Stern Galaxy (Stern, 1980) tilt switch problem

Nics galaxy

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Stern galaxy
Help, my galaxy is convinced it's constantly being tilted, I've done the self test which tells me switch 7 that controls the tilt is the problem, that doesn't really help an ignoramus like me. I've checked the plumb and ball and they aren't connecting, so what do I do next? It's probably obvious except to me!

There can be other switches in the tilt circuit. There is a "Slam" switch on coin doors. Look for switches with a large weight on the longest leaf. Also look for one in the belly of your cabinet.

also check for a slam switch on the underside of the playfield.

many pins had all three switches built into them
the top one here is to prevent the player from
tilting the pin front or backwards
the plum bob is to stop people from tipping the pin side to side
and that slam tilt is to stop players from actually slamming their body into the
coin door or sides of the cab it may either tilt the pin or make a noise
(alarm, buzzer, etc.)
any or all of these may have either a short or be making constant contact
check these to ensure they aren't shorting!
making your pin constantly rack up tilts!

Attachments

• tiltpanel.jpg
    tiltpanel.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 271
Hi, thanks so far but no joy. Ok I've checked these and they look ok to me, the slam switch is on a separate circuit...

Next, I think I would unplug the connector for the tilt circuit. Then run the switch test to get some idea where the problem lies.

with the machine in switch test mode, remove connector from J3 (lower right connector on mpu board) and see if the tilt code goes away. if it does go away cabinet wiring is shorted somewhere. if it doesnt there are mpu board issues. one common issue is if the mpu board ever had any battery acid corrosion problems that might have worked its way over to the J3 male pin connector, getting under the connector and causing shorts or problems. then the J3 male pin connector must be desoldered, corrosion removed, and new connector soldered in. U10 is a PIA 6821 chip that controls switch logic also might be bad . its a 40 pin socketed chip that can be replaced easily. if you still have problems alltek makes a good replacement mpu board for bally or stern games availible from pinball resource.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      xenonph @ xenonph: @oilpainter27 find here...
      Back