FP Editor side-to-side scrolling -- Custom Auto Hot Key script for mouse wheel left/right

madmrmax

Weeeeeee
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones (Williams)
I consider this a FP "Resource", but I'll add it here for now.

Question
Do you use your mouse wheel in FP and love that you can scroll up and down, but wish there was a way to scroll left and right? Have I got a AutoHotKey script for you.

First off - what is AutoHotKey (or AHK) --
At the simplest, AutoHotKey is an awesome way to script things that happen when a key stroke or input happens. At the most complex, it is a way to create scriptlets and apps. https://www.autohotkey.com/

How to "install"
This script I've created is fully available below. All you have to do is use AutoHotKey to "run" it. After installing AutoHotKey, copy the script and create a text file with the extension AHK and paste the script into it. After saving it, right click on the file and chose "Run". AutoHotKey will run the script and it will remain running (shows up in the sys tray in Windows)

How to "use"
With this script, you will be able to perform side to side scrolling of FP editor by either
  1. A laptop with touch pad, or
  2. A mouse that has a scroll wheel that can go side to side, or
  3. Using shift key + mouse wheel up or down.

Code is below. This can easily be applied to VisualPinball as well, just need to copy a version of the script and update the active window name as appropriate.

Code:
#If WinActive("ahk_exe Future Pinball.EXE")   ; this only happens when the active app is FP. Update this to also apply to VisualPinball if you want.
WheelLeft::  ; mouse wheel tilt  left
Shift & WheelUp:: ; mouse wheel up and shift key held down
    ControlGetFocus, fcontrol, A   ; gets the active control that has focus
    Loop 1  ; <-- Increase this value to scroll faster.
        SendMessage, 0x114, 0, 0, %fcontrol%, A  ; 0x114 is WM_HSCROLL and the 0 after it is SB_LINELEFT.
    return
WheelRight::   ; mouse wheel tilt right
Shift & WheelDown::  ; mouse wheel down and shift key held down
    ControlGetFocus, fcontrol, A  ; gets the active control that has focus
    Loop 1  ; <-- Increase this value to scroll faster.
        SendMessage, 0x114, 1, 0, %fcontrol%, A  ; 0x114 is WM_HSCROLL and the 1 after it is SB_LINERIGHT.
    return

For making this apply to both VP and FP, update the first line in the script to:
Code:
#If WinActive("ahk_exe Future Pinball.EXE") or WinActive("ahk_exe VPinballX.exe")   ; this only happens either FP or VP is active

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back