Solved Music crashes when SFX play

Anthias

Pinball Player
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Battle For The Down
on this table I am working on, ogg music files or mp3, tested to work in other tables, after a couple of sfx are triggered, the music goes crackly and breaks up for a few seconds, then stops altogether. I am at a loss to explain why. Does anybody have any ideas?

Solution
solved it. within the table file, some sound files had become corrupt. solution:

delete all sfx from table, save and close.
reimport sfx files one at a time, testing between. discard and replace any files which cause the issue if they were already corrupt before import.

The music files are not a cause and do not need to be deleted or replaced.
Sounds have no limit on how many can be played at the same time according to the manual.

For music there are 8 available channels. So you should make sure one music stops before the other one starts in case you're using them all at some point.

If you think this is happening always on the same song, check for file corruption with a music player. Also check if you're not playing 2 music on the same channel in the code. Not sure if it's even possible but if it is, maybe it's causing issues.

Other than this I can only imagine something wrong with the sound drivers.

Thanks. Only one song in the table, only one playmusic call. Happens no matter what file is imported to the table, and every file tested works when imported to any other table. I have since posting this observed the music in a kind of muffled low volume choppy rendition sometimes continues or resumes after the game goes to attract mode, in spite of the stop music command, and once in testing it continued even after I closed FP all together! It's only this one table, and I'm stumped.

I'll try replacing sound drivers tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion. Also, based on what you suggest, I'll try adding a stop music call immediately before the play music call, just in case.

Closing FP still hearing the music is just weird! Make sure that when you close FP it stays closed in task manager.
Also, when you are launching and exiting the table to check changes, especially when things start getting weird, remember to exit the table, save it, close FP and then launch it again.

FP is even worse than windows. It needs constant "reboots" :D

For the sounddrivers thing, if you have another PC / laptop around use to test. if it works it's something on that PC.

Well, still no luck finding a fix. This mystery is quite perplexing. I'll keep plugging away. My concern is that it may be a corruption in the table file. Not sure I want to rebuild it from scratch.

Try copy to another drive and load the copy. Defrag you disk after that.

Install something like HD Sentinel ;)

Hi Anthias,
It all seems very odd indeed, can you post a copy of the table and the ogg music file here so I or someone else maybe be able to fix it for you, cheers!

How long does the does the music file play? I had a problem with a music file once on a table that would not play. I had to break it apart and play the segments in sequence.

plays for as long as you like, if you leave it in the launch lane. But start playing, and making sounds play, and it breaks within two or three sfx events.

solved it. within the table file, some sound files had become corrupt. solution:

delete all sfx from table, save and close.
reimport sfx files one at a time, testing between. discard and replace any files which cause the issue if they were already corrupt before import.

The music files are not a cause and do not need to be deleted or replaced.

Solution
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Itchigo has started a new thread called "Sounds library" in Visual Pinball and Visual PinMAME...
      Back