Williams SS Black Knight (Williams, 1980) Speech Or Game Sounds But Not Both Issue

Solid State Machines

atarimatt

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Black Knight 2000
So my Black Knight will only play game sounds or speech but not both. If the dip switch is set for speech no game sounds but all speech is perfect and how it should be. With speech turned off game sounds work perfect but no speech at all. The weird thing is if I start a game with the speech turned off and then flip the dip switch to enable speech both work perfectly together but only for that one game. If I start another game there is speech but no game sounds...
Any ideas?

well, atari, you have only had 13 views.
nobody seems to have any suggestions for you.
try a search on google for vintage pinball arcade repair and restoration.
maybe the search will find something not to far.

Last edited:
well, atari, you have only had 13 views.
nobody seems to have any suggestions for you.
try a search on google for vintage pinball arcade repair and restoration.
maybe the search will find something not to far.
His topic has only been posted for a little over 12 hours.
Not everyone signs into the site every day at all hours of the day.
I am sure @pinballdaveh will see this post the next time he signs into the site, and will try to help him as soon as possible.

His topic has only been posted for a little over 12 hours.
Not everyone signs into the site every day at all hours of the day.
I am sure @pinballdaveh will see this post the next time he signs into the site, and will try to help him as soon as possible.
There is usually a mixer pot that combines speech and sound. I use 91% alcohol and a insulin needle to inject into the pot to clean it by twisting the wiper back and forth. Do this cleaning with board removed from machine and allow ample time to dry before re-installing.
Sometimes cleaning doesn’t help and the pot needs changing.

There is usually a mixer pot that combines speech and sound. I use 91% alcohol and a insulin needle to inject into the pot to clean it by twisting the wiper back and forth. Do this cleaning with board removed from machine and allow ample time to dry before re-installing.
Sometimes cleaning doesn’t help and the pot needs changing.
Hey, Dave, if I may ask--

How much should we trust our little "Radio Shack" setups in terms of this stuff, versus equipment that could cost... yikes!

Me, I like my gear, primarily because it WORKS!
But maybe there's issue with it?
(I just don't know)

How much should we trust our little "Radio Shack" setups in terms of this stuff, versus equipment that could cost... yikes!

(I just don't know)
what kind of gear or devices are you talking about?

(I just don't know)
If you want to clean any electrical contact, trim pots, edge connectors on a NES, Isopropyl alcohol works wonders
Even to clean out gummed up EM parts

If you want to clean any electrical contact, trim pots, edge connectors on a NES, Isopropyl alcohol works wonders
Even to clean out gummed up EM parts
negative on that.
not from what i have seen around here.
it has been watered down to 25-50%water... it is almost useless for cleaning electrical.
it might still be ok for cuts and scraps antiseptic.
it's very difficult to find 90%.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back