Tutorial How to Make "Power of 2" Work for Any Texture (Image) on Future Pinball

Slamt1lt posted a mod of the "Twilight Zone" table. He added 7 video clips but did not use power of 2 on the size of the individual frames. I am in the process of modifying the table and have converted all the video images for the video frames to power of 2. I checked the table loading time with a stop watch. The table before the change required 107 seconds to load. My converted table with the exact same video loaded in 46 seconds. ...So converting the video frames to power of 2 saved about one minute of loading time. I have a reasonable good video card (second generation Nvidia). I am sure the table would take longer to load if you have a lower end video card.

The conversion "format" may also play into this as well for the size of the jpg images.

For RF2, I noticed that many of my JPG images were much larger than they should have been. I was using GIMP to create the new art and export them as JPGs, and and they were including extra colour data and other info that was not needed or used in FP. When I used another app to convert the images to the same resolution, the jpgs were much smaller and more efficient.

You can always compare your exported images from SLAM to your new images (try the same resolution first) to see if there is any difference (larger / smaller,etc).

The conversion "format" may also play into this as well for the size of the jpg images.

For RF2, I noticed that many of my JPG images were much larger than they should have been. I was using GIMP to create the new art and export them as JPGs, and and they were including extra colour data and other info that was not needed or used in FP. When I used another app to convert the images to the same resolution, the jpgs were much smaller and more efficient.

You can always compare your exported images from SLAM to your new images (try the same resolution first) to see if there is any difference (larger / smaller,etc).
For JPG files, you have to look at the percent quality when you are saving. I have found that setting quality to 80% will keep the file sizes about the right size. If you use 100%, the file sizes can become much larger than the original file even if the resolution is less. On Twilight Zone, all of the original JPG files were about 12 MB for all 650 files added together. After resizing, all of the files added up to about 8 MB.

I used the web site listed on my first posting to do the resizing. It listed the amount of compression in percent for JPG files. The program you use may list the amount of compression a little differently, so you should experiment with it. Every program will have some method of adjusting quality on JPG files (or the amount of compression). Some folks may not realize that JPG files do actually compress the image to reduce size and you can adjust the amount of compression. It is how JPG files avoid being as large as bit maps (BMPs). JPG files are the only image format I know about that you can adjust the compression when saving the file.

Sorry, don't read this post before.
To export textures:
1) download Companion Tools
2) copie your .fpt in the same directorie (assume it's MyTable.fpt)
3) create a batch file with:
fp-grab.exe MyTable.fpt
4) launch the .bat
5) you find all ressources in a sub directory named MyTable
You can do the same thing with a .fpm or a .fpl

Concerning deleting files, I don't know...

To rename, resize, rotate, ... a lot of files in batch mode -> XnView MP

Sorry, don't read this post before.
To export textures:
1) download Companion Tools
2) copie your .fpt in the same directorie (assume it's MyTable.fpt)
3) create a batch file with:
fp-grab.exe MyTable.fpt
4) launch the .bat
5) you find all ressources in a sub directory named MyTable
You can do the same thing with a .fpm or a .fpl

Concerning deleting files, I don't know...

To rename, resize, rotate, ... a lot of files in batch mode -> XnView MP
Thanks, I never used Companion Tools before.

Concerning deleting textures, I have an idea for textures belonging to image list.
Go to the ressource (overlay or whatever else) containing this image list and change the name of the image list by none, then play the table and as these textures are not used, you can go to the texture manager and delete unused textures.

Last edited:
Concerning deleting textures, I have an idea for textures belonging to image list.
Go to the ressource (overlay or whatever else) containing this image list and change the name of the image list by none, then play the table and as these textures are not used, you can go to the texture manager and delete unused texture.
I did that once on another table and it works. Textures and models are not loaded if they are not used. That is why you have to add textures to a hidden table object when you use the BAM texture swap.

Unfortunately, FP loads every audio and font file that are added. Rafal explained to me that FP doesn't search the script for usage of a file. It does check all the table objects and image lists for textures and models.

Actually, you don't need to add any textures to an object / surface to use BAM texture swapping or pup plug-in texture swapping like was once thought. I found out you just need to add textures to "any" image list, and then the texture swapping can be used (which led to RetroFlair 2 being created the way you see it today).

Last edited:
I feel just a little bit more stupid now, as always @wild and @popotte keeps it real.
@GeorgeH, mate just mod the table and submit it. I don't get all the hype that is needed to release a mod.
Options, options and options , let's keep everyone happy. That is not possible!
@TerryRed, Yes I am calling you out too. There is only one who can mod a table like you and his name is.....
No these tables are not available anymore more because? What!! No!!
These pretzels are making me thirsty, or did I just get left behind.

But look out there is smoke, they say when ya see smoke there is fire.
No 4k snaps or detailed dribble of his work, just released it without notice.
Because he ain't afraid of no ghost's, cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back