How Do I Flatten Images?

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
By now you all should know I'm technically challenged. So I have both Paint Shop Pro 7.04 and PhotoShop 7. Both are US editions, and about all I can do with either one is rotate an image and do a little clarifying. If I could flatten even some of the "almost but not quite flat enough" images I have, I could preserve a lot more of the flipperless antiques that are becoming more and more rare,

So, if there is a way to flatten images using Paint Shop Pro 7.04 or PhotoShop 7, I'd love to know. Now you'll need to spell things out. If I need a plug-in, tell me which one. If I need to use a certain half-hidden menu selection, let me know please. Don't assume I know anything about any of this, because I don't. Any help would be appreciated.

John

Thanks Kurt. On first look at your tutorial, I can't imagine not being able to straighten and flatten playfields. Would it be OK if we hosted your tutorial here? Can't wait to try it out for real. Thanks again.

John

Sure John, use the tutorial as you like!

I hope it can help some others as well.

Kurt

Thanks loads Kurt, I appreciate that. So anyone who needs help understanding how to straighten and flatten playfield images can either check out Scapion's web site, or follow the link here to DL it from our Tutorials And Support Files section. Page down to find the file. Another fine example of someone with the knowledge and experience passing it on to the technically challenged.

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/index...sdownload&sid=6&min=40&orderby=titleA&show=20 Fixed link.

John

Wandering about aimlessly on here right now, and this piqued my interest. Was wondering if any of this might apply to the GIMP (the open source image editor I'm struggling with every day!)...

...and I've found that the link is dead right now, John.

John, I haven't had a chance to look at Scapino's tutorial but I would advise having a play with the distort and perspective tools. Having a play means that you can see their effects and makes you familiar with what is possible. Also I've found that once you flatten or straighten an image you need to put playfield objects where the base of the object would be on the image and then I make a separate image for the plastics and anything which is above the playfield and base this on a blueprint of the table after I've put all the objects on the table. It can be quite a fiddle but I've never made a table from a stripped playfield, these just don't seem to be available for old EMs. Also I want to make tables which haven't been done yet so the image quality tends to be variable as that often explains why no reproduction has ever been made.

Good luck.

DS

If it's perspective correction, then PhotoBrush has a handy tool to do that. Image/adjust/perspective correction - drag the box around the image so it's square/rectangle and it does the rest. Even works for cropped images with a checkbox to drag the selection window outside the viewing area.

destruk said:
If it's perspective correction, then PhotoBrush has a handy tool to do that. Image/adjust/perspective correction - drag the box around the image so it's square/rectangle and it does the rest. Even works for cropped images with a checkbox to drag the selection window outside the viewing area.

Sounds like what I need. I'll do a search for it. Thanks.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back