LogIn Bug?

Phoenixx

Starfleet Member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Dunno if its really a Bug, (in fact im not even sure if its on my side or the Forums), but the trouble is this: When i enter the site via my frontpage-bookmark i get to the frontpage just fine and im also greeted with 'Hello Phoenixx' in the upper left corner. But still my nick is not showing up in the 'Active Members' list, and if i refresh the page only one time the upper left corner suddenly says 'Hello unlogged User', although it said my name right before when i entered. (In case you wonder; Yes, i have cookies enabled and also checked the 'RememberMe' option.)

Then, (which seems to be the weird part), when i click on 'LogIn', im not asked for any nick and password, but redirected to the forums instead! The forum then says 'Hello Phoenixx' again (although i didnt enter any nick or PW by then) and when i then go back to the frontpage via the big PN-Banner im suddenly shown in the ActiveMembers list and the upper left corner says 'Hello Phoenixx' again too. That seems to be the point after which im really logged in.

So despite the fact that the site is greeting me with my nick whenever im entering, to be really logged in i always have to take a trip over the forums back to the frontpage. If i dont go that route my nick does appear in the upper left corner, but im not shown in the ActiveMembers list and im also not really logged in.

Yesterday this caused some confusion when i tried to submit a highscore for hours (i left the browser open and tried again from time to time whilst doing some work) until it finally dawned on me that the trouble might be that im not actually logged in although the frontpage said 'Hello Phoenixx' when i entered. So i finally opened a second tab and went the route via the forums, and once i loaded the game on that second tab i could in deed submit the score from the original tab just fine in a matter of seconds.

If all that sounds like something is going wrong on my side please let me know what i have to do to fix it.
If its a problem with the forum i hope its not too complicated to fix,...:curtain:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the bug report, this is a new login bridge between the forums and the sites home page. It's still under development and your information is valuable, hope to have things straightened out soon.

I believe the Remember Me option on the forums should be avoided until this gets fixed, all of the login functions are currently being handled by the forums but there are currently some conflicts.

Alrighty,...if you need anyone to test anything just drop me a line,...

An Update!

I'm still testing, but it looks like the problems have been fixed, i can't take the credit, the developer of the new LogIn program deserves it!

There is a new Remember Me check box on the home page and it seems to work as well as the one on the forums index page.

Everyone should feel free to report any problems they encounter, the forums have been tested but I'm sure there are some bugs that are hiding, so update your profiles and click away.

:drummer:

I guess that did it.

I just entered the frontpage via my link, refreshed the page several times, and the upper left corner still said 'Hello Phoenixx'.

I was also shown in the ActiveUsers list right away.

So whatever you did, it seems you did the right thing.

Thanks for such a quick fix,...other places can only dream of management and maintenance like this,...:army:

I hate to be a pain in the butt, especially on sundays, but apparently theres still a little bug crawling around here somewhere,...

Let me explain what i did, i hope that helps to terminate the dastardly insect one for all times:

Got an email about your reply in the VIP thread,

Clicked the link in the mail to jump to the thread,

Was shown as 'Phoenixx' when in the thread.

Clicked the PN banner at the top to go to the frontpage,

Was redirected to the frontpage and greeted as 'Unlogged User',

Was not in the ActiveMembers list.

Clicked LogIn, was redirected to the Forum,

Clicked PN banner to go back to the frontpage,

Was greeted with 'Hello Phoenixx',

Was in the ActiveMembers list.

Exited PN, re-entered PN,

Was greeted with 'Hello Phoenixx',

Was shown in the ActiveMembers list.

Clicked LogOut, was still logged in,

Refreshed the page several times, was still logged in,

Went over here to tell JPH all about it because he doesnt have enough work already.

(O.K.,...that last part is a dirty lie.:liar:)

So in some cases, (apparently especially when entering the forum via an email link and then going to the frontpage from there), the Auto-LogIn still seems to partially fail. Partially, because the forum showed me as logged in but the frontpage (upper left corner and ActiveMembers) did not. To be really logged in i had to go the old route again, namely clicking the LogIn line, being redirected to the forum, (without being asked for nick&PW), and then going back to the frontpage via the PN banner at the top.

But the real odd part is that now i cannot log out anymore. No matter how often i click on LogOut, its always ignored and im staying logged in anyway. Even if i refresh the page or exit and re-enter the site. Its kind of funny though, because it shows me that the site really loves me. It just cant let go,...:heart::mrgreen:

Anyhow, just thought i let you know about it since you said you want to hear about everything odd that we might come across.

Like i said, if you need someone to test anything specific just let me know and i come a runnin,...:builder:

Last edited:
Heres another strange one:

I played a few rounds of Smack the Penguin and 5 minutes ago i exited the site because i wanted to use another mouse. When i came back, (i entered via my frontpage-bookmark), the upper left corner said 'Hello unlogged User' although the ActiveMembers list still showed me as logged in. See screenshot,...

This problem seems to be somehow limited to the frontpage-system only though, because the forum still showed/shows me as logged in,...

Attachments

• loggedornot.jpg
    loggedornot.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 406
Thanks for another bug report, i believe the problems have been fixed by the developer of this program!

axew3 is fixing these problems by himself on the site, it's a new program so your bug reports are valuable. I really like the new forums (VBulletin) and without axew3's program the entire main site would've had to be scrapped and redone.

Check out axew3's bug fix message in the Chatbox on the bottom of the forums index page, he deserves all of the credit!
:appl:

Solved also latest issue about a redirect error with some Xantia configurations. Finally we are arrived at a clean PnvB that work without (unknows) bugs. PnvB need only to be emproved now.
Let's know in any case if still something result as not perfect in some situation. Thank you and thank to all!
Best regards to all boys, axew3

Great to hear youre making progress...much appreciated.

Though there still seems to be a problem with the frontpage....

The trouble is this: When i try to enter the site via my bookmark (pinballnirvana.com) im now getting a message similar to a 404, but it doesnt say 'Cant Connect', it says (translated from german) 'Redirecting Error - The called webpage is redirecting the request in a way that it can never be completed'. Firefox additionally says that this can happen when cookies are disabled or set to 'Deny', but i did allow all cookies from this site and even temporarily set them globally to 'Accept', still there is no go.

I really have no idea why the site would do that now because it worked before and i did not change anything on my side,...in any case there is now no way for me to enter the site (or better said the frontpage) via pn.com, i can only enter the forums now, and that only via the link in the email notification,...

Thanks very much for this program axew3, the header problem has disappeared! I'll do some more testing but it looks ok.

:orcbeer::yourock:

Jon

no, still something isn't going ok: it is a very strange issue, also because it happen seem (no other site until now have report the same). Looking for ...

Great to hear youre making progress...much appreciated.

Though there still seems to be a problem with the frontpage....

The trouble is this: When i try to enter the site via my bookmark (pinballnirvana.com) im now getting a message similar to a 404, but it doesnt say 'Cant Connect', it says (translated from german) 'Redirecting Error - The called webpage is redirecting the request in a way that it can never be completed'. Firefox additionally says that this can happen when cookies are disabled or set to 'Deny', but i did allow all cookies from this site and even temporarily set them globally to 'Accept', still there is no go.

I really have no idea why the site would do that now because it worked before and i did not change anything on my side,...in any case there is now no way for me to enter the site (or better said the frontpage) via pn.com, i can only enter the forums now, and that only via the link in the email notification,...

There used to be some kind of problem with using http://pinballnirvana.com
instead of the url with the www like this:
http://www.pinballnirvana.com

Wondering if you can try the www link and see if it works for you.

I have the domain settings as follows:
How do you like the www in your URL?
(X)Both http://www.domain.com/ and http://domain.com/ work.

Add "www." if somebody goes to http://domain.com/

Remove "www." if somebody goes to http://www.domain.com/

If the www works, maybe i should change the settings to the second option?

Hey John,

I used to use the www one, (my bookmark), i just left the www away up there so it doesnt become a link.

But the http one doesnt seem to work right either, (well, at least for me), although it doesnt give me an error message like the www one does now it just sits there and tries to connect but nothing happens,...

Anything else i can try? I have a few minutes time right now,...

Thanks for the information Phoenixx, i thought that my suggestion might help, axew3 will have to take a look. It's strange because i currently don't see this problem with multiple browsers...

:computer:

I just tried again several more times and neither www nor http does work for me. But i noticed that the http one is giving me the same redirection error too, it just takes a little longer.

I really wish i could report something positive but thats all i can say right now,...at the moment i can really only enter the forums via the link in the email-notification,...:(

EDIT: In case it is of any relevance: When i go to the frontpage via the PN banner at the top, im shown in the ActiveUsers list but the upper left corner says 'Hello unlogged User'. Now i dont know what exactly that means, but i do know that im not logged in although im listed under ActiveUsers, because when i went to the Seawitch thread it said i had to login before im allowed to post a comment. Just thought i mention it,...hope the info is of any use,...

Last edited:
All seem to work perfect now. There was a problem with going to relogin with same session and different user. Now it is solved and working fine:
hope you have not experience some testing file while i was try out some new fix.
All has been test with any Url and severals situations, and seem to be ok.
Bye all!
Regards, axew3

That did it!

Entering the site via pn.com works fine again and im also greeted with 'Hello Phoenixx'.

GREAT JOB, axew3 ! Thanks Very Much!

for any problem, (i was also now recking has something can ever be not ok) please logout and re-login from forum one time and avoid problems.
This is a fixed pnvb.php file that will be released tomorrow if all work ok (testing time).

From here it seems to work O.K., even without logging out and back in. (And im glad that it works so i do better not mess with it.)

But theres one good thing i just noticed; the site seems a thousand times faster now. Even if i quit Firefox completely and restart it with an email-link the site is now on screen almost immediately, which is a *giant* speedboost compared to before.

Outstanding Job there,...hats off to you,...

So much fast than before: i had add an instruction that was make fail PnvB on latest addition: really going well now, and the 1.0.1.2 version will be released tomorrow if nothing new come up.
Pinballnirvana.com already run the testing file, so please, for any problem let know as soon (related integration of course!).
Ops ... i have login with other account ... but it was axew3 writing :)

I've been doing some testing and 5 minutes ago I logged out and then back in, went to the forums, clicked on the Pinball Nirvana link (Banner) and was not logged in on the home page. Tried it 2 more times and was logged in.

The strange thing is, i did this procedure again just now and it's working properly, I'm logged in at the home page. I'll try to do some more testing to see if i can make the problem happen again.

note to axew3, I just changed the "Create Account" link for the Xanthia plugin
(function.userlinks.php) that appears on the home page if you are not logged in. Just in case you want to include it in your instructions for other sites.
replace user.php with forums/register.php.

I had suspect something anyway ... will check what going on ...

Yeah, something still doesnt seem to be 100% right.

When i try to enter the site via my pn.com bookmark im currently experiencing some kind of a 'now it works - now it doesnt' phenomenon. Sometimes im getting the above mentioned 'request can never be completed' message, other times the site comes up fine. Its totally random,...

The forum on the other hand seems to be working O.K. at all times, there never is any problem reaching it via the email links, even if the frontpage is giving the redirecting error,...

the most strange is that only pinballnirvana seem to affected by this: also others sites that are using PnvB X Impex version and Xantia caching active do not have report this problem. Still searching to understand what is the problem ...

P.s tomorrow i will try another way if nothing come out now ...

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back