Help Solved DMD is not working with Arcade Mode

Runner

User
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack from Mars
Hey everyone,

Started working on my virtual pinball cabinet after at least 3 years without any work and I when I turn Arcade mode ON, the DMD stops working. The DMD box is there but nothing happens, no text, no animation.

If I turn it off Arcade mode the DMD works fine.

I haven't installed anything other than the latest BAM and Future pinball combo from Rav.

Any ideas?

To Arcade Mode, or not to Arcade Mode? ;)

Thanks in advanced.

Solution
FP's Arcade Mode (in FP video settings) is meant to only be enabled if you also have second screen / backbox enabled (in FP video settings). They are either both enabled or both disabled together. If you don't do this, then odd problems like the what you have with the DMD will occur.

If you only have one monitor (or you don't want the second screen backbox enabled for any reason), and you still want to to have the "arcade mode view", then you need to have Arcade Mode and Second Screen / Backbox disabled in FP Video Settings, then you run the table and open the BAM menu (~ or Q) and goto Addons and enable BAM's "Force Arcade Mode" to allow that view (without having the odd issues / DMD problem) and while using a single screen.

Keep in...
Hey everyone,

Started working on my virtual pinball cabinet after at least 3 years without any work and I when I turn Arcade mode ON, the DMD stops working. The DMD box is there but nothing happens, no text, no animation.

If I turn it off Arcade mode the DMD works fine.

I haven't installed anything other than the latest BAM and Future pinball combo from Rav.

Any ideas?

To Arcade Mode, or not to Arcade Mode? ;)

Thanks in advanced.
Hey Runner
Welcome back

@TerryRed likely can help
I am not a pincab owner but it is not clear to me what you mean .
What stuff do you have on your pincab ?
what hardware are you using for your DMD ?
are you using FutureDMD program ?
Is the a problem with all FP tables ?

Hey Gimli! Nice to see you!

At this point, nothing other than FP and BAM, with a TV, and analog plunger from zebsboards and my laptop running the show.

This issue is present with none of those connected and only using my laptop, and happens with all tables.

Here are two screenshots, the first is all the same settings and Arcade Mode OFF:

Pirates Of the Caribbean GOLD 1.18.png

And the second with Arcade Mode ON: It just stays blank, nothing ever comes on.

Pirates Of the Caribbean GOLD 1.182.png

Never seen this problem before, no idea what is causing this.

I've deleted the reality, bam and default cfg and still same thing.

FP's Arcade Mode (in FP video settings) is meant to only be enabled if you also have second screen / backbox enabled (in FP video settings). They are either both enabled or both disabled together. If you don't do this, then odd problems like the what you have with the DMD will occur.

If you only have one monitor (or you don't want the second screen backbox enabled for any reason), and you still want to to have the "arcade mode view", then you need to have Arcade Mode and Second Screen / Backbox disabled in FP Video Settings, then you run the table and open the BAM menu (~ or Q) and goto Addons and enable BAM's "Force Arcade Mode" to allow that view (without having the odd issues / DMD problem) and while using a single screen.

Keep in mind that the HUD DMD in the upper left corner is intended for desktop view (in landscape / non rotated), and not Arcade mode.... so it will always be stretched like that when trying to use this rotated camera view.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey Terry, nice to you too!

Awesome to know, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the arcade mode disabled the HUD DMD so I thought I was doing something wrong.

At first I thought it was caused by your config files I had used (which are awesome btw, thank you. I will put them back now that I know that wasn't the issue).

I will likely try a second monitor later tonight, I only have one spare 1080p monitor and my wife is using it for work.

Keep in mind that the HUD DMD in the upper left corner is intended for desktop view (in landscape / non rotated), and not Arcade mode.... so it will always be stretched like that when trying to use this rotated camera view.

That is something I have never known because I have only used 1 monitor. I updated Step 9 of my guide here:

So Im finally finishing my cabinet (software side)
and im doiing single screen portrate mode (270degrees) bottom of monitor is on the right
I hadnt really noticed this issue for some od reason. i remember elstreet and holloween both the dd was fine.
now adams faily its tall and narrow.
is there anyway to have a external dmd program display these tables?
without a bunch of script changes?

The HUD DMD was intended for desktop / landscape mode. That is why it looks all stretched in portrait mode.

The only real option is to try adding a DMD on the playfield somewhere (like the apron), and then naming it the same name as a DMD that is already being used by the table so that the script will use that DMD instead (you need to rename the current DMD first before renaming the new playfield DMD with the same name).

Terry is right. There is no way to fix HUD DMDs or HUD segmented displays on a screen rotated 270 degrees. They will always look squeezed together. However, it is possible to make HUD overlays work on a cabinet. Just follow my tutorial here:

All my recent table mods use this method to display the menu system (like on my version of Space Shuttle).

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back