Williams Funhouse (Williams, 1990) "display" problem on B/glass

vatche

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just bought Funhouse a month ago and recently had a problem
the display on the back glass is screwing up.
the display is now a bunch of unrecognizable letters and numbers.
I can't tell what the score is or anything else.
Anybody know what problem this is caused by ?
thanks in advance for any help

Sounds like a bad ribbon cable on the display. I would try reseating the cable on both ends and see if the problem is resolved. If it works for a short time and then acts up again, I would replace the cable. Ribbon cables have a tendency to get flakey from time to time.

Last edited:
If the display is still bright and strong its probably just the cable. (Though, it could be the controller too.)

If the display also starts to get darker and weaker it might be 'gassing out'. In that case you will need to get a new one.

yes the display is still bright, and sometimes it works normally for a while then reverts to the screwed up letters and numbers.

Thanks for your help much appreciated
I am a newbie at this so I will call a technician to check it it out.

...sometimes it works normally for a while then reverts to the screwed up letters and numbers.
This can have two causes too. Either the cable or a bad solder joint on the board. (Still the cable is most likely to be it in this case.)

If you dont know anything about electronics (or Pinball electronics anyway) its probably really best to let a trained technician have a look. Better than possibly screwing up even more in the process. Tip: While he is at it tell him to look for any acid damage from a leaking battery. (Corrodes the solder joints, chip-pins and traces.) If the battery is still mounted on the board have him remove it and relocate it to a batteryholder on the sidewall of the backbox. ($0.50) This is a wise precaution everyone usually takes so acid damage will never become an issue in the 1st place. Reparing a board damaged by acid can be really expensive up to the point where you would need a replacement board.

Good Luck,...hope everything will soon be alright!

my machine just crapped out on me. I turned it on then it shut off completely.
Do you think this is relation to me first problem or just bad luck

Not likely related to the first problem. Define completely shut down. Any GI lighting, sound from speakers when you flip the switch. Bad wall outlet or circuit breaker in the house?

when I turn it on the speakers make a noise and that's it. Completely black everywhere else, no lights no sound. When I opened up the back glass there were some small red lights lit and that's it.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back