JP's STTNG WIP

jpsalas

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
By popular demand... :) Here it is a WIP thread :)

I have not been able to do very much the last days. But here is a screenshot of the current state, but I have the whole weekend to work on the table... so expect a new screenshot tomorrow.

JP

Attachments

• STTNG_JP_WIP5.jpg
    STTNG_JP_WIP5.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 649
Thanks for this JP. This forum should be looked at as an alternative for whenever AJ's is down. By the way, the table is coming along great and I can't wait for its release. Your tables are always to notch and are created in my preferred viewing angle. Keep up the good work. MIKE

**EDIT**Also, thanks for reverting the playfield back to its original shape as the WIP4 pic at AJ's looked a little stretched out. MIKE

Last edited:
Great screenshot JP,...it looks very very good!!

Hey Phoenixx! :wave:Here it is a new screenshot, a little bigger this time. I wonder if I should start posting all my wips only to PN :p

I have been working with photoshop the whole day, but still there are many graphics and lights to add. I guess today I'll finish the graphics and tomorrow I can go on with the VP part.

JP

edit: All the flashers are on in the picture (still there are a few flashers missing)

Attachments

• STTNG_JP_WIP6.jpg
    STTNG_JP_WIP6.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 470
This is simply awesome, JP!!

How well you manage to mix photorealistic elements with VP elements so it all still looks 'equal' (for the lack of a better term) surprises me time and time again,...

Thanks Phoenixx! I do my best. But now that I have been using photoshop for 3 years I now how to make a light and give all the different graphics the same tone (brightness, colors, etc) so they fit better together.

This will be the last WIP screenshot because most of the graphics are finished, I still have to make the fading lights, now they are just on :).

Today I'll start scripting the table and adding all the missing VP objects, mostly the lights.

Attachments

• STTNG_JP_WIP7.jpg
    STTNG_JP_WIP7.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 472
Great job, looking forward playing this one. Engage!

I want it.
This one is going to be absolutely angle dependent. It looks like you have global shadows off. I suggest you turn them on long enough to see what it is going to look like with them on and tune it so. I'd give everything in the back shadows and the ramps, but not inside walls on the left side.

Yes, Shockman, that's what I'm doing. I have global shadows on, and I remove it from objects if they cast too much shadow on a light. I'm making the lights using dropwalls so they are affected by the shadows.

JP, i just noticed that you made the three 'kidney' shaped lights at the center of the table green. (Probably because most of the pictures suggest this, but thats due to color distortion.)

Actually they should be blue though,...you know, that typical 'StarTrek' light-blue. Here are two examples. Note that the blue on these pictures is still a little on the bright side, (flaw of many digicams), so it should be somewhat darker than that. Just use the typical 'StarTrek blue' (you probably know what i mean) as reference and you cant go wrong,...

Attachments

• sttng_blue.jpg
    sttng_blue.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 450
Thanks Phoenixx, I wasn't sure which color they were. Some pictures showed a green color, others blue and others something in between. I'm not sure which color you mean, but I'll take a look at some pictures of Star Trek to find the right color. Due to the way I make the lights they'll become a little "greenish" when on, but I can change that.

Youre welcome, JP. :)

One other thing; unless there were two different versions of STTNG, the red lights on top of the cannons are not supposed to be domes, but flat.

Check this picture:

Attachments

• image-44.jpg
    image-44.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 465
I have seen both kind of lights.
In the picture you'll see the kind of dome lights and the "greenish" color of the flashers. It doesn't matter for me to make one kind or the other :). I make the table as your recuest, so I guess you decide what you want: flat lights or dome lights :)

Attachments

• st_pf.jpg
    st_pf.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 461
I think the dome lights look pretty cool on the real table!

The VP table looks great so far also!

Ah, i see,...so there were two different versions after all.

(Or are they perhaps just customized/replacement cannons? Maybe we should ask a retailer or an owner who knows?)

As for me deciding, i would never tell you what you have to do. It is your table, you do the work, and while im gladly passing on my observations they are only meant to be informational, which means the final desicion is absolutely 100% yours and i will be fine with whatever it will be. Everything else would be disrespectful in my opinion, and the last thing i would do is disrespect a fine gentleman like you. I appreciate the sentiment though as it prooves once more what a decent guy you are. If everyone here would only be half as decent we would be the greatest community in the world.

BTW, this is what i meant by 'StarTrek blue',...taken from your above posted screenshot.

This kind of blue is used all across the series, and it is also usually used for the credits, except for the very early Kirk episodes, where they still used yellow,...

Attachments

• startrekblue.jpg
    startrekblue.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 445
Thanks Bob. I also think the table looks good :)

And about the versions, it may be a mod or a custom made guns as you said, Phoenixx. I'll try both versions of the lights.

There were both styles of lights on the cannons, and I think both are factory. There were a few mod kits available though, the most popular being the laser pointer on the cannons. It would only require a very thin table wide reel, or at least it's worth a try, as an option of course, or a mod.
Light kits are also available for the toys.
People often turned the shuttle craft around too.

Enough talk about what could be though, I can't wait to play the crap out of this game.

About the cannon lights: even in the flyer you can see the dome style.

The laser light: I'll think about an easy way to do it. The cannons move in 36 steps, that would be many reels. Maybe I can make it with drop walls...

I'm working on the script. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I found out that there are diverters under the playfield which turn off after a few seconds. It looks like a labyrint under the playfield :) But it goes fine, slowly, but fine.

JP

The table seems to be coming along great. No rush, just take your time as good things come to those who wait. MIKE

The dome lights on your vp table WIP appear to be washed out a little (not bright plastic red) compared to the picture you posted..... I hope you adjust that. :cool:

After finishing the script and all the objects in the table I decided to do not release the table... yet :) I want to recheck the script and the position of all the switches since I always use to leave some switches on the floor instead of on a ramp :)

But in the meantime you may test the table like it is now, if you feel for it. here is the link:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/4/735251/STTNG_JP_WIP.zip

There is a limit of how much can be downloaded from Fileden, so if you get an error then you know the limit has been reached.

Greetings
JP

WIP3 uploaded here:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/4/735251/STTNG_JP_WIP3.zip

I think I found a solution to the cannons. I really like to see the ball there. I tried without the ball and it felt empty, something was missing :)

I have also fixed the error with the flashers on top of 3 bank targets.

I have changed the mechanical sounds. I'm just trying here which sounds feel better to the table, the older ones, more traditional sounds, or these ones.

JP

I just tried it and it is a beautiful table, I never played a real one, but this version is fun. :)

The posts are fantastic! Can I use them? It's OK if you say no. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back