Bally Doctor Who (Bally,1992)

Bene!! among other things apart from the ramps, which I am almost finishing, with a good result, if I can improve other things , I will do them .... here is an example.....

View attachment modello nave.mp4

@GeorgeH
I don't know if you already planned to insert the side rails inside the table, I have a very nice pair, if you want I will insert them myself

I don't know if you already planned to insert the side rails inside the table, I have a very nice pair, if you want I will insert them myself

Sure. Go ahead. The side rails are what NitroNimbus added on his version. I thought about upgrading them but couldn't find any art that has a higher resolution.

@GeorgeH is now aware that I cheat when adding side rails because I don't know how to do it.
I have the 3d models to work from but have no idea how to edit these to fit every table.
Is there a simple way to do this, cheers!

@GeorgeH @NitroNimbus

Please ... I want to clarify, when I said that I could insert the side rails, I had not realized that they were already inserted in the table, I am honest I apologize, but I was very busy and busy with the ramps ... so much so that I do not I realized until George told me (above), then I went to see, and I realized I made a mistake by telling George,because they were already inserted.

Nitro,do not say that you cheat, because your work is much appreciated, you improve the tables, so continue
as for the models, if you always talk about side rails, for each table they are modified, because the heights do not always match, if you are lucky then yes, but 85% must be modified.3d modeling is complicated, but I can explain something to you, I use milkshape, if you learn the mechanics, then it is easy for you to make some changes .... which is easier to build

George talks about graphics, and I have found a couple (different) that may be better in resolution ..... but in graphics they are no better than the ones you found and entered .... so... we are fine.

Last edited:
seeing whqt i can do for physics with no changes to the table.
managed to make the ramp in the video a couple times.
maybe a dynamic upper flipper would help.
im burned out messing with this today
mass 89.71
gravity 6288.0
damping .666 or 667

Last edited:
@Paolo
Thanks mate, I have tried to use milkshape but 3D modeling is very hard for me.
I will stick with my work around solution, it is quicker and much easier, cheers!

ok, there is something that in my opinion does not work well, I am referring to the trapdoor located in the ramp on the left, the code of "ian" always in my opinion, does not work well ..... this trapdoor is always open, it never closes .... I don't see in the code, a closing of this trap door in some "subroutine", therefore, I suppose that the code devised by "ian" opens and closes the trap door in real time through a false wall....... this false wall has the function of blocking the ball, and causing the ball to fall down from the trap door hole, but sometimes the false wall fails and lets the ball pass, when the trap door is open

just(IMO) because the system created by "ian" does not have a timer that delays the opening and closing event of the trapdoor, now I'm solving the model problem, but I need to know how this trapdoor works, as a rule.....if anyone knows this table, and how the trapdoor works, I invite him to give some suggestions, thanks

I found some rules here.

At ball start (press coin in and start keys but before you launch the ball), you use the flippers (right flipper increases the Doctor number, left flipper decreases the Doctor number) to choose Doctor's 1 through 7, then launch the ball. You can tell which Doctor is active by the light that is lit at the bottom of the backboard.

The trap door diverts the ball to the left main flipper when Doctor's 3 or 6 are selected.

Doctor 3

- Shoot each letter in W-H-O. "W" is shot on the right ramp. "H" is lit at the Hang-On target (above upper flipper). "O" is the Loop Ramp. Completing W-H-O returns the ball to the left flipper.

Doctor 6

- If the last loop made lights a Sonic Boom Round (i.e., 9, 19, etc.), then the ball is fed back to the upper flipper, regardless of whether the loop completed a W-H-O or not.

-If the Sonic Boom Round is shot -immediately- after it is lit (the shot for 1O, 2O loops etc. is made right after the previous loop shot), then the ball is fed to the lower flipper to shoot W-H-O for Sonic Booms (each worth 1OM). If the shot is not made immediately (i.e., you miss then shoot it later) then it follows the normal rules.

-When the Loop Ramp is shot during the Sonic Boom Round, it awards a Boom, immediately ends the Boom Round, and returns the ball to the upper flipper.

(note: this means that it's best to avoid shooting the Loop Ramp during a Boom Round until the W and H shots have been scored... so if the ball is sent to the upper flipper, it's a good idea to just let it fall.)

-Besides that, the Loop Ramp returns the ball to the bottom when it completes a W-H-O, and otherwise to the upper flipper for another ramp.

Note: for "Sonic Boom Round" search the script for SonicBoomRound.

Oh My goodness!!!
for the truth, I just need to know trapdoor, where it closes,I don't want to know the rules of the whole table.I don't know the table, let alone the rules.

The trap door diverts the ball to the left main flipper when Doctor's 3 or 6 are selected.
Ok....but if you have clear where to put the "CloseTrapDoor ()" just tell me ....Doctor 3 it seems easy to understand, but Doctor 6 for me not!!!
the variable "Sonic Boom Round" that you mention,is in different "subs" and it is practically impossible for me to understand, in which there could be a closure of the trapdoor.

I think I simplified the rules:

Doctor 3

Shoot each letter in W-H-O. "W" is shot on the right ramp. "H" is lit at the Hang-On target (above upper flipper). "O" is the Loop Ramp. Completing W-H-O sends the ball to the left main flipper.

Doctor 6

On hitting the ramp 10 times (or multiples of 10), a very loud sound plays to indicate the start of the Sonic Boom Round and the diverter feeds the ball to the left main flipper. The ball returns to the upper flipper at the end of the Sonic Boom Round.

Also when you complete spelling out W-H-O (same as Doctor 3), the ball is sent to the left main flipper.

Do you guys need this?

Attachments

• Rule Sheet_ Dr. Who.pdf
    174.1 KB · Views: 47
Paolo,

Thank you for working on this table. The side blades look really nice!

I am not sure what is wrong but the trap door still does not send the ball to the left main flipper when Doctor's 3 or 6 are selected. Do you know what is wrong?

The ramps work well but the ball hits the absurd ramp at the start of multiball. Multiball starts when you lock 2 balls into the "Time Expander" (the box in the back). Then you hit the 5 targets on the front of the "Time Expander" after it rises. Then you hit one of the doors on the front of the "Time Expander" after it rises again to start multiball. The ball from the right slot of the "Time Expander" hits the absurd ramp when it is not supposed to. I could move the ramp back but that might mess up the performance of the ramp. A possibility might be to reduce the size of the "Time Expander" or move it to the left a bit. What do you think?

George

Image1.jpg

Thank you for working on this table.
it was a pleasure, among pinball mates, this and even more.

The side blades look really nice!
sounds good!
I am not sure what is wrong but the trap door still does not send the ball to the left main flipper when Doctor's 3 or 6 are selected. Do you know what is wrong?
I explained it to you in pm, maybe you didn't understand it? I ask you?

It doesn't work because I haven't entered the closure yet......this "sub" CloseTrapDoor() in Doctor's 3 or 6.....I told you in pm, that I have to study well, where I have to insert this sub, that commands the closure of the trapdoor.
This forgetfulness error I define it (it's a beta by Ian) is an error already present in the original version of "Ian".but there is no problem George, I need some time, I can solve it before the release of this your version. (which I also told you in pm)

Edit:
does my trapdoor work?, I mean, you see the more the ball goes beyond the open trapdoor

The ball from the right slot of the "Time Expander" hits the absurd ramp when it is not supposed to.
Yes....I made a mistake, or rather two, I hadn't taken this into consideration, just because I didn't test the table, i.e. play at the table, I concentrated on the ramps, in cheat test mode

Cattura88888.JPG

I only worked on layer 5-6,and I have not checked the lights, in fact the ramp covers the light TELight15.
I could move the ramp back but that might mess up the performance of the ramp
yes..... you have to do other things ..... don't worry I solve it myself, as far as the "RightLockKicker" kicker is concerned, if I pull back the ramp, it resolves automatically,always if there was also this in beta version,but I can't know, because I haven't played,but maybe... you know it?

that's why I understand now, this strange shape of the original ramp
Cattura77777.JPG

PS: I urge you to tell me if it is clear to you what I write in english, if there is anything you do not understand (my horrible english) please tell me....... so as to fix and learn

Last edited:
@GeorgeH

Ok,Trapdoor in doctor 3,done!!!!! not yet, in doctor 6,I will try to do it soon. see video

View attachment botola.mp4

I remodeled the ramp (I dream of this ramp even at night:bigdance:).....joke!!
I made it shorter, and working on it a bit,with an excellent result I didn't break its fluidity of climb it works well, now the multiball ball does not hit the ramp.
see video.

View attachment rampa.mp4

Wow! I am impressed. The table is looking good.

Looks like all there is left is to hit the ramp 10 times on Doctor 6 and for the ramp to close then as well. It looks like the DMD already has a count to 10 so it looks like all that is needed is to close the trap door and open when the ball passes.

ok, a 2 questions to start with, please answer me,because I have to understand a situation, which I show you in the videos
1) you are sure, that the trapdoor opens only in doctor 3/6?
2) the sonic boom mode, what you win 10.000.000, is it by chance split in two ways?
I mean when I win this 10.000.000 in first 10 ramps, can you get something else too? like an extraball? or what? in the rules there is some condition that in this mode you can also win something else?

Watch the two videos, because in one of the two there is an error,but maybe, just maybe it can also depend on two sonic boom modes
not knowing the table. I cannot know...I should try to understand better what happens

Now,when I activate the sonic boom mode, first 10 ramps, I win 10,000,000, and open the trapdoor, but only once, then to open the trapdoor again I have to do another 10 ramps, ie the sonic boom mode ends after you win the 10,000,000,appears to be reset
see in the VPX version

View attachment VPinballX 2021-09-16 19-05-22-41.mp4

Instead in the current FP version, the sonic boom mode seems to continue,not reset after 10 ramps,and consequently I close the trapdoor every time
see in the PF version video
View attachment Future Pinball 2021-09-16 19-18-34-25.mp4

According to the rules, the trap door is only used for Doctors 3 and 6. You might try the VPX table with the other doctors and try hitting the absurd ramp 10 times and then spell W-H-O and see what happens.

The sonic boom is awarded when you complete 10 loops of the absurd ramp and then spell W-H-O. That is why the trap door sends the ball to the bottom left flipper so you are set up to hit the "W". I think the VPX version is right.

According to the rules, the trap door is only used for Doctors 3 and 6.
ok.
You might try the VPX table with the other doctors
I have no idea what the other doctors would be, and I honestly think it's a long job to see.you could do it.
and try hitting the absurd ramp 10 times and then spell W-H-O and see what happens.
already done, but that's not what I asked for.
The sonic boom is awarded when you complete 10 loops of the absurd ramp and then spell W-H-O. That is why the trap door sends the ball to the bottom left flipper so you are set up to hit the "W". I think the VPX version is right.
yes I understood and I know, that the sonic boom is activated after 10 ramps,forget it spell W-H-O for now,that work well about the trapdoor,already tried as I told you above ..... but here in fp "sonic boom mode" there is a bug now,if you confirm from my videos that the vpx version is correct.

a question for you? but do you understand the difference in videos, about the trapdoor?

a question for you? but do you understand the difference in videos, about the trapdoor?

There is a bug on the FP version. After completing 10 hits (or multiples of 10) of the absurd ramp, you need to start spelling W-H-O quickly otherwise the chance to complete the sonic boom mode ends and you have to start hitting the absurd ramp with another 10 hits all over again.

you need to start spelling W-H-O quickly otherwise the chance to complete the sonic boom mode ends
but for now forget this start spelling W-H-O quickly , I want to know, after 10 ramps the sonic boom resets, yes or no? because in vpx is yes ... after 10 ramps this mode is reset ..... regardless if you turn on w.h.o spelling at that moment or not, understand? and here I need to know how to fix and insert the trapdoor.

without spelling W-H-O quickly in vpx if you do 11 ramps, the eleventh ramp is not sonic boom, because it resets ... in fp continues 11 25 39 155 ramps continuously

Edit:
in FP...the count of the ramps (sonic boom mode) instead ends just after 10 ramps, so from the eleventh onwards if I turn on w.h.o. spelling.
excuse the question did you play in this sonic boom mode in fp?

Last edited:
but for now forget this start spelling W-H-O quickly , I want to know, after 10 ramps the sonic boom resets, yes or no? because in vpx is yes ... after 10 ramps this mode is reset ..... regardless if you turn on w.h.o spelling at that moment or not, understand? and here I need to know how to fix and insert the trapdoor.

without spelling W-H-O quickly in vpx if you do 11 ramps, the eleventh ramp is not sonic boom, because it resets ... in fp continues 11 25 39 155 ramps continuously

Edit:
in FP...the count of the ramps (sonic boom mode) instead ends just after 10 ramps, so from the eleventh onwards if I turn on w.h.o. spelling.
excuse the question did you play in this sonic boom mode in fp?
OK. If you hit the ramp 10 times in FP and then hit the ramp again immediately, the 11th hit should start counting 10 hits all over again.

OK. If you hit the ramp 10 times in FP and then hit the ramp again immediately, the 11th hit should start counting 10 hits all over again.
no unfortunately, ok, I solved the trapdoor problem in doctor 6, to make you understand(for me is sonic boom) ..... but in this one after the 10 ramps, strange things happen, I make a video

I state that I have to check in vpx.

SB= sonic boom

I use a cheat key, to take the ramp. you see the video
after 7 ramps, you activate the million,and keep winning it.then get to 10 and activate the SB.the ramp count continues (in millions loops), probably stops if you lose the ball.

so at each ramp you have the SB active, you also hear it from this sound "dw loop dalek squeak" but is in a very long code,this "sub DMDTimer_Expired()"

first strange thing that I do not explain, because I see the first SB (I do it with the ball, not with keys), "high 20 loops"
Cattura1.JPG

then I continue with the key, and I always see 20 .... then so strangely 21,see always the video at 1:09.up to 23......I hope it is clear up to here.

then,I cancel the SB, see the Sonic Boom Over animation,hitting one of the W.H.O. in this case the H

I resume hitting the ramp via keys, millions loops up to 30, SB activation again, and closing trapdoors all regular,up to 34 loops, I delete the SB, with W this time, I take the ramp via keys, second strange thing I see.....you see video at 1:59,what is?
again at 2:03,then I win an extraball (maybe it's normal) continuous loops, up to 40, active SB, trapdoor closure, all regular.

Ok,@GeorgeH keep watching the video until loops 55, and you will see a surprise

View attachment who5.mp4

PS: all this is with the first ball in play, as you can see I do not lose the ball, but I doubt that a player will manage to do all these loops with a single ball, playing normally, but the surprise must be solved maybe with
xBAM.FixScore ?

:cheers: and good night,Paolo!

Last edited:
no unfortunately, ok, I solved the trapdoor problem in doctor 6, to make you understand(for me is sonic boom) ..... but in this one after the 10 ramps, strange things happen, I make a video

I was just saying what is in the rules. This is what the rules say, "When the Loop Ramp is shot during the Sonic Boom Round, it awards a Boom, immediately ends the Boom Round, and returns the ball to the upper flipper."

So in other words, if you shoot 11 hits of the ramp, the Sonic Boom round ends and you have to hit the ramp another 9 times times to start the Sonic Boom round again according to the rules.

Ok,@GeorgeH keep watching the video until loops 55, and you will see a surprise
The rules do say that the bonus multiplier increases each time you hit the ramp up to a maximum of 4x so at least that part of it appears to work correctly.

The DMD that displays 80,000,000 appears to be a bug.

I see you get overflow. I agree we need to add the xBAM.FixScore code.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back