Williams SS Black Knight (Williams, 1980) Plunger Lane Kickout Issue, please help!

Solid State Machines

Bragg

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Black Knight
Hi Pinball Fans,

My 1980's BK was working perfectly, went to play it yesterday, and noticed a strange issue. It's intermittent, but I am able to reproduce it every time for a certain scenario.

When there are 2 out of play balls in the upper playfield lock lane, the plunger lane kickout solenoid goes off continuously. When zero or 1 balls in the upper lock, the game functions normally.

I have looked for any obvious leaf contacts that are stuck closed, or not making contact, and they appear to be correct.

Which switch is likely the culprit for this error to occur? How do I check it, and or fix it?

Any thoughts on this appreciated!

well B, ive been in VP for awhile.
i have had the same.
problems that come up like that are hard to diagnose.
if i could not fix it i would type a _1 after the table because you cant have 2 files in the same folder with the same name.
then get a new copy out of the zipped DL side by side then set it up again to the way you want.
if the new copy works ok then i would kick the old one to recycle.
it was easier to get a new copy instead of spending a lot of time trying to fix it.

well B, ive been in VP for awhile.
i have had the same.
problems that come up like that are hard to diagnose.
if i could not fix it i would type a _1 after the table because you cant have 2 files in the same folder with the same name.
then get a new copy out of the zipped DL side by side then set it up again to the way you want.
if the new copy works ok then i would kick the old one to recycle.
it was easier to get a new copy instead of spending a lot of time trying to fix it.
He is talking about a real Black Knight cabinet.
This post is in the Real Pinball - Maintenance & Repair topic.

it can be very difficult to diagnose something like that.
maybe someone in the forum might know.
if i could not fix it i would type a _1 after that copy then get a new copy out of the zipped side by side because
you cant have 2 files in the folder with the same name.
set it up the way you want again.
if the new copy plays ok then i would kick the old one to recycle.
it was easier to get a new copy than spend a lot of time on the forum and on my own trying to fix it.

so, whats goin' on with your IRL black night table so we can all learn from this?
i was kind of circeling the idea of getting a real table.

Last edited:
so, whats goin' on with your IRL black night table so we can all learn from this?
i was kind of circeling the idea of getting a real table.
It is a 40yo computer, it has 40 years of wear and tear, it was not designed to go for 40 years
While I do not know what the problem is, it is fixable

maybe if you could remove the table glass, disable the plunger lane kickout solonoid
then launch the ball manually at the top untill he gets a fix on it.
now the ball count may not work because the ball launch solonoid is disabled.
i dunno, just an idea untill he gets a fix on it.

so what's goin on with your 40yr old BK?
did you get the parts and get a fix on it?

and what about the other IRL PB owners in maintenance and repair.
some of those machines are EMs and way over 40yrs old.
were u able to get parts and get it going?

Last edited:
was up?? why are you being so uptight.
let us know how it went if you were able to fix that old machine.

was up?? why are you being so uptight.
let us know how it went if you were able to fix that old machine.
There are alot of Pinball Nirvana Members who do not sign into the site everyday.
There is no need to call them "uptight", just because they didn't answer your query from the day before.
Try being a little more patient for your answers, and I am sure when they do sign into the site, they will try to answer you in a diligent and timely manner.
Even if they do not answer your question, please refrain from casting stones at them, and calling them "uptight". There is absolutely no need for the name calling.

Patience grasshopper.

There are alot of Pinball Nirvana Members who do not sign into the site everyday.
There is no need to call them "uptight", just because they didn't answer your query from the day before.
Try being a little more patient for your answers, and I am sure when they do sign into the site, they will try to answer you in a diligent and timely manner.
Even if they do not answer your question, please refrain from casting stones at them, and calling them "uptight". There is absolutely no need for the name calling.

Patience grasshopper.
yeah, your right. i w8ed 24hrs.
sorry bout dat.
i guess i should give it some more time.
i would think after 24hrs would have been enough time.
oth, maybe IRL owners don't want to give up any info because corporates don't want
to supply parts and don't want you fixing anything.
when the warranty is gone you trash it.
the same with TVs or any other gadget you have.
when it breaks down you buy a new one.
i have a 2018 55' class name brand TV.
the picture is blinking a little.
looks like the backlighting strips, video-chip or something in the hardware is going away.
i tried finding parts for it online.
my searches keep directing me to a website where they want me to buy a new one.
my local TV repair said he can't fix it.
parts + labor will be too much.
a lot of TV repair in my area are gone.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back