I'll tell you what's bugging me

panda55

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Locusts. That's right. The little buggers are back again. The weather has started to heat up a little and the plague has started again.

I didn't count them but I estimate around ten million flew / hopped / muched their way through my yard today, and I am not exaggerating.

Attachments

• locusts2.jpg
    locusts2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 505
Now if those are what we call 17 year locusts, I sympathize with you. I think I missed the latest invasion last summer, since I hadn't moved back here to Cincinnati yet. But my ears ring all the time, and I blame it on those noisy buggers, having invaded a lot more than once every 17 years. I think they work in shifts, and actually return every 5 or 6 years. I feel sorry for you, but I'm glad it's you and not me who is suffering.

John :johntiltjlp:

I don't know why people call Secadas locusts.... Locusts are grasshoppers. Secadas are a soft-shell-crab with wings! Good eats! :twisted:

Well Dude, I've never tasted a locust, grasshopper, or a cicada, which is defined by my Word Web program as follows: Stout-bodied insect with large membranous wings; male has drum-like organs for producing a high-pitched drone. So while they may be a menu delight, it doesn't sound as if they are flying crabs. Maybe your information is a bit waterlogged.

John :oldman

Flying crabs as in that's what they taste like, not what they are. :D

Not that I've tried one, but a friend of mine swears they taste exactly like soft-shell crab. Frankly, though they never really showed up in NE Ohio. My grandparents live further south and they got their batch about 4-5 years ago, not this past year. They were everywhere down there back then. They'd land right in you hand. I hear a lot of cats got sick GORGING themselves on those things. They're ugly buggers, though and their shells are wicked looking when they shed.

Have you been drinking Sterno again SmurfDude? Anyway, whenever we have our next 17-year cicada invasion, I'll send you as many as you want, or if I'n feeling brave, I'll invite you down here to experience it first hand.

John

These beasties are locusts/grasshoppers. Today was even worse than yesterday. Almost twice as many.

My lawn was 60/40 to look at. 40% locusts 60% grass. All they do all day is eat, shag, fly around bumping into things, oh and shag. (Maybe that's heaven for some).

I might get a close up of some tomorrow. Trouble is if you get within 3 feet of them they all fly up in one big cloud.

As for cicadas we get those every summer. Some towns are worse than others. It gets a little hot here for them but in Orange (a town 120klms east of here) they have a much cooler climate being at a higher altitude.

The singing of the cicadas is deafening. My mum reckons her tinitis is not dissimilar in sound, only a lot quieter. :shock:

I had a pet cicada when I was a kid. I called him Irving. I carried him around in my shirt pocket - even when we went shopping down the street. Man I used to get some weird looks.

I still get the weird looks. Maybe it wasn't Irving they were staring at. :s

Attachments

• cicada.jpg
    cicada.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 461
  • locust.jpg
    locust.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 444
Ok, what you call locusts I/we call grashoppers. What you call cicadas we call cicadas aor 17 year locusts. And if we had flying crabs around here we'd probably call them flying crabs.

John

Maybe I was just getting ready for Half-Life 2. :twisted:

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back