Cannot start a game in Strange Science

mjrtoo

Pinball Nudger
Site Supporters
Reaction score
I hit 3 to add coins and I hear the effect, but pressing 1 never starts a game. Any ideas?

Sometimes this happens with tables, but I don't think that there is a solution.

Of course there's a solution. Unzip this package to your PINMAME/NVRAM folder.

Attachments

• bally_6803_nvram.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 367
And while you're at it unZip this too. Same folder. GTS3 tables and Bally 6803 tables won't accept coins without these files.

With these files you will never face this problem again... with any table.

Attachments

• gts3_nvram.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 344
I also uploaded them to the downloads section... but being a stupid snake wrestler that I am... they of course went to wrong sections.

Made a request already to move them to VPM SUPPORT FILES. <sigh> WHY CAN'T I MOVE THESE FILES MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????? AND WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT THAT SOMEONE APPROVES MY REQUESTS!!!!!!!!!???????????

Ok that helped. :)

Um, because you're not an admin?

I mean if you'd like to be an admin, I'm sure you could ask Jon about it.

I can approve the change, but looking at the request, it seems the file is placed in the wrong directory because of that initial error and still will be, so I think it may be a situation where the file has to be manually moved again or something. It would be nice if the software did that automatically when the request to move it is in there. Really, for being 2006, I'm amazed at how primitive these download modules are in those respects or even some aspects of the internet.

I mean we had friggin' Z-Modem protocol that could do BATCH uploads in the flippin' early '90s (maybe even mid to late '80s?). BBS software back then was SIMPLE to handle such things. I could set my computer to batch upload a ton of files and it was taken care of. I could even dial up my friends house who had his computer on auto-answer with just telecom software installed (no BBS anything) and batch upload him a ton of files. So why the hell in 2006 do we have to upload tables one at a time to a message forum? I don't like having to sit in front of my computer uploading them like that. I should be able to select all the files, set their attributes and start the upload or even label them later. FTP can do it, but I don't see any other way to do it in this kind of software. What a pain in the butt, IMO.

I don't want to be an admin.

It just pi$$es me off that I always forget to put the files to right categories... I've done most of the uploading... for now... so no need to change anything anymore.... Thanks.

And while you're at it... please move those NVRAM files to VPM support files section.

This coin question is the most common question that newbies always ask at VPF...

"Oh why oh why these tables won't accept coins"... or "Where can I download the absolutely bestest, most gorgous freebie version of LOTR?" :)

Yeah and if they owned a real brand new Gottlieb System 3 game (or one that had its NVram wiped before sale) , they'd be wondering the same thing. Why won't this game accept my coins! Why won't it play? It's broke! That's what manuals are for (or in VP tables case, Table Info sections if authors would bother to include it and users would bother to read it).

I've accepted the proposed changes and they appear in the right place now and download OK, but I'm guessing the actual file is stored in the future pinball directory still gaging by the request info given. I'll leave that to Jon to address if he wants as I haven't set up FTP or anything yet.

Please don't speak about us newbies like we're not here.... reading these posts... HEH

:rabbit:

Come on... don't take it seriously.

PS: Welcome to the board. :)

I always forget that sarcasm doesn't transfer into text very well!

Actually, I think "batch" has gone the way of "command lines." People don't want that, they don't expect it, they don't understand it.

Not that I blame them, or blame the direction that pc's have gone. (I'm a BIG backer of Gates and Windows...such as it is. Of course, talk with me about his forays outside of Windows [IE] and his intentions to shut down anything and everything that stands in his way of owning EVERYTHING [OpenOffice], and that's another story, entirely.)

At any rate, pretty soon it's gonna come full circle, and Windows is going to have to find a way to "batch" stuff again, simply. (Meanwhile, if you're looking to do that with graphics, get Irfanview.)

I fixed the download file locations and let me explain a few things about the UpDownload module.

kristian can move download links if they are uploaded to the wrong category, there is no reason to wait for any approval, hit the icon next to the title of the d/l. The only fallback is when a file is placed into the proper category after being uploaded into the wrong one, the file does not move, it only adds it into the proper category and the link stays. This is ok, no big problem!

So why the hell in 2006 do we have to upload tables one at a time to a message forum? I don't like having to sit in front of my computer uploading them like that. I should be able to select all the files, set their attributes and start the upload or even label them later. FTP can do it, but I don't see any other way to do it in this kind of software. What a pain in the butt, IMO.

Batch uploading is certainly possible via ftp and you could add links to them but the files have to be eventually added to the database otherwise we would have something that looks like this:
http://pinballnirvana.com/JPH/
You can batch upload into the proper category and THEN add them into the database but it's not much easier, we used to have to manually upload every screenshot...

:wink:

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back