Hockey 2006

Isaac Sauvage

Meep!
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Jurassic Park
(holy crap, this site actually remembered its cookie this time)

hey kristian, how are things going in the world of hockey? i noticed my hometown philadelphia flyers are doing well this year but seem to have had their asses bailed out by two finnish guys, niittymaki the goalie and kapanen the winger.

is there a world cup for hockey and if so, how does finland do? who's the best team in history- the russians, i'm guessing?

You don't mean ice hockey, but hockey?

Best teams were from India and Pakistan.

For more info you need have a look at Wikipedia. Too bad the sites in different languages are different. Not only translated.

yogi, WTF are you talking about? hockey means ice hockey unless you are talking about street hockey (rollerblades) which is basically an amateur sport.

there's no way india and pakistan have the traditional best teams- it would be more like russia, canada, US, sweden, finland, etc...

but maybe you could give a link to what you're talking about to clear up some confusion...

Yogi is talking about field hockey. That's dull as dishwater.... and ALMOST as boring as cricket. But it probably suits the slippers pipe and cardigan oldtimers....take another mint imperial, get the big glasses on, watch some field hockey and go read the paper....then take your afternoon snooze.....! :D

This is the first year I haven't really followed hockey much at all...... haven't had much time........but I've heard NHL has changed quite a bit.

My friend said it has "pussified"....so I guess it means it's closer to European hockey now....less fights, less big bodychecks, more small, fast players and power play. Getting closer to Disney on Ice all the time....

To answer your question.....the best ever team was the Soviet Union national team between the years 1976-1982. First Harlamov-Petrov-Mihailov Super Trio....and then later Krutov-Makarov-Larionov. They beat Canada's/USA's best NHL pros in "Challenge Cup" in 1980 in two games. Other ended 6-0.....I remember hating the Russians when I was a kid.....and rooted for Marcel Dionne, Guy Lafleur and the other NHL big names.....but the Russians simply EMBARRASSED the NHL stars. Their skill level was just....... untouchable.

I witnessed some of their games live......they usually lead 6-0 after the first period against Finland.....then they politely slowed down the pace and let us make a goal or two. Basically they did on ice whatever they wanted. Team like that will probably never see a light of the day again....they played together for 20 years....every day......army discipline and all that.

Best player ever? Hmm, difficult. Gretzky was amazing of course, Lemieux in his prime.... but I'll say Vladimir Krutov. He was unbelieveable player for a few years..... until he moved to US and become fat as hell from all that gumbo and Bud....

kristian said:
Yogi is talking about field hockey. That's dull as dishwater.... and ALMOST as boring as cricket. But it probably suits the slippers pipe and cardigan oldtimers....take another mint imperial, get the big glasses on, watch some field hockey and go read the paper....then take your afternoon snooze.....! :D

Why you hockey puck!! :p Just because I'm old doesn't mean I shouldn't blind side you for a comment like that. I've been a hockey fan since the early 50s when my dad worked on the ice crew for the old Cincinnati Mohawks. I've never had problems with fights, but when hockey in the US started reminding me of Big Time Wrestling, I kind of soured on it.

Here's the link: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey

Compared to other ball team sports it's same interesting for players and spectators. The difference comes from what you prefer for some reasons. How can you talk about if you never have played or seen?

However, I prefer football. You probably call that soccer, if you already heard about that sport at all. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fußball

yogiholzer said:

Compared to other ball team sports it's same interesting for players and spectators. The difference comes from what you prefer for some reasons. How can you talk about if you never have played or seen?

However, I prefer football. You probably call that soccer, if you already heard about that sport at all. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fußball

I almost saw your mouth moving as you typed your first reply.... just that nobody tripped the switch in your head... and the gears weren't running in sync. But of course Nicolas was referring to FIELD HOCKEY...the biggest sport of Indonesia......! Oh why oh why I didn't realize that.......

"How can I talk about field hockey"? *I* didn't want to talk about field hockey........or Anette in Lederhosen.....for that matter. It was YOU who brought up the subject. I don't particularly like mud wrestling and horse polo either.....just for future reference.

Or perhaps you mean "how can you have such horrible opinion about field hockey"? I can....because I live in a free country. And what the hell makes you think I haven't "seen" field hockey?

"If you have ever head of football"......waz waz dat Hans? Waz dat a Golden Nugget Of Wisdom.... or Silvery.... or Bronzery.... or perhaps just a pathetic attempt of Irony...? "Mich sport is da better than dich sport"... oh puh-leeze....

You have never contributed jack shit to this community.....but you sure are whining and complaining on every occasion..... like a cranky little woman.... on her monthly cycle..... and trying your best to create negative atmosphere... listen Hans.....if you want to entice me to a flamewar....bring it on Dumpkopf... but in another thread. This was supposed to be a hockey related discussion.

@John: What's your favorite team on NHL right now? You still go to games? It would have been interesting to see a 50'S hockey game.

Huh ?

What's wrong? You search dispute with me? Why? Because I'm no table author? Other people than table authors are not worth to be forum members, because they don't contribute? Any reason to insult me?

I don't bring negative atmosphere to this place, but you do with such posts. And without any known reason!

With your post you stated you don't want other people than your cyber table author friends posting at PN. I will post here as long I have fun and until Jon or John ban me.

If you want to talk privately to nic about hockey, why don't you use email or pm? If anyone talks about hockey, I first think of field hockey and not ice hockey. That's all. That's sure a good reason for you to try to insult me.

However, from now on I think I can't take you seriously anymore. You seem to prove you are same minded as neptune. What do you state with the Hans attitude? Think about and maybe I change my mind.

I "insulted" you?

You know Yogi... YOU have stated several times that YOU are tired of the "negative atmosphere" in this community... yet you constantly make obnoxious snide remarks....just like your reply to me...."have you even heard of football?".......trying to insult my intelligence. And what the fuck football had to do with this thread in the first place?

Now let's try and clear the fog from your tiny brain... why should I take a hockey discussion to PMs when Nics original article was posted here.....this is a forum section called "back fence"........for "offtopic discussion".

You don't know what different forum sections are for? Well that doesn't surprise me because you have proven several times that you're about as bright as a 25-watt bulb.

And who's talking about banning anyone? I have NOTHING against regular members or non-table authors... I'm just sick and tired of you and your ilk......whining and complaining about everything under the sun.....threatening to "leave".....like anyone gives a shit.... and NEVER contributing anything......posting snide remarks and pissing off people......

"You can't take me seriously?" now you've offended me.......I am cut to the bone.....hit me over the head with a wet fish and call me Nancy..."SCORNED MAN"....I don't give a flying fuck about your beliefs or opinions about me. If you don't want to get insulted... don't start a pissing contest and generally act like an asshole... it's simple as that.

Me whining, complaining, nothing contributing and what else? And that all only because I asked about hockey or ice hockey? It's your opinion and that's new to me. I don't have any advantage in convincing you of something else! I probably hit a special nerve of you. But I was only talking about hockey in some laxly atmosphere/mood. It was not me starting flames. You just didn't realized that.

I don't think I'm that way I'm decribed and I don't want to be. If there are others who think the same as kristian, please let me know. Then I'm willing to think about seriously.

@yogi,
sorry man, i completely forgot about field hockey. i never got into games like that and lacrosse, but they seem pretty fun (particularly lacrosse) because like football/soccer you don't need any special place to play. it kind of sucks for me that my major sports all require special fields and/or equipment, like tennis, basketball and table tennis. i used to play street hockey also but it takes empty concrete areas- everywhere we used to try to play cars were always threatening to run us down- like parking lots and street corners. :lol:

anyway yea i have great respect for football/soccer but haven't played it since middle school. what's going on in the world of football these days? is there some kind of european cup?

EDIT: btw you are one of the nicest guys in the scene to me.

@kristian,
thanks for the info- that was interesting. i wish there were some better articles about those soviet teams, but all i find so far in wikiP are articles about single players. no wonder i don't remember krutov- it says he only played one year in NHL and then went back to europe.

so i guess you're not a flyers fan anymore? they somehow wound up with 'the best all-around player in the NHL' this year in peter forsberg. do you know anything about that guy? but if the flyers finally win this year it would be the first major championship in this city since 1983 when the sixers won- we are kind of a national embarrassment of a city that way. :oops:

@Yogi:

You _insulted my intelligence_... posted laughable links to dictionary... and asked "have you even heard of the sport of football"... and now your tiny bird brain is "confused"...?

You know what I think... I think you wanted to start a pissing contest ....but when you found out your small pecker can only pee halfway up the wall....you decided to cut and run....and end up pissing all over your shoes...!

@ nic: Thanks! There is world championship in soccer/football in germany this year http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/de/w/group/index.html and there are several european cups today. More interesting for me is german cup. My team FC St. Pauli (3rd devision) against Werder Bremen (1st devision) on next wednesday if weather doesn't get worse much. No chance again, same as on last two games, but they won.

@kristian: Believe what you want if it makes you happy. Contest? Visit VPOH for that matter. You don't want to have fun? If else, then stop your ongoing insultings and laughable language misuse or how to call. Does the word "sorry" exists for you?

kristian said:
@John: What's your favorite team on NHL right now? You still go to games? It would have been interesting to see a 50'S hockey game.

I follow 3 teams, St Louis, which has always been my favorite team, Columbus, because they're in my state, and Buffalo, becuse we used to have their minor league team, the Swords here. And while I watch some of the games on TV, I haven't seen a game in person in probably 15 years.

What I can't figure out is why two of the nicest guys on the forums don't get along better. I will say though that some of Kristian's insults, and not just in this thread but many others as well, are among the best I've ever seen. Now shake hands and have a been together.

I already have a beer.

Understand that I don't go for competition in insults.

What devil did kristian ride? He suddenly discharges stuff on me he collected in the last years or what? I never talked to him privately before and I can't think of threads I could have attacked him.

Sure I do understand his posts as insults, but I don't understand what he's saying in detail. Translation! The insults seem to be more worse as I thought, as you call them best insults ever. Must be a nice guy. Now I feel lucky!

I normally would await a "sorry", because I didn't do any bad, but I know these days it's a sign of atony. In fact it's the opposite. Seems I have to say "sorry". Sorry!

However, I don't care about anymore.

Yogi! You can't argue with a "ice" hockey player :) They just want to drop their gloves and fight, this is a result from not having the skill to play "field" hockey. :rasta:

yogiholzer said:
I normally would await a "sorry", because I didn't do any bad

I do some business online....sell & buy stuff....nothing major but a few extra bucks and Euros here and there.

I never, ever have a problem with other Europeans....Dutch, French, Swedes, Norwegians, or Brits....usually not even with Americans or Japs.... everything goes smoothly and people are polite and friendly....both sides.

But it's always the Germans that I have a problem with....their attitude.....not all of them....but some of you seem to get arrogance and bad manners in Mother's Milk. I'm not a box of candy, either...but as long as people play nice with me I never have a problem with anyone...

But if someone acts like an ass I'll treat him like an ass... it's mathemathics, really. It applies in real life and Internet as well...there's no difference.... I speak 4 languages, I have lived in 4 countries and read and educated myself quite a lot....in many different ways....so I don't need someone to start patrionizing me and treating me like an idiot.... because I made a joke about field hockey.... who really gives a crap about field hockey anyway? I know I don't....and I'm entitled to my opinion.... then you post links to dictionary... hint that I'm stupid... and have probably never even "heard" of the sport of football... which in your book is probably "superior" sport....

And now you're here....wondering why you pissed me off... this wasn't the first time you did that.... and playing dumb....at least that part comes naturally....you act like you started out in life with nothing and still got 3/4 left..... or maybe it really IS the language barrier...and I completely misunderstood your intentions...you either need a course in English language or a few charming lessons.....or both. Ok.... I admit.... I could probably use the latter as well.... :twisted:

@Nic: I'll reply the hockey questions tomorrow.

I said I don't care anymore, but I do. This is the post that made you go berserk.

yogiholzer said:

Let me explain. I didn't use quotes because my post was meant to nic, John and you.

The first link I posted on request of nic. I'm not interested in field hockey and ice hockey at all.

The "How can you talk about" was meant for defending other ball team sports. There is handball, volleyball, basketball and more. These sports aren't boring, especially if you take part and not only view.

The thing about football/soccer was meant as funny provocation to John, as that sport isn't very popular there.

That's it. Nothing. But you feel attacked.

I don't understand why you want to start a nazi discussion and why you need to call me a nazi. Only because you hate people living in germany? It seems, because I can't see any other reason. With your attitüde you prove that you are more nazi than me. That's for sure.

Ok fair enough... but who the hell is talking about nazis? I haven't called anyone a "nazi"... "nazi discussion"...? Where the hell did that comment come? Do you hear voices inside your head or something?

Ok, fair enough, you didn't call me a "nazi".

You called me "Hans", you came up with "Lederhosen", with words ending with "z", with bad arrogance and bad manners of germans, you told you always have problems with germans generally. I understood that you want to make it to a "nazi discussion". That's why I mentioned the neptune thing. I'm sorry if I understood you wrong in that content.

Please tell me why I should have any reason to insult you! I don't know you personally and I didn't notice you were talking about me bad before.

Then tell me, what contributions (whatever you mean with that) have to do with posting in a member forum!

And then please tell me about me whining and complaining. I don't think I do. But I don't know, how people see and understand me, if they don't tell me.

I don't believe you really meant all what you said. If that's true, then there's no reason left not to shake hands and have a beer together (online) as John recommended.

I believe part of this whole thing started because of the language barrier...and because I partly misunderstood you.....but it looked like you were "patrionizing" me....which pissed me off. Maybe it wasn't that.....I stated that I don't get along with some Germans that I'm doing business with... and made some comments to you that were out of line...they were flames....I had a shitty day, I lost my temper perhaps.... but I never, ever called you a "nazi"....or even SUGGESTED ANYTHING LIKE THAT.... for Fuck's sakes!!!!

My own ancestors come from Germany, I have some good German friends..... that I know from my hockey career..... Finland and Germany fought together in WW2 (for not so noble reasons...and that history isn't very "Grand"....for neither of us.....but anyway...)..... I ONLY STATED THAT SOME GERMANS SEEM TO LACK MANNERS......which is probably because of the language barrier......or cultural difference in communication......whatever.

I'm willing to drop the issue......there doesn't even seem to be an issue. No big deal anyway.... I apologize for some of my comments....and for calling you "Hans"... and for my comments about leather pants.... they weren't supposed to be taken so seriously anyway..... :D We're both pinball fans and enthusiasts.....so I don't see any reason why we couldn't get along in the future.

Cheers.

tiltjlp said:
kristian said:

I follow 3 teams, St Louis, which has always been my favorite team, Columbus, because they're in my state, and Buffalo, becuse we used to have their minor league team, the Swords here. And while I watch some of the games on TV, I haven't seen a game in person in probably 15 years.

Great... St Louis Blues has always been on the edge of success... but never really made it. Joel Queenville (spell?) was excellent coach but they've had their share of bad luck... but they're a traditional team... I like them and respect them.... there's a Finnish guy (Jarmo Kekalainen) handling their player scouting......very intelligent young guy....

Columbus is doing well for a new team....we had Jody Shelley playing in the Finnish league last year....when the strike was on.....pure goon....zero hockey skill...my kind of guy.... :p

Buffalo Sabres......lots of traditions there as well. They were really close of winning the cup a few years ago.......when Hasek was the King....

@Nic: I think Forsberg is past his prime.....not because he's too old or anything....but because the guy is physically destroyed.....he'd had tons of major injuries.....very small guy......around 205 lbs....playing like he was 50 pounds heavier......eventually you'll pay the price for playing that style..... Saku Koivu (Captain of Finnish National Team and Montreal Canadiens) has very similar playing style and he's very small, fragile guy with tons of skill and "eye"..... when he's on the rink he's not afraid of anything or anyone.....very complete player. I've always admired his attitude.....he won cancer and returned to the top.....

Perhaps this new style of NHL will suit these skilled players better....I dunno.....I haven't followed this years NHL at all.......but I certainly root for the Flyers when the playoffs start. I've always loved their traditions and physical playing style.....

@Yogi: Issue dropped. Let's forget the whole thing. Anything you need...any questions...drop me a PM. :cheers:

cool- thanks kristian. btw, what are the other two languages you speak?

btw i could swear you two staged that argument to pass the time while waiting for neptune to show his sorry ass again. :D

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back