Bally Eight Ball Deluxe Limited Edition (Bally, 1982) Random Switches Fire

nwkadm

Pinball Wizard
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
EBD
Question - I have an Eight Ball Deluxe LE and every so often, I have random switches that fire. This happens during 2 events - either the flippers and used or the bottom thumper bumper gets activated. When it is the fliipers that cause the issue, it makes the bottom thumper bumper activate and when it is the bottom thumper bumper, it will drop the 8-ball target (only when it is telling you to "get the eight ball" ((the other 7 horseshoe targets are down)).

My question is - is it the flipper switches or the thumper bumper switch that is causing the issues????

Also - I have tried the 1/16" adjustment on switches and it does not seem to work - the gap seems to vary depending on whether it is a drop target, thumper bumper, or sling shot, etc...Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

It is not the flipper switches

have you tested all the other switches and they are working right?

if you hit the playfield with your hand, do the switches work?

It is not the flipper switches

have you tested all the other switches and they are working right?

if you hit the playfield with your hand, do the switches work?

All the other switches work - the switch test reports no bad switches.

I have not tried to hot the playfield to see if the switches fire.

you may find that you need to clean,replace, resolder all the molex pins and plugs in the backbox

the game is 35+ yo
it is dirty

you may find that you need to clean,replace, resolder all the molex pins and plugs in the backbox

the game is 35+ yo
it is dirty

Are you talking about all the connectors for the MPU, Squak/Talk board etc.....That is a lot of connectors - any particular ones or board to focus on?

i dont know if i asked before , does this era of bally have the disc caps on the playfield switches? when they go bad strange switch closures happen. cutting them out may stop the problem , but new caps should be installed for correct operation. if switch matrix is ruled out as the problem , the data lines from mpu to driver board need to be checked. and lastly is the game program proms on mpu board. check if an updated version is availible.

i dont know if i asked before , does this era of bally have the disc caps on the playfield switches? when they go bad strange switch closures happen. cutting them out may stop the problem , but new caps should be installed for correct operation. if switch matrix is ruled out as the problem , the data lines from mpu to driver board need to be checked. and lastly is the game program proms on mpu board. check if an updated version is availible.

Dave - it does not have the disc caps but has the round glass type. When you mention the "switch matrix" ruled out, I do not know how or where to start troubleshooting this. I also do not know what you mean when you say to check the "data lines from the mpu to the driver board" - is there a link to an article somewhere that would help explain?

Also - where to look for updated proms for mpu?

Thanks much

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      xenonph @ xenonph: @oilpainter27 find here...
      Back