Give Me An Approved Topic List

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Some folks who I consider cyber-friends seem to get upset whenever I mention my opinions about vpf. They feel that I’m attacking either the forum or AJ, although that isn’t my intention in the least. Just as people make suggestions here, that is basically what I used to do at vpf. The difference is that here Jon and I at least read the suggestions and give them some consideration. And when we can, we make changes based on the ideas of others. At vpf, while staffers might read my suggestions, they have no ability to do anything about them beyond commenting.

So recently, rather than voicing my opinions about vpf, I began a discussion about possible candidates for vpf Admin, since the only remaining Admin, to my knowledge, would like to step down. My discussion, I had hoped, would accomplish several things. It would focus on the qualities needed to be an Admin, and highlight persons who might make a good vpf staffer. Instead, some people became defensive, as if I were again attacking vpf and AJ. Everything was taken out of context and twisted around. With few exceptions, no one offered any candidates for vpf Admin.

So my question is this; if I’m not supposed to discuss vpf, and I’m not supposed to discuss Future Pinball, would any of my detractors care to provide me with a “safe” topic I can discuss? Discussions and friendly debates have become a part of PN, so what is the problem? Some folks feel that I take potshots at vpf because we’re the smallest VP forum, while others seemingly feel that there isn’t anything at all that needs changing at vpf. Now the so called potshots are merely my opinion that vpf needs to apply its rules fairly and evenly for every one of its members. And the main reason I begin discussions is to build interest in PN and to have some worthwhile and civil debates.

So if those people who object to me discussing vpf will suggest a list of “safe” topics, I’m more than willing to ignore vpf, since I rarely post there as of late, and read only about a third of the threads there. I’m as passionate about VP and pinball as anyone else, but for the peace of the VP community I’m willing to limit my topics, so will someone give me a list of approved discussion starters so I don’t keep upsetting everyone.

John

AAaaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As rare as I post here, I made a long post on things happening here and elsewhere ( many translation problems by that ), made sure I'm logged in before, and after try to post, system tells me I'm not logged in. Post is deleted by that. I don't write again !

But one thing I want to post anyway is:

Keep cool. It's only pinball. Our hobby. Not life. You all have too much time ( from different reasons nobody sentences ) to care about things not worth to talk about.

I now got a neck !!!

cats
needle point
yohgurt
testicle cancer

To me you seemed to be always trying to fix VPF, when I didn't feel that it is broken
or, to be more open with you, that you were trying to find a topic to stir peoples reactions

I don’t think that there is an interesting topic you can write about

One thing I do believe is that it is best not to start a thread talking about on particular member, I think most of these types of threads never work the way you intended.

I am starting to see what you have been trying to say though
The VP community has been beaten and ground up to be a colorless inoffensive paste.
Stick your head up, and watch it get crushed.

For example, the (x)(x)Breasts(x)(x) thread which I posted last week, 35 views, one reply.
When I first posted that thread, on my other favorite forum, 250 replies, 5000 views.
Either everyone here is gay, or boobies have lost their appeal.

Have a look at VPF, the most popular threads are, table releases of favorite machines (but the replies are brief), whining about VPF. Even the out lane is filled with inoffensive clap-trap

It's a shame you weren't around 4 years ago when I first found VP, it and vpf were a lot different, and a lot better. Posts were much less negative, and most of those posts were about pinball. Actually the most popular forum there is The Outlanes, and 95% of those posts are crap, not having a thing to do with pinball or humor. Why people log on to a pinball forum and then discuss other games is beyond me.

That is pretty much what disheartens me about vpf, and one of the reasons I've been voicing my displeasure with vpf, because I know what it once was, and it is sad to see it become something else entirely. Rather than seeing posts discussing new realeases, both VP and VPM, we see posts asking for ceratin tables to be made, or complaining that the existing versions aren't good enough. And now everyone seems to be debating the merits of FP, which hasn't been released, so there's nothing to discuss.

Maybe the average player has become spoiled and jaded, or maybe most of the newbies are youngsters who were never taught manners. Rather than complain about the quality of tables, why don't they start making tables themselves, and then they might better appreciate the efforts that every author makes.

The character and feel of vpf has eroded quite a bit since I started in VP, and I don't see it getting any better. Maybe I am a Grummpy Old Man, but as for as the VP community and vpf are concsrned, I think it's obvious why.

John

I don't understand what should be wrong with "The OutLane".

I like to read there ( only what might be intersting for me ), but it's my choice to read. If I'm not interested in other things like pinball, I don't need to look in "The OutLane" forum.

See "The OutLane" as a forum of pinball interested people, who are interested in more than only pinball and like to talk about other things too. People like me don't like to search for a special forum for some hints in this and that or for asking for this and that and so on. The interest in little things don't go as far. And why not ask at a place you're known and where you consider there are nice people who answer ? There is no other place I like to post things like that. If you want me not to do that I probably wouldn't post in pinball related forums there anymore too.

How do you call "The Plunger" with "tiltjlp spouts off!", "The Back Fence", "The Soap Box" here at PN ? I didn't read there much, but what's the difference to "The OutLane" ? And as more people are in there as more the themes change.

Me starting making a table ? Forget it, I'm a newby. I would like to do, but there are too many things I will never understand, even if time is no problem. I can't give forums tables !

If you don't want to see people like me in pinball forums anymore, you need to open private pinball forum with selected people or ban them.

I don't see any problem !

Well said Yogi. I also enjoy the read from all areas of VPF, PN and others. If it interests me then I read it - if not it's ignored. I like to spend my lunchtime (where possible) reading odds and ends from contributers that I consider friendly (and some not so friendly!). But on the whole, its more than just pinball and that is what's reflected in the forums 'whatever' they are named.

Some good and valid points Yogi and Elton. I wasn't condeming vpf because of The Outlanes, simply saying that the majority of those posts don't interest me, and that less and less of vpf has much appleal to me. I don't do any games other than pinball, and I don't know much about computers, and those two topics make up most of The Outlanes. Now when a thread in The Outlanes does interest me, I do read it, and might even post something there.

And yes, the Plunger here has similar posts, meaning non-pinball subjects, but maybe since PN reflecs my personality at some degree, I enjoy them more than the stuff at vpf. Most of our non- pinball stuff is humor, which isn't the case there. No matter what I think, vpf will continue on as it has. And I'll post less and less often there, so at least I won't be upsetting anyone there with opinions that don't gloify the wonderful vpf.

John

I wasn't glorifying VPF - neither am I condeming it. It's not perfect but folk continually bashing it is tiresome to say the least.

In that respect I fully support Leo's POV that he has expressed on many occasions - if folk don't like vpf then simply stay away. It's not that difficult.

Anyway, enough said - I have to go.

elton said:
I wasn't glorifying VPF - neither am I condeming it. It's not perfect but folk continually bashing it is tiresome to say the least.

In that respect I fully support Leo's POV that he has expressed on many occasions - if folk don't like vpf then simply stay away. It's not that difficult.

Anyway, enough said - I have to go.

Well, I'm not exactly staying away. But since the average poster seems content with the way vpf is headed, my opinons don't seem welcome. That's why I seldom post there. I'll keep a low profile and wait until others possibly start voicing unhappiness with things. I'm not anti-vpf, I simply know it can be better, since it used to be a lot better than it is now.

John

Yes - possibly true. But so can everything else - it's all relative and dependent upon an individual's perspective of 'better'. It's a very subjective (almost to the point of being an emotional) issue.

But at the end of the day, it is, what it is! If ya don't care for it don't go there. And on that happy note, I'm off.

hmm...maybe I should go check the new posts at vpforums!!! heh

The past 3 or 4 days VPF has been anything but boring. Let's only hope that Dave Foley really is going to be as good a presense for VP is it seems he will be.

John

When his cabinet is done, the licensing and royalty deals are finsihed, I'd expect him to disappear until a new emulator pops up that he doesn't own.

Parasites are rarely good for their hosts. :evil:

Sounds a lot like Randy in a way. Does my heart good to see such a young cynic. You always seemed a bit too mellowed out to be for real. Welcome to Realityville Brian.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: GeorgeH has posted a new reply in the thread "Sounds library".
      Back