Site Nudger
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Drop-A-Card
Hey All,

Something freaky happened to the site (Not hacked!) last week, the load times went from seconds to minutes and I fear the site has outgrown it's intended capabilities of the Content Management System, (CMS) of post nuke!

I don't really believe that statement and would appreciate any clues you can give me regarding the exact date and time you noticed the site loading time depreciated....

Thank's to you all, I think I know what happened but need some input!:)

I need to know, Don't guess, when did you notice a dramatic slow down for the site?

Any responses will be valuable, please note the Site Was Not Hacked!

Jon

Thank You!

Jon

Last edited:
Yes, It has been really slow loading of late. About a minute for the page to come up, and I'm on broadband. HOWEVER, the page came up pretty quick just now. (11:30 pm PST August 12).

Kurt

Thanks scapino,

That minute is unacceptable, I'm on broadband and that minute won't allow tiltjlp and our dialup pinheads to login to the site! It's my fault and something happened since July, I need to know what date and/or time "that minute" first happened....

Peace:
Jon

Well, I was unable to access the site for close to two days, those days being August 9th and 10th. I had been using www.flipperless.com, becuase www.pinballnirvana.com had stopped loading for me in mid-July.

I switched back to www.pinballnirvana.com, and I can now not only access the site again, but the load times are nearly always faster than they have been in the past. Access to the site now takes as little as 2 minutes to fully load, and forum pages without loads of graphics load in less than 3 minutes, where in the past it's taken 5 to 7 minutes.

Pages with graphics can take from 5 to 10 minutes, all according to which threads and how many graphics, where in the past they could take 15 to 25 minutes to load, if all. Hope this helps.

John

tiltjlp said:
Well, I was unable to access the site for close to two days, those days being August 9th and 10th. I had been using www.flipperless.com, becuase www.pinballnirvana.com had stopped loading for me in mid-July.

I switched back to www.pinballnirvana.com, and I can now not only access the site again, but the load times are nearly always faster than they have been in the past. Access to the site now takes as little as 2 minutes to fully load, and forum pages without loads of graphics load in less than 3 minutes, where in the past it's taken 5 to 7 minutes.

Pages with graphics can take from 5 to 10 minutes, all according to which threads and how many graphics, where in the past they could take 15 to 25 minutes to load, if all. Hope this helps.

John

PS: I just checked the 5 day forecast and it loaded in 11 seconds, 3 days ago it wouldn't even load for me.

I'm glad you are back tiltjlp BUT I timed the loading and I see no difference?

Any forecast that takes 11 seconds to load is old, This is what I know:

This page was Very Slow loading, something bad (Not hacked!) happened to the database in late July or early August, It was not a module, (weather, how many users, Latest Gallery Pic's, Latest downloads, etc..) that created the slowdown, I just need to know when it happened! I've completed comparison's enabling and disabling these modules, in order, some other force is creating the lapse...

It took over 1 second to load this page on broadband, it should load MUCH Faster, I have made some changes to the setting's but I don't notice any speed difference. :shock:

My original request stands, to Anyone, Please tell me when you noticed a
slowdown of the server, something's funky!

Peace!

I wrote something, the post was lost?

Hmm, database is overloaded I think.

Now it works...

Anyway, site is very slow, there's a lot of activity with a page change according to the status bar, and you are using a nuke based product with a large amount of content, something it wasn't built for.

You may have reached your mySQL size, at the very least, some of your mySQL tables may be over it's limit in the database. Nuke based portals also have very high query counts as well, so I think you are overloading the resources available

Something must be messed up, because since 2 AM toady the site is loading faster than it eve has for me. Being on dial-up, if I'm the only one experiencing a big speed up, it's sure weird.

John

It was slow loading again, this time (about 30 seconds)... :(

Kurt

Was the server restarted the last little while?

I wrote this on 09.08.2005 in the birthday thread:

"Btw., the site loads unbelieveable slowly since some time ago and it occurs, loading time gets worse. Took me about 2 min. this time. I don't noticed this on any other site. Just to let you know." I corrected to "didn't notice". :)

It was very slow on my previous post in that thread on 06.08.2005 too.

As from my post in the You are about to enter the Twilight Zone! thread on 29.07.2005 it seems there was an error, but I don't remember if it was slow.

I don't think I noticed slow loading time before.

Now it's much better, but not as fast as it was. About 10 sec. maybe.

I appreciate all of the feedback!

Pinball Nirvana has not approached any limits and I'm still messing around with some settings, the site seems faster but it still bothers me... :roll:

Remove some modules, you have too many, especially the scrolling images module, which are worse than shoutboxes for queries and speed hits.
PHP-Nuke doesn't have template cacheing, so modules will add heavier loads, so look at which ones are not really needed and deactivate them. Nuke isn't very well put together, and phpBB isn't very optimised, or current for that matter. maybe a whitespace remover would help at least.

Anything that calls java applets will cause slow down, and some modules may add several server queries with each page refresh. Others, like the donation box, will call off site, and if that site is slow, it will slow yours down as well.

Wow, this broadband is fantastic. Everything loads so fast now I almost get whiplash watching it. Both DL and UL times are over 15X faster than dial-up was.

John

Welcome to the World, John!

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back