: Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSy"&"stemObject")
Function FileExists(FilePath)   
    If not (fso is nothing) Then
        If fso.FileExists(FilePath) Then
            FileExists=CBool(1)
        Else
            FileExists=CBool(0)
        End If
    Else
        FileExists=CBool(0)
    End If
End Function

Legendary effort Madmrmax! Thanks for that!now I can comfortably delve into fizx for this table.

Legendary effort Madmrmax! Thanks for that!now I can comfortably delve into fizx for this table.
Awesome! Looking forward to your table release in the future!

@TerryRed - Would you be interested in making these small tweaks to your AiO template and PinEvent 2 tables?

I have a thought. When I get fizx implemented I might dabble and see if I can come up with a way of automating these two variables - eg check for the presence of a pup config file and if not present turn off pup, and similar for dof. I'd leave the lines discussed above commented so if my code doesn't work users could uncomment those to override it. Not sure which files I would check for yet, but as a concept I'm intrigued.

iCOM PLUG-IN

Make sure you have your iCOM security level is set correctly, or some things from the FizX AIO Example code (or PinEvent tables) won't work. Read about that here:

PinMechSound SECTION

If you still get errors when enabling DOF or PUP, that may be a result from you linking PinMechSound subs to your main script, and not updating the pinmechound commands to use the correct parameters for your table items, etc. Those PinMechSound subs are not required for the table to function (they are required if you want dof and SSF for those events), but if you do use them and link them to your main script for those events, then they MUST be updated correctly for your table, or you WILL get errors.

1716100008809.png

DOF

For DOF, there is no file to check for. The only thing that can be checked is for the existence of DOF being installed at all on the PC and being accessible (if DOF was set to be enabled). The AIO Example code already does this, and disables DOF normally if DOF does not exist.

1716100432808.png

PUP

The AIO Example code does a similar check for PUP. If its not installed or can't be accessed then it normally is disabled, and FP mechanical sounds are used instead.

However... if PUP is installed... and the Pup-Pack the table needs is not installed... then you will have PUP running, but it won't have loaded any sounds to use... so your mechanical SSF sounds won't play at all.

1716100602857.png

DMDExt

The DMDext code on the AIO Example code is something JLou wanted on there. I think that 98% of people who would use DMDext with FP will NOT use it that way as cabinet users already launch DMDext with a front-end. Everyone else who wants to use it with any table (and nothing else needed) can easily launch it with FP using my "Start FP - DMDExt" BAT files.

Myself, I would remove that portion completely (and the option to enable it in TABLE OPTIONS) if it's something you don't know how to support (or want to support) when used from table script. (I show that in the removal section in the AIO Example PDF Guide).

1716101084703.png

I would highly recommend everyone (who used the AIO Exmplae coe in their table) keep DOF and PUP SSF disabled by default on your tables, and mention in the download page description what features you support. You do NOT have to support either DOF or PUP or DMDext on your tables if you do not want to. You can add a note in the table script "DO NOT ENABLE - Not supported, may cause errors, etc". Those features are in there as options... they are not required for the code and FizX to work.

It goes without saying... anyone using the AIO Example Table's code... MUST follow the updated PDF Guide included with it step by step in order to make sure your are adding it properly, and as required. Don't skip steps. Follow my video if that helps... but ALWAYS follow the PDF, as its more up to date.

=================================================================

PinEvent code and the AIO Example code are NOT the same!!! Do NOT try to use PinEvent code in your tables!

Don't compare how they work. The FizX AIO code / table was created because JLou wanted the basic functions of dof, pup, ball rolling added... so I made a more basic and simpler version of the code I created for PinEvent and added ot to that table (as the other PinEvent stuff is WAY overkill for you guys).

On PinEvent, I do MANY checks for different things on startup. The existence of the PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt file (for global PinEvent settings for all PinEvent tables to use by default). If the file is not found (or the correct file), the table will use the settings within the table script. Then it does many checks for DOF / PUP and will enable / disable them as desired or if they don't exist on the PC. I do a check for the existence of the "required" PuP-Pack and it's version. (I check for a version.txt file in the pup-pack folder, and the contents of that file) If it's not the correct pup-pack, then pup features are disabled. If pup is enabled and pupstream is enabled, then I do check for the existence of the windows specified in the pupstream settings.... and many more things.

Just run a Pinevent table in Debugger mode (F9) and you'll see some of the checks I do.

PinEvent code is not something I will provide support for on other tables, as it's hard enough to get people to understand the much simpler AIO table let alone everything I manage on a PinEvent table. Hell, I have to reteach myself each time I add it to a table if it's been a while.

No one should need to modify a PinEvent table to get it to run correctly! The only exception is if your PC refuses to find the PinEvent_V2_Setting.txt and gives that error on table startup (not a FP / table problem.. it's your PC or security, etc). If you get that error, then disable PinEvent in TABLE OPTIONS if you don't need those features, or enable PinEvent Custom Settings in the table script to bypass the check for that file completely, and use the table's settings.

If having issues with PinEvent tables... consult the PinEvent Guide, and The FAQ and Help Guide I include with my FP and BAM Essentials AIO.

1716103544086.png

Last edited:
Thanks TerryRed for the detailed and informative post! I am always amazed by what you squeeze from FP. Especially as we approach its twentieth birthday.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, I'm sorry, but I cannot provide verbatim lyrics from the song "Excuse Me" by Amy Arena as it is copyrighted material. However, I can offer a summary or analysis of the song if you would like. Let me know if you would like me to provide some other type of information.
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    (AI prompt) words to Amy Arena's "Excuse Me"
    • Wow
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @xenonph, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt
    But I couldn't help but notice you from across the room
    Your beauty shines like a star in the night
    And I just had to come over and say hello

Excuse me, but I couldn't resist
    Your smile is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day
    I hope you don't mind me saying
    But I think you're absolutely stunning in every way

I know this may sound a bit forward
    But I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by
    I just had to tell you how I feel
    And hope that maybe you'll give me a chance to make you mine

Excuse me, if I'm being too bold
    But I can't help but be drawn to you
    Your presence is like a breath of fresh air
    And I just had to let you know how much I care

So please forgive me if I'm being too forward
    But I couldn't let this moment slip away
    I
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    ah ha
    • Wow
    Reactions: Free Bally!
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    just word it diff

erently and they break the copyright bot
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    as i suspected
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    (AI prompt) What would the lyrics be, if someone tried to make a parody of Amy Arena's song "Excuse Me"?
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Excuse me, can I cut in line?
    I really need my coffee, it's just a matter of time
    I know you've been waiting, but I'm in a rush
    Excuse me, can I cut in line?

Excuse me, can I take your seat?
    I see you're saving it for someone, but that someone is me
    I know it's not polite, but I really need to sit
    Excuse me, can I take your seat?

Excuse me, can I borrow your car?
    I promise I'll bring it back, I won't take it too far
    I know it's a big ask, but I really need a ride
    Excuse me, can I borrow your car?

Excuse me, can I have your fries?
    I know you ordered them, but I'm feeling kinda deprived
    I know it's not fair, but I really need a snack
    Excuse me, can I have your fries?
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Wow, you can ask for words vs. lyrics?
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    lol
    heh, neither of those lyrics are correct
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    lol
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    great faker bot
    first try at this...
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    Reactions: xenonph
    it worked!
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    Carry on gentlemen, I need to reboot.

:salut:
    Nice chatting!
    Have a fine ev'ning!
    good chattin', have to get the early show posted, see ya around the mulberry bush
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    Free Bally! has left the room.
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    rftckeeper has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: rftckeeper has left the room.
      Back