shiva

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Trigon
With people starting to get their @AtGames legends Pinball and more with the next available batch in March, you know they are going to want to play VPX on them.
Dave Helmeg has posted a tutorial on Facebook that shows exactly how to do this, but is a very involved process that can take 2 hours to do. Because it's Facebook, I will just copy and paste the entire thing here instead.

Ok guys, since it looks like we'll all be getting our tables in the next 6-8 weeks, I know most of us want to run Visual Pinball, and let's face it, it's a pain in the a$$ to setup. After spending almost a week getting it all put together and running perfectly, I've been through a lot of crap videos that didn't work, and sorted through all the junk (with some help from
Damon Cammarano
and
Clenton Clarion
, thanks guys!). I thought I'd make it easier for everyone else by saving the video links to what worked. So, the following will get you setup running tables on VPX, getting your real or virtual DMD's and other display stuff placed and working correctly, the ability (and strong desire!) to run Pup Packs, and get Pinup Popper front end all running together. There is a wiki page that describes step-by-step (DO NOT SKIP A SINGLE SENTENCE...TRUST ME), and the 4 videos follow along with that guide. There's about 2-3 hours of video to watch, but takes longer to setup because you'll need to pause, install and configure what they do, and resume. A few of the small things in the video are outdated, but just refer to the wiki when that happens, as it's up to date. So, without further ado, here's how to get Visual Pinball playing like a champ...
Wiki Installation Instructions (use the videos to follow along): https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php...
Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI8wD4Pwvfg...
Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-YzV5CyX0...
Video 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUzulvM-10&t=3s
Video 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv0HXFrUgJQ...
Sorry for the formatting, we at PN are still trying to figure out this new software and how it works. This is profession forum software, maybe the best you can get, and experienced web guys can use it, but we are all just pinball guys, not web guys.

Big shout out to fellow FP community member TerryRed, as his excellent videos are included in this list.

The big rumor is this will be a built in feature in the AtGames Pinball Legend cabinet soon enough, and should be coming in a future pinball update. In the meanwhile, if you can't wait then here you go. For new users, these links are very useful even if you have just a desktop, because VPX is really a pain in the ass to get working and is overly complex for it's own good.

Of course, Future Pinball is a lot easier.... just saying.... :)

If AtGames holds true to not including anyone else's software (VPX, FP, PUP, etc) on a PC / HDD,etc for this cabinet (which they shouldn't, unless permission is granted)... then people will really need to know how to "install" the basics.

A lot of people think the answer is a pre-imaged drive with everything pre-installed on it. First... not legal. 2nd... it's "Windows". Sooner or later you WILL have problems. If you are completely clueless as to how Windows and all the related software works... your lovely VPX / FP cabinet will be useless in no time.

The biggest issue I see with this cabinet is the lack of HMDI / DVI input on the backglass monitor (that ribbon cable is a "bad" idea that will break easily with some ppl))... and lack of middle monitor. Both can be remedied if you are savy enough.... but there also needs to be a way to switch "everything" (3 monitors, controllers / plunger, audio) back and forth between the PC and the built in android system.

I'm not sure if you can plug a usb cable from a PC into the top panel, and the controls will work with a PC that way.

Last edited:
If people really wanted to.,.. they could replace the "at games" d-pad panel with a "DMD" sized LCD like I have in mine. This is assuming you have no interest in adding any kind of arcade control panel there (like I used to have ironically).

Nice terry, it's a size thing though with the dmd.

- Yes,that ribbon cable is not a great idea. Pretty sure AtGames knows this, and when it comes time to update their machine, will replace it. There are other things as well, but 600 us dollars for 2 1080p monitors in a cabinet like that.
- AtGames has announced a arcade controller board will be available for the space where your dmd is. Proper arcade setup, decent quality joystick/buttons trackball. This means arcade game support through ArcadeNet, and maybe MAME down the road when they add true computer pinball support. Vertical arcade games should be pretty awesome.
- The backglass is the big issue. Too small, too much dead space. people have already added a dmd between the speakers, but I wouldn't be surprised if AtGames offers a upgrade to the backglass with a bigger monitor and a slot for DMD sometime soon.

Yah, my old setup on my cabinet was a full 2 player arcade panel (too crowded)... then eventually 1 player... then what you saw in the video above with only LCD screen and a fire button on the lockdown bar.

I was able to come up with some nice addressable led effects / cabinet lighting / feedback with the shaker motor,etc. I've compiled it to a single massive DOF config that I use it with DOFLinx. That can work with MAME or any game...as it just reacts to button presses, or startup events... or clever combos of buttons, etc.

Newer updates to DOFLinx can now read parts of MAME memory to trigger effects as well. So if you get to a certain score or event then trigger whatever you want.

Undoubtably, AtGames and other companies will get in touch with us to give us the code to enable things like the hapticsupport,plungers tilt etc built into their units. Kind of amazing the things we can do even for the previous year, and the things to come.

Undoubtably, AtGames and other companies will get in touch with us to give us the code to enable things like the hapticsupport,plungers tilt etc built into their units. Kind of amazing the things we can do even for the previous year, and the things to come.

The dude from AtGames contacted me a while back to ask if I was interested in doing some kind of project with them. No idea what it was really (most likely making FP tables for them to help promote it,etc)... as I told him I just don't have the time for anything else right now.

Not sure what position he is at the company. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you are interested in either with Jungle Girl... but here he is on FB.

Steven Restalgia​

Last edited:
Pizza time from VP was a specialized version with scotty, and I am sure the 3 FP tables were the same. The problem is intellectual property rights,even though I redrew the entire artwork, it's still based on a actual comic book. AtGames has been burned on this before. We wait...

Pizza time from VP was a specialized version with scotty, and I am sure the 3 FP tables were the same. The problem is intellectual property rights,even though I redrew the entire artwork, it's still based on a actual comic book. AtGames has been burned on this before. We wait...

Yah, that's basically what I said too.

Everything I work on or mod falls under that so I can't really add anything I work on, unless I do a table complete with my own IP / assets... which is something I have no time to invest in right now.

Yeap, people who just play the games do not understand the amount of time it takes, and the more you have to do on that table, the more time it takes. Sort of a bugaloo for both sides here, we want the support and the attention, AtGames needs exclusives to justify the cost of their ArcadeNet. We are a little bit better off than vpx, as they are so focused on rom games, but we don't have that many either.
On top of that, because we are such a close knit family, there's other variables to consider. None of us are going to get rich on this, with the Ultracade mess people behaved very badly for cheques that ended up being a whole 11 dollars, so part of our process is to decide if the problems this could cause among ourselves is actually worth it.
Of course I look at the bad side more than anything, but then I had a pretty bad thing happen to me about all of this, and when or if money is involved, people do things they wouldn't do normally, it does always seem to happen. Something I really want not to happen here or repeat itself. I'm personally content with the fact that more people will play my games, the only time I have objections is when people steal and then take credit for my work, and then sell it so they could earn the money themselves.

Yeap, people who just play the games do not understand the amount of time it takes, and the more you have to do on that table, the more time it takes. Sort of a bugaloo for both sides here, we want the support and the attention, AtGames needs exclusives to justify the cost of their ArcadeNet. We are a little bit better off than vpx, as they are so focused on rom games, but we don't have that many either.
On top of that, because we are such a close knit family, there's other variables to consider. None of us are going to get rich on this, with the Ultracade mess people behaved very badly for cheques that ended up being a whole 11 dollars, so part of our process is to decide if the problems this could cause among ourselves is actually worth it.
Of course I look at the bad side more than anything, but then I had a pretty bad thing happen to me about all of this, and when or if money is involved, people do things they wouldn't do normally, it does always seem to happen. Something I really want not to happen here or repeat itself. I'm personally content with the fact that more people will play my games, the only time I have objections is when people steal and then take credit for my work, and then sell it so they could earn the money themselves.

I can pretty much mirror what you said.

Yah, it can get to be a tricky business when money is involved. If it's just one person making a table with all their own assets... it's a little easier... but let's be honest. Most of us rely on some form of work from others when making tables. So when you may have others helping out it can get complex when money is involved. I'm not saying that it can't be done right... and so far Scott hasn't had any issues... and it's not like others have never had "donations / tips" (which is the least dramatic way)... but I just like doing what we do for the fun of it.

agree. especially for the amount that would be given. From my point of view, I'm not allowing other people to sell my work without my knowledge or permission and just so they can profit from it and keep all the money. I'm no different than any author, they would object just as strongly no matter who it is.
If AtGames say approached me for say shivaFlippers, I doubt it's worth the trouble it may cause with bad feelings etc, and I certainly don't want problems like that here. For what I would get, just not worth it and I am very comfortable here and don't want to affect that status. I certainly don't want to compromise my principles, they would have to offer w-a-y more money than 11 dollars for me to even think about it.
In that case, I certainly don't want to block others either. so I would request then the money go to support this website, the expenses are huge and as a community member, for such little money, I would rather have this site going than the few cups of coffee any revenue would give me, and even less as the government will want their cut for taxes. (we are both Canadians, we would know that one)
Even if the expenses were covered here, it's nice to have a fund to help out other sites if they need it to stay alive. shivaSite did this for a couple sites, we had more money from donations than we could use, and sent the spare money with permission from our donors to help out a couple times when a site had difficulties coming up with the money to cover expenses. To me, that's worth it then, and could solve a problem before it even starts.

Don’t tell you both enough, but thanks again for all the hard work you have put into the community. I am proud VP owner and it wouldn’t be half as enjoyable if not for your contributions! I was looking at one of these as sort of a fun, inexpensive experiment to work on but opted to stick with the best...

I'm thinking the same thing. Up here.the ALU will be 1200 with tax. You an build a pretty decent system for that if you have the spare computer. Tempting though

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back