Bally Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man Pinball (Bally, 1982) help please

johnsstart

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Hey to all im new here and to pinball altogether. I bought a mr mrs pacman pinball machine from a local guy that was selling for cheap. I brung the machine home and started researching on it. When i got it and plugged it in nothing came on so i got a ultimate mpu board and replaced the old one. Bam everything started working there were about 30 lights that were out i replaced all of them still had a few that wouldnt work. So i checked the light driver board and a few connecter pins were loose so i soldered them back tight. Now all lights work fine. Heres the problom i have now there are 2 sets left and right drop targets that are ghosts. when either one of the second targets on either side gets knocked down the flippers start scoring 5000 per hit which sucks. When i go through the cycle knocking all ghosts down and spelling pacman and the ghosts all pop back up it quit till the number 2 ghost gets hit again if anyone can help please do before i stick this thing in the yard and set fire to it thanks ahead to any that help.

Hard to tell from the distance.

Are you saying that each flipper-press scores 5000 when some of the drops are down or did i get that wrong?

Could you describe that more detailed?

Hard to tell from the distance.

Are you saying that each flipper-press scores 5000 when some of the drops are down or did i get that wrong?

Could you describe that more detailed?

Thats right everything is fine till the second drop ghost is hit on either side then every time i hit the flippers they score 5000 one other thing i noticed is after i hit all ghost targets down it goes into the pacman thing where the three pac targets behind the four ghosts on each side light up and when i hit the flipper it says m and the light goes out even if i dont hit the target i looked at the papers and all of these targets are wired in line from the mpu i just dont know what is causing it to happen:headscratch:

Three possible causes spring to mind:

1.) The switch is over sensitive and reacts to the vibration caused by the flipper coils

2.) A problem in the wiring causes the flipper buttons to activate that switch

3.) A problem on the board (hardware or software) causes the flipper buttons to trigger that switch

I think number one is by far the most likely cause, and not at all uncommon especially with older machines that havent been maintained for a long time. (As a matter of fact my own SoccerKings machine had the very same problem with one of the target banks when i got it.) The solution is rather simple: Find the switch and bend the blades a little bit farther apart. A millimeter should already be enough, so be careful not to overdo it or the switch wont register anymore at all. If you checked this and you are positive that this is not the cause, please post again and we can go over the other things.

Ok here we go i tested all the contacts and even put carboard between them so they couldnt touch at all still does same thing heres another thing i overlooked but think might be a issue when i have the machine on and the playfeild up i can touch the side metal peice that holds the glass and reach around to the playfeild and touch the little metal peice that holds one of the gates to go to the pacmaze and it will score 5000 i even put cardboard between the contact and tried it again and it still score im by far no pro but im sure this is not supposed to happen at all since the gate only scores a few hundred its self any ideas what would be causing this i have had this thing three weeks and im out of ideas and still cant play

Well, if you can trigger a switch practically by touching random parts with your body then this definitely sounds like faulty wiring to me, probably something with the ground.

Since im not really good at solving this sort of problem from a distance, (i just had to see things for myself), i think your best bet would be to describe your problem in the rec.games.pinball newsgroup as there are people who a.) fix pinball machines a lot more frequently than i do, and b.) also have experience in helping other people without actually seeing a machine. I probably could fix it if i could work on the machine myself, but since thats not an option im afraid i cannot be a great help to you with this.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: blackspatular is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back