Bally Solved Eight Ball Deluxe Limited Edition (Bally, 1982) Flickering Displays

nwkadm

Pinball Wizard
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
EBD
I have re-soldered all headers pins, checked connectors, etc...What I am seeing is that the flickering starts with the 6 Lamp board (Credits and Ball in Play) after it warms up (5-10 minutes of play) and then goes to the 3rd player and 4th player modules. On the Credit and Balls in Play board, I see resisters R1, R3, R5 & R7, R9, R11 (100k) along with C2 that looked as if they have gotten hot (dark spot down the middle of them) and also C2 has the same look.
I also see that R23 on the Player 4 - 7 lamp module has been replace and is sitting above the board (larger resister and does not lie flat to board).

Should I replace all of these resisters (100k and 1.5k) and C2 (.05MFD 500v)? If so, should I replace the 100k with a larger value?
While I'm on the subject, Q22 appears to have been removed (still see leads in the holes) from Player1, Player2, Player3, and Player4 (7 lamp modules) boards - why???

Thanks again,
Joe S.

Solution
It seems as if the issue is resolved:

It appears as if I have corrected the issue. Another person suggested that I look at the high voltage regulator and C26 - I resoldered the leads on this capacitor and also (from another post) the IC on the digit display - pin 13...... I no longer have flickering display - thanks all!

I still have high voltage on TP2 though - ideas??????
the high voltage regulator section needs to be checked. the input filter cap C26 is first suspect. a cracked solder connection or defective cap will allow AC ripple to travel thru the circuit causing problems. TP2 should be 190VDC , what is your reading? can the voltage be adjusted with the adjustment pot? the transistors that are clipped out might be for the commas on the displays. i never replace parts with a different value unless there is a tech update for the circuit correction.

Last edited:
the high voltage regulator section needs to be checked. the input filter cap C26 is first suspect. a cracked solder connection or defective cap will allow AC ripple to travel thru the circuit causing problems. TP2 should be 190VDC , what is your reading? can the voltage be adjusted with the adjustment pot? the transistors that are clipped out might be for the commas on the displays. i never replace parts with a different value unless there is a tech update for for circuit correction.

I have measured the voltage from TP1 and TP2 to Grnd. and it varies between 230-240 volts. I cannot adjust with the Pot - I tried going left and right with no effect on voltage.

Ideas???

It seems as if the issue is resolved:

It appears as if I have corrected the issue. Another person suggested that I look at the high voltage regulator and C26 - I resoldered the leads on this capacitor and also (from another post) the IC on the digit display - pin 13...... I no longer have flickering display - thanks all!

I still have high voltage on TP2 though - ideas??????

Solution
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Heard a different Aaron Neville song earlier, saw him in New Orleans...
      Reactions: xenonph
      Back